Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Philip's gaffes

(95 Posts)
overthehill Sun 18-Apr-21 10:13:41

Let me say I'm no fan of the Monarchy and Prince Philip in particular.

I did read through a list of his gaffes and so called jokes. Seems he was excused his insults because of who he was and it was laughingly passed of as his 'direct' manner.

Of course I feel sorry for anyone who has lost their soulmate, but find his reverence very over the top.

I watched some of the funeral and was in awe of the whole spectacle, which Britain is so good at.

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 14:51:00

Except, Deeda, he repeatedly made racist comments. So much so that he was known for it.

Deedaa Sun 18-Apr-21 14:49:53

Prince Philip must have met more people of more races than almost anyone else in the world. He was renowned for being intensely interested in people. The last sort of person likely to be racist.
I heard a paralympian saying that after some race that had involved water he said that at least she wouldn't have got her feet wet in her wheelchair. Another girl who is sometimes confined to a wheelchair said she thought it was hilarious but no doubt some people would be offended.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:42:42

Erm.. who said I was offended? I know there are certain people who think racism is just about offending snowflakes, how wrong you are. Get yourself educated on the subject.

rafichagran Sun 18-Apr-21 14:38:03

I think this thread was posted deliberately to get derisive responses about PP.
A silly, unpleasant and badly timed thread.
As a poster said upthread, he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

MerylStreep Sun 18-Apr-21 14:36:48

Alegrias
So your offended on behalf of a person who it was said to who wasn’t offended. Brilliant ?

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:31:17

Well, he's entitled to his opinion. Just because he didn't think it was a racist comment, it doesn't mean I have to agree with him.

Lots of women don't mind being called girls. Doesn't mean its OK to refer to them that way.

BTW, its Alegrias Thought I'd point that out, just for you.

nanna8 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:18:50

You’re not wrong there molly

Mollygo Sun 18-Apr-21 14:13:17

nanna8

What a disgusting and ill timed thread. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone seems apt here.

But nanna8 did you not know that if your sins aren’t made public like those of Prince Philip, or other famous figures, they don’t count.
So in the anonymity on GN you can cast as many stones as you like.

Marydoll Sun 18-Apr-21 14:10:59

The man has just died. What benefit is there in discussing what he was or not guilty of.
An unpleasant and ill timed thread.

Lollin Sun 18-Apr-21 14:10:37

Callistemon so like someone saying “kicked the ball like a girl” then afterwards saying they meant to say “kicked like a child”, for example?

MerylStreep Sun 18-Apr-21 14:02:09

Ailgrias
An explanation, just for you.
www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-03/prince-philip-was-not-a-racist-indigenous-performer-says/9504278

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 13:59:38

AmberSpyglass i am not arguing, just giving my opinion

nanna8 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:56:20

What a disgusting and ill timed thread. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone seems apt here.

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 13:46:49

"Looks like it was fitted by an Indian"

He did say afterwards that he meant to say cowboy.

But that could be anti-cowboy of course, if someone objects.

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 13:45:43

anniebach How on earth can you argue that those comments don’t meet the dictionary definition of racism?!

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 13:38:22

I have been to lots of funerals where the deceased was referred to as blunt, a character, didnt suffer fools, not to vilify but to you know recognise peoples humanity. I wasnt particularly talking about the funeral either more about the conversations I have seen and heard.
I was sad to hear about Nikki from Big Brother for example, but if someone came on and said crikey she was over dramatic on TV I wouldnt argue. It's about having some sort of grip on reality rather than treating people like puppets.

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:37:19

Alegrias1

"Do you still throw spears at each other?"

Not even going to write down the Chinese one.....

Actually the person the comment about spears was made to has said it was a joke

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 13:32:55

Those were antagonistic

Kamiso Sun 18-Apr-21 13:31:12

Galaxy

Yes because those who only talk about his good deeds arent really talking about the man at all. Only about a pretence of the man. We are all a mixture of both good and bad. I hope people dont remember me in the way they have PP, it's not real. But then none of these people actually know him anyway.

Attended lots of funerals when I set up a local gynae cancer support group and most participating had ovarian cancer.

Funnily enough there was never one funeral where the less pleasant side of the deceased was dragged up to vilify them.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:23:34

"Do you still throw spears at each other?"

Not even going to write down the Chinese one.....

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 13:19:06

BlueBell will you explain which of his jokes fits with -

racist
/ˈreɪsɪst/
adjective
prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
"we are investigating complaints about racist abuse"
noun
a person who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
"he has been targeted by vicious racists online"

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 13:17:13

Yes it just confirms the whole soap opera feel of it. I have come to the conclusion that those who support the rf the most are the ones whose treatment of them is really not kind.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Apr-21 13:10:45

Perhaps you would see his ‘little jokes’ though different eyes Annie if you were on the end of his remarks

How anyone can see racist comments as little jokes is absolutely beyond me and incredibly sad that people are so careless with words then pass them off as ‘just joking’ and not only that turn it round and blame the complainer of being a snowflake UNBELIEVABLE

I have no problem with the Duke at all, he had a long and eventful life I m sure he would be the first person to say he was no saint and surely you are allowed to see and talk about a person faults as well as they saintly actions He was a human who like most people had a not so nice side as well as a good side why do people think that you are a hater if you accept someone has faults

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:52:19

A good friend once said to me that the people he considered most racist were those who were offended on his behalf - it was as if they didn't think he was smart enough to know when (or indeed if) he had been insulted.

Lollin Sun 18-Apr-21 12:49:38

Anniebach

Agree with BlueSky I think things he said which are called
racists were not racist , they were jokes.

I have read some things on GN that leave me amazed, gob smacked, and this has to be at the top of that list (if such a list existed).

I really do not understand this, or do I and but I just don’t want to?