Gransnet forums

Chat

Retirement

(81 Posts)
Cabbie21 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:00:31

I loved my job too, and I did work an extra 18 months after I could have retired. Now( pre-pandemic anyway) I am one of those people who wondered how they had time to work. Well that is not strictly true of course. The truth is that when I worked I had little time to do anything else. Now I have time for family, hobbies, voluntary work, church, three choirs, days out... and to do nothing if I choose.

Pantglas2 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:58:35

I suspect from what you’ve posted that you wouldn’t enjoy it Grannyrebel - I had acquaintances of a similar mindset who were appalled at my decision to retire four years ago, well before I get my SP at the end of this year!

However my closest friends, who knew me well, agreed with me that I’d never been bored in my life and would find stuff to do to keep body and brain busy!

They were right and COVID notwithstanding my retirement life has been delightful.

Only you know your interests, hobbies and ambitions so add them up and see how fulfilled you might be.

PernillaVanilla Thu 11-Mar-21 08:57:12

Me too. I always said that I would not let the government make me work until I was 66, so I'm thinking of going at the end of this year when I'd be 65 and 4 months. I haven't enjoyed my job in social care management since Covid came along and I don't think I want to go through another full winter. On the other hand if I stay til next August there will be a bit extra in the pension pot and I will get my state pension, which is better than most as I have some SERPS and SSP to come.
I'm probably going to do some freelance work on a self employed basis for a few hours a week and spend more time with the dog and at the gym, more travel and all the usual stuff. DH is semi retired and works 2 days a week, that seems to be a good working pattern, especially if you enjoy what you do.

Daisymae Thu 11-Mar-21 08:53:13

When you do retire you should have some sort of plan. You will have time on your hands to do what you want, hobbies, volunteering, travel, visit friends, family etc. Of course all this starts with your finances. Maybe there are some online retirement planning courses you could check out? It's as well to have a plan, whether you choose to go this year or not.

Shinamae Thu 11-Mar-21 08:52:26

I could have retired at 63,I am now 68 and still working part time in a care home and I absolutely love it. If I were to retire I would probably just become a couch potato and eat and eat and eat.....?‍♀️

grannyrebel7 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:48:15

Just wondering, has anyone retired and lived to regret it?I could retire in July, but I don't think I want to. I think I'm scared of becoming an old person! Also I don't know what I'd do with myself every day. I enjoy work and would miss the social interaction with my colleagues. Would love yours thoughts on this.