Gransnet forums

Chat

Parking

(113 Posts)
Chewbacca Mon 13-Sep-21 19:43:51

Provided your car is taxed, insured, not blocking any access, not parked on double yellow lines, not parked within or opposite a junction within 10 metres and you're parking within the Highways Agency's clearly marked parking zones/times; you're doing nothing wrong. No one owns the pavement or bit of road outside their house; no matter how much they think they do.

H1954 Mon 13-Sep-21 19:21:06

No one parks outside my house for very long.......there's a lamppost very close to the kerbside and the pigeons sit on the top doing what pigeons do.......in large quantities ???

Millie22 Mon 13-Sep-21 19:14:03

This is a big problem when you live near to an airport and people can park outside your house for 1 or 2 weeks. They don't want to pay for airport parking but will spend a lot of money on their holiday.

eazybee Mon 13-Sep-21 16:46:10

You are allowed to park outside anyone's property providing you do not block access, but I do feel sorry for people who live near hospitals, surgeries, football grounds, schools and shops as they never have space available in front of their own house.
Lack of adequate parking facilities, which planners refuse to take into account when building.
This is why so many people concrete over their drives because they have nowhere else to park.

JaneJudge Mon 13-Sep-21 16:43:10

I really dislike how others upset others with their made up rules, especially around parking

AGAA4 Mon 13-Sep-21 16:40:45

Roads and pavements are nearly always the responsibility of the council and are not owned by the people who live on that road.

I once parked my car on a side street where I was not blocking anyone's access. When I returned to my car it had been deliberately blocked in and a note on my windscreen saying "Park in your own street".

Mollygo Mon 13-Sep-21 16:39:17

DH was only away 15 minutes so I’m not blocking the view any more.
Lorries do seem to go home with workers now. We have two coaches-parked on a bend in the road which makes it difficult to get past but they’re not directly outside anyone’s house.

Rosie51 Mon 13-Sep-21 16:25:29

I agree maddyone about lorries being parked in residential roads, other than when they are doing a delivery. It used to be that years ago you didn't see commercial vehicles parked on residential streets, they were housed at the company parking areas. Now the workers seem to bring them home. Just a road away from me there have been 4 DPD vans parked in a line, and when they are grouped like that it makes it quite difficult to see past them for making the turn. Luckily it's a minor road turning into another minor road, otherwise it would be a more dangerous exercise.

maddyone Mon 13-Sep-21 15:37:11

I agree that it’s perfectly acceptable and legal to park on any bit of road where it’s legally allowed, including outside other people’s houses. However I do not agree that lorries should be allowed to park in residential areas, often with part of the lorry on the pavement because the road itself is narrow. Last week I saw a situation like this where a large vehicle couldn’t get through due to two lorries parked on a fairly narrow residential road. I was behind the large vehicle. We both had to reverse down the narrow road with cars parked on both sides in order to eventually turn around and use a different route. What if it had been a fire engine that was unable to get through?

theworriedwell Mon 13-Sep-21 15:18:29

I remember when I was at work one day and two women, bit Hyacinth Bucket, were complaining about people parking outside their houses and how awful it was. I looked out of the window and could clearly see the one woman's car parked on the opposite side of the road outside someone's house.

She got very sniffy when I pointed it out and she gave a very long and jumbled explanation of why that was OK, I think it was to do with living on a busy road, living opposite offices and anyway it was a council house.

I was a teenager and basically ended up being told to mind my own business.

Grannynannywanny Mon 13-Sep-21 15:12:55

Mollygo if you’re not blocking access to their property or disregarding and notices about “residents only” parking then you are perfectly within your rights to park. This self righteous pair don’t own the road outside their house.

Rosie51 Mon 13-Sep-21 15:12:29

I get fed up with people who take the attitude the road outside their house "belongs" to them. If it's legal to park there, and the vehicle in question is legally on the road, anyone is entitled to park. I did once challenge someone if they ever parked outside a house not belonging to them. The answer I got was only ever outside the houses of friends or family and it was always "their" bit of the road. No I didn't believe it either and told them so grin

Mollygo Mon 13-Sep-21 15:01:03

I know parking has been done time and again, but I’ve just been reprimanded by a couple, for parking in the road outside their house while my DH is at the docs.
I’m not blocking access, their car is on the drive and they have a stretch of garden and a wall and pavement between us, but they, “Don’t want to look out of the window and see my car!”
I smiled, apologised and explained why I was there and that I’d be gone soon, but I might be glad I couldn’t hear what they went off muttering to each other.