Gransnet forums

Chat

Unusual or Interesting Names in your Family ?

(107 Posts)
Gwyneth Mon 07-Jun-21 11:10:36

Thank you fanny. I think many families have their own pronunciations of names which I think is rather nice.

BBbevan Mon 07-Jun-21 11:09:52

My maternal GPS were Olive and William, the others Mary and Arthur. We have a lot of Welsh names in the family. Eirwen, Valmai, Huw, Trefor etc. My name and my sister’s are so unusual as we would be instantly recognised on GN

FannyCornforth Mon 07-Jun-21 11:03:57

Thank you Gwyneth
Clara was my great grandmother's first name.
She pronounced it Clare-a, not
Clah-ra.
And my Nan pronounced her own name Duh-reen, not Door-een.
That side of the family must have an awkward streak!

I should have just titled the thread 'Grandparents' Names', come to think of it!
Dwynwen is beautiful.

monk08 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:03:09

My great grandmother was Fanny Eliza she named her daughter Lizzie. On my grandfather's side he had sisters called Myrita Victoria and Jorie Beatrice.

Gwyneth Mon 07-Jun-21 10:52:13

Love the name Clara fanny. We don’t have any unusual names in our family but a lot of Welsh names . My mother’s sister was Dwynwen which means Valentine. But we always called her Auntie Wyn.

V3ra Mon 07-Jun-21 10:52:02

My grandparents' names were Mabel Agnes, William Charles, Sophia Elizabeth and Frederick George.
Some of these have stood the test of time or come round again.

FannyCornforth Mon 07-Jun-21 10:44:28

Hello Everyone! ?

Vaguely topical, but very non-controversial.
I'm fascinated by names - I know that a lot of us are.

It's oft mentioned that names' popularity is cyclical; and I recall that recently someone in the public eye has named his new born daughter after her grand mother and great grandmother...?

My Grandparents' names have never really come back into fashion:
Kenneth Gilbert and Doreen Clara on one side, and on the other, Frederick and Margaret.

I think that Freddie is currently quite popular, and Margaret, I'm sure, must be due due for a revival.
Gilbert is an an absolute cracker!

So, what were your Grandparents' names?
Or do you have any unusual or interesting names in you family?

Thank you! x