Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(93 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 07:50:37

Just had to giggle Gagagran - you get a new stove ... and it’s salad for tea! Love it.
?

Nannytopsy Fri 19-Feb-21 07:48:27

Also forgot - for the historians! - when this house was built there was an archaeological survey done first. We are built on the site of an Anglo Saxon long house. So exciting! I keep a sharp eye out when digging in the garden!

Nannytopsy Fri 19-Feb-21 07:42:04

Pressed the wrong button - have a good day everyone.

Kim19 Fri 19-Feb-21 07:41:51

Good morning all! Yes, Brook, I did a short stint in the garden yesterday and the feeling of optimism it generated was quite wonderful. Didn't stay out long. Soil much too waterlogged but did a fair bit of surface tidying. Hope everyone has at least one pleasurable item planned for today whatever shape or form it may take. Onwards.......

Nannytopsy Fri 19-Feb-21 07:41:27

Good morning Mick and all his followers. I’m glad to hear your cardiac appointments have come through Mick and do tell them about the occasions when you don’t feel well.
Its a lovely morning in Suffolk and I shall nip out for a few things for the DGC to eat on Saturday. Dad & Mum both on long shifts, so we have them for 36 hours. It puts paid to my diet when they are here!
DH has his jab on Saturday morning - hope there are no side effects with those two here.
We are all very fond of crumpets - pikelets to us Black Country folk! ( no not those thin ones they call pikelets now!)

brook2704 Fri 19-Feb-21 07:32:01

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve got another grey, dry and windy start to the day.
Good news about Iris grandmattie and pleased you’re feeling more upbeat too - hope all goes well at the dentist.
I enjoyed a really lovely walk yesterday, at the Rosehaugh Estate on Black Isle just north of Inverness. It’s an area we don’t know that well so it was a bit of an adventure finding new routes and paths to try out. With the help of an app on my phone we did a circular route which I always prefer rather than out and back the same way - and as an added bonus we saw an impressive display of beautiful snowdrops!
Today I’m hoping to go out into the garden for the first time in weeks, just to start tidying up snd seeing what’s starting to grow.
Thinking of everyone facing worries and struggles and feeling poorly today - hope today is gentle. I hope everyone can find something to enjoy and take care whatever the day brings ?

Sar53 Fri 19-Feb-21 07:31:03

Good morning everyone from a bright Essex by the sea where the sun is starting to show it's face. I think this is the start of a few warmer days.
DH has decided that we need to finish decorating the bedroom so I think that is what will be happening here today.
I'm glad to hear that Iris will be home soon and that GM is getting over her wobble. I have days like that and find that a good cry in the shower often works.
I'm so glad that DH and I have had our jabs as we are hearing that there is a problem with local places getting hold of the vaccine at the moment. People are being offered appointments a long way away. I'm sure it will improve.
Enjoy Friday, find a ? and stay safe everyone xx

Gagagran Fri 19-Feb-21 07:23:26

Morning everyone from a cooler south coast. 6.7c at 6am.

Really interesting about the finds hidden in your field Beauregard. We really have no idea what is beneath us do we? We live in an ancient land and millions have gone before us and left bits of their lives for us to find. I think about them, being a history lover, and find it all fascinating.

I am very pleased with the new electric stove-look-alike which we have installed in place of the wood burner. We inherited that with the house and found it difficult to regulate the heat output (far too hot) and a faff to tend. I am trying to future-proof our home for our later years so we decided to take it out. Our next door neighbour helped with the removal and is going to use it in his garden as an incinerator.

Mixed kale salad and coronation chicken on the menu today. The salad has all sorts in it including mixed seeds, nuts, spring onions, goji berries, grapes, tomatoes, beetroot and lemon dressing. It is really tasty and you can feel it doing you good!

Take care everyone and hope the day is a good one for us all. Oh, and yes I loved my school days, thank you Beechnut and Beech House was the best! sunshine

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 07:12:04

I’ve just made another cuppa & looked at ‘Last Hour’ to discover there are only 3 discussions! Most unusual. Where is everyone?

There’s usually about 20 by now (because of all the ‘Games’).
?

Sheepandcattle Fri 19-Feb-21 07:04:43

Good morning Mick and Good Morning-ers. Dark and drizzly here in Wiltshire. I’ve been down to check on the ewes and cattle - no lambs yet! The ‘ladies’ are looking far to snug and contented in their nice, dry barn to even contemplate the energetic task of giving birth! I promise to post a picture of the first lamb when it arrives. Somebody asked yesterday how long lambing would go on for - I only keep the rams in for 3 weeks so I know that lambing will on go on for 3 weeks (give or take a day or two).
Going by the colour of the raddle on the ewes bums, ( I change the colour of raddle each week that the rams are in) they should all, bar a couple, lamb in the first 2 weeks. 3 weeks of lambing is long enough for me as it takes me longer to recover the older I get!
Yesterday was very mild and other than the odd shower, very pleasant so I let the ewes out to have a graze and wander in the afternoon. One ewe ‘June’ was acting a bit scatty - not following the other ewes out and just being a bit odd, so she stayed in with me. Odd behaviour so close to lambing can be a sign of Twin Lamb Disease where the ewe basically puts all their energy into the lambs, and consequently the ewe becomes deficient. I gave her a calcium injection and drench and we spent a very pleasant afternoon in the shed together as I finished off some jobs! June and I have a history - she was the first ewe that my lovely brother ever lambed when he first came to help me at lambing 2 years ago and last year, June had a single lamb that developed a spinal cyst at only a couple of days old and lost all use of his back legs. June Was a wonderful mother and between us (!) we nursed that lamb and he eventually got the use in his legs back, albeit a bit wobbly. I have a soft spot for June!
I’m pleased to hear how well little Iris is doing - aren’t children wonderful the way they bounce back so quickly.
I’m sorry you had a low moment yesterday grandMattie. I get days where I feel that I’m failing on so many counts and then other days when I’m invincible! Funny creatures, us humans. How lovely that this thread is so supportive and non-judgmental - it really does feel like you’re surrounded by friends.
Have the best day possible everyone - Spring is just around the corner ???

Beauregard Fri 19-Feb-21 06:56:17

Good morning all from Derbyshire where it's currently dry. Good to hear you have an appointment for your jab Mick. Mine is next week too. DH had the Pfizer one on Wednesday and so far no side effects.

My early shop didn't go well yesterday. Only two checkouts open and a five trolley queue for each one. Then they opened two more just as I got to the front so I went over to one, placed my shopping on the conveyor belt, only to find the scanner wasn't working! So everything back in the trolley to move to a different check out. It took 45 minutes from the time I joined the queue to getting through and paying!

My son's partner's father asked if he could do some metal detecting on our field yesterday. He found several items, mostly bits from tools and farming machinery, but also some coins, including an Edwardian penny dating back to 1279/1300. It was all very interesting and I didn't expect he'd find anything. I fancy getting a metal detector now!

Hope all is well with Iris and today is a good day for all.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 06:55:26

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s dry and dark. I’m pleased to say I’m joining the upbeat crowd above me this morning! That awful headache has gone along with the muscle aches. I slept myself right from 9pm and feel part of the Uman Race again today!
?

Yes Scentia isn’t it fantastic how many of us are now vaccinated? I wonder what Boris will say. Cautious baby steps I hope - we really don’t want another lockdown ever again. That in itself is something to look forward to eh?

I shall be frying bacon later when Himself stirs his stumps. I didn’t each much yesterday and I’m hungry!

Hope your dreaded dental appointment goes well granMattie and that Friday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Beechnut Fri 19-Feb-21 06:47:41

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. Another wet one ☔️.

I didn’t go to school in Isleworth Auntieflo. I had to look it up to see where it was.....the shame. I hope you have good school day memories Gagagran what with my name reminding you of your house.

Good news about Iris Mattie. I Hope you and others under the weather feel more cheery today.

Take care and stay safe ?

Scentia Fri 19-Feb-21 06:40:53

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it feels rather mild.
I think you are right about getting out for a gentle stroll Mick fresh air is a great healer, much better than getting anxious inside shops❤️
Work today but only until about 3pm then I am going to clear out my shed to make an indoor playroom for my Guinea Pigs (don’t judge me I know it’s excessive ??)
My curtain material still hasn’t arrived, but they promised it will be here on Saturday.
DSiL will be home this afternoon and I can’t wait for him to see I have taken all his ‘dump’ pile to the tip last week. Every time I speak to him, he says “I really must shift that pile before DGS wants to play out”. Well DSiL, your favourite MiL has taken it for you?
Now then folks, it is the weekend and we must try and find a smile, 16 1/2 million of us have been vaccinated and Boris is going to tell us the plan on Monday???

Pantglas2 Fri 19-Feb-21 06:34:33

Morning Mick and all who follow from a blowy north Wales ?

Sorry to read about after effects of ? for some, hope you’re all feeling better soon and GrandMattie ? to cheer you up - you’re a vital cog on the early shift here!

Another crumpet aficionado StillLearning? EllanVannin is our crumpet Queen- I think she enjoys them every day whereas I’m a beginner, saving them for weekends ?

Welcome to the newbies and hope the regulars under the weather have a good day - Cherry, AuntieFlo, et al
LauraNorder was uber efficient sending ? yesterday GrandmaFrench - here’s hoping she’s on the ball again today!

grandMattie Fri 19-Feb-21 06:33:23

Good morning all you lovely peeps, from a dark, grey E Kent.
Iris - after a “droopy” morning, she was unhooked from all the lines and allowed to go to the cafe (?) to see her sister DGD1 and her parents swap over. She suddenly perked up, ate a whole packet of biscuits and had a large cup of tea! She’s most likely out first thing today.

During yesterday morning, DGD1 called on Skype for a chat. I had sent money for DD to get the girls something after the op. She chose scrapbooking papers and called to thank me and show rather results. Lovely surprise, lovely chat!

Q. What are you doing today?
A. Nothing.
Q. But you did that yesterday.
A. I know but I haven’t finished...

If only! I’ve got a tooth extraction from an infected root under a crown. Not looking forward to that. Bless him, DH is taking me, and bless them, the surgery is allowing him to wait indoors. Small things...

You are a really lovely lot of people, with all your good wishes, kind words and encouragement. Much less wobbly today!

Hope today is kind to everyone. Stay safe. ????☀️☀️❤️

Dwmxwg Fri 19-Feb-21 06:33:18

Good morning Mick and all to come from north Surrey.
Start a run of 3 days work today. Dog walk this morning for some much needed fresh air before I leave.
Wishing all a pleasant weekend. Special thoughts to Georgesgran and Auntieflo

12Michael Fri 19-Feb-21 06:20:37

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but remains dry here in Brackley tis morning .
Yesterday, felt a little under the weather , so took paracetamols, to ease it.
Also had my re appointment for my jab which will be the phizer one , a week tomorrow .
Plus more cardiac appointments, still not a 100% but I getting there with the lockdown, the need to actually go out apart from a small shop at a steady pace.
Mick