Gransnet forums

Chat

Keeping warm

(156 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 07-Oct-21 22:22:40

There was a lady interviewed on the news today who was very worried about the predicted rise in fuel bills - and I felt very sorry for her.

But I was perplexed by something she said about how awful it was that she had to wear a cardigan about the house. I cannot remember her exact words but it sounded as though she felt this was a cause for concern.

I can remember when I was still working I used to visit homes in the middle of the winter and people were dressed in T-shirts and I often thought about what their heating bills must be like. Their heating was turned up to a level where a T-shirt was sufficient.

When winter arrives, indoors I will be wearing: long-sleeved vest, long-sleeved polo neck, thick jumper, cardigan, and leggings under my jeans. I still have the heating on, but hopefully not as much or as high.

I think we will all need to accept the need to wear more layers indoors. I am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay my bills, so I do not share the anxiety that this poor woman had. But I suspect that there needs to be a change in how we heat our homes - some of the heat can come from clothes. It would also go towards saving the planet.

SueDonim Mon 11-Oct-21 15:15:49

Noise, not house!

SueDonim Mon 11-Oct-21 15:15:15

Speaking of chimneys, I can thoroughly recommend a Chimney Sheep. www.chimneysheep.co.uk/

I use one in my chimney when we don’t have the fire (which is mostly only at weekends) and the difference is extraordinary. You know when you buy something, thinking that really, it’s just a gimmick? Well, this isn’t a gimmick, it works! Our chimney is also placed so that up the wind makes so much noise that it times we can’t hear each other speak. This cuts out 90% of house too.

And no, I don’t have any connections to the company, I’m just a happy customer.,

M0nica Mon 11-Oct-21 15:08:31

Hetty58 Most old houses do not have thick walls. Look at all those 19th centtury terraces and semi detached houses, to be found in almost every city , town and village in Britain. Look at all the Georgian and earlier houses Many Gerogian houses have very thin walls, so do most of those quaint village houses with their undulating walls and roofs. Many of those have walls that are only inches thick.

When we moved in to our current home, in places the external walls were only 2 inches thick, one whole exterior wall was only 4 inch thick, the thickness of one brick. Many older houses were built before chimneys were common in houses (like ours) and the chimney and breast are a later add on, usually built on an outside wall. .

We are lucky our huge chimney was built in the middle of the house, but it only becomes any kind of heat sink when we have the stove burning for 4 days or more. The last time that happened was when we were without gas for 10 days, Normally it is a Sunday afternoon only stove. Anyway, any advantage of the chimney is mitigated by the thin exterior walls and single glazed windows, although we have put in some internal wall insulation and do have some double glazed windows.

Look at all those really old stately homes, like Hardwick Hall, all glass and thin walls. My immediate reaction when I first visited was: 'This house must be absolutely freezing in winter'

Yes there are old houses with thick walls and heavy chimney breasts, but they are the minority.

EmilyHarburn Mon 11-Oct-21 14:49:22

I expect to wear a few layers in winter in doors. Often an an extra gilet or now I have a marvelous microfiber beach robe. an expensive one but these would be OK. its nicer than a blanket as it comes with me as I make a drink during the commercials
www.amazon.co.uk/Microfiber-Swimming-Surfing-Watersports-Activities/dp/B09292Z9QG/ref=cs_sr_dp_4?dchild=1&keywords=Beach+Robe&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1633960041&sr=8-10

Gabrielle56 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:54:57

BigBertha1

I'm with Riverwalk as I dislike wearing a lot of clothes indoors in winter although I do wear more and often have a knee rug in the evening. We chose to buy a new build house for the efficient heating and insulation. We chose not to purchase the fire place option with additional gas fire as we thought that was wasteful. The thing I hate is having to wear socks but it will be necessary in the next few weeks I'm sure.

Well you pays yer money , yer takes yer choice! We moderate our heating, usually no higher than 22c and were brought up with indoors icicles etc etc. But because we're ok with wearing winter clothes ......in winter- we're able to spend on other stuff, like a luxury new hybrid car, 5star breaks, really good food etc. So I much prefer a higher standard of living as opposed to dressing like I'm on a beach in middle of winter and crippling bills!

Hetty58 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:07:35

M0nica, old houses with their thick walls and hefty chimneys have so much thermal mass that they just don't suffer from rapid fluctuations in temperature.

Cool in heatwaves and warm in cold snaps - lovely. I'm making some old fashioned solid wooden shutters for the downstairs loo, as I know it's only chilly in there, at night, due to heat loss through the window.

Hetty58 Mon 11-Oct-21 10:42:32

Shandy57, the 'pipes freezing' situation sounds familiar. Of course, there's only one pipe left in the loft now, since the boiler was changed - and no tanks either. The insulation is above the pipe (not below) so it will never freeze.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 08:26:55

Our night temperature is set at 15c

M0nica Mon 11-Oct-21 07:29:37

Pipes only burst if the indoor temperatures fall below 0 degrees for hours on end, which shouldn't happen in any house with CH, and would be highly unlikely in a house built as recently as 1988.

We live in a house built in 1467, which we have insulated as much as we can. We have a froststat setting on our CH which automatically turns the heating on if the internal temperature falls to 15 degrees. To the best of my knowledge, no matter how cold it is outside, the indoor temperature has never fallen that low, even though the heating is off for 8 hours overnight and 6.5 hours during the day.

Charleygirl5 Sun 10-Oct-21 22:36:18

When the T is going to be minus overnight I keep the heating on very low so that the pipes do not burst. Much cheaper than a hefty plumber's bill.

My house, built in 1988 is well insulated so I am able to keep the T at a steady at 18C.

M0nica Sun 10-Oct-21 22:15:28

Bijou I suspect that your bungalow was not insulated to modern standards. Keeping the heating on all the time at a low level was then a general recommendation for all homes because the temperature drop if it was off more than a few hours was so steep.

Now that most houses, even older ones, have much higher levels of insulation than they did in the past, the temperature in a house drops far more slowly than it did in the past and the old advice has been revised. You would now use more gas/oil if you had the heating on low all the time than if it cycled on and off.

We have a (very) old, but well insulated house. The heating is on for 3.5 hours in the morning and 6 hours in the evening and it is only on the coldest days that the indoors temperature drops by more than 2 degrees in the periods when the heating is off. Usually it is much less than that.

TiggyW Sun 10-Oct-21 21:50:51

Jaibee007

‘Cashmere is the no 1 weapon to get you through an English winter - cashmere bedsocks, cashmere sweaters and scarf plus hat’

Cashmere is lovely, but may be a little pricey for some folk. Fleece is the best invention since Velcro and it’s also relatively cheap, easy to wash and dries quickly.
I’m also a fan of feather and down gilets, but they can be expensive.
I was reading an earlier post about Liberty bodices! I remember wearing those in the 50s/60s! I used to get dressed for school downstairs in front of an open coal fire, because the bedroom was so cold.
At least nowadays, radiators take the chill off bedrooms, but it’s supposed to be healthier to sleep in a cool room. My feet always tell me if I’m not warm enough! grin

Bijou Sun 10-Oct-21 21:29:17

Re the argument re turning the heating off overnight. Years ago we lived in a bungalow with oil heating . We used to have to work away Monday to Friday. At first we turned the heating off whilst we were away and it took the weekend before the place was warm.. So we experimented by leaving the heating on low during the week and found we used less oil.

nexus63 Sun 10-Oct-21 20:39:58

my HA upgraded our houses 8 years ago, new radiators, boiler and windows, i have never had the radiators on and just use a halogen heater in my living room and electric blanket on the bed, i wear fluffy pjs, thick socks and have a throw for sitting on the couch, most of the residents are elderly and had electric bills of over a thousand pound last year for two months use, i don't have that sort of money so i will layer up, talking about heating, i just spent 3 weeks in hospital and my temp was down a few times..not because of my illness but because the heating was turned down on the ward, one 80 year old had 6 blankets on the bed, one wrapped around her head and shoulders and some heating packs, i used to lay in bed wishing for my mums old sheepskin coat that she used to put on my bed when i was young...lol

M0nica Sun 10-Oct-21 19:42:19

A couple of years ago we had trouble with our gas supply and 20 houses in our village were without gas dor over a week, with several shorter outages.

Fortunately we have a wood burning stove in a huge brick chimney stack (it is a very old house). After about 4 days the whole chimney stack warmed through and acted like a huge storage radiator. It kept the whole downstairs warm and because the stack ran between the two main bedrooms, it kept them warm as well.

M0nica Sun 10-Oct-21 19:42:19

A couple of years ago we had trouble with our gas supply and 20 houses in our village were without gas dor over a week, with several shorter outages.

Fortunately we have a wood burning stove in a huge brick chimney stack (it is a very old house). After about 4 days the whole chimney stack warmed through and acted like a huge storage radiator. It kept the whole downstairs warm and because the stack ran between the two main bedrooms, it kept them warm as well.

Callistemon Sun 10-Oct-21 19:38:56

JenniferEccles

I believe experiments have been done to try to establish whether, in the long run, it’s cheaper to keep the central heating on low all night rather than it going off at bedtime.

The thinking is that, particularly during a very cold spell, the house gets so cold at night if the heating is off, that a lot of energy is needed to warm it up again.

By leaving it on very low at night the thinking goes, the whole fabric of the house remains reasonably warm so it’s not starting each day from a low temperature.

I am not sure what the findings were but I do have friends who do this to make the inevitable night time loo visit a bit less of a shock temperature-wise!

Yes, we have often wondered this.

We dislike a warm bedroom and as the heat rises this is enough. Unused bedrooms are regulated by a thermostat on low with doors closed so they don't get really chilly.

Welshy Sun 10-Oct-21 19:26:59

If any of you have dehumidifiers use it instead of a tumble dryer to dry your clothes. Much cheaper. Both my son and daughter use their's for this, it's the only way they dry their washing. It's surprising how much heat they throw out too.

I find if you wear a vest tucked in, under your jumpers and a scarf or snood around your neck, also helps to keep you warm.

I have a few of those waffle, light weight throws from Wilko. I buy them when they have a sale £8 reduced from £16. I even use one as a top sheet in bed.

Bugbabe2019 Sun 10-Oct-21 19:09:54

I always wear a cardigan or jumper in the house rather than turn the heating up
I feel suffocated with the heating on too high
I also always turn it off at night and out extra blankets on if need be
My daughter is 20 she hates staying at her BFs parents house as they have the heating in all night snd she’s not used to it
I live in a stone built house too so it’s quite cold

Musicgirl Sun 10-Oct-21 19:06:57

I do wear warm cardigans and jumpers but have the heating in the low twenties if needed. I don’t like the feel of blankets.

OldHag Sun 10-Oct-21 18:47:28

When we bought our first home, we had Economy 7 heating, which was incredibly expensive, so after our first, massive Winter fuel bill, we learned our lesson and went back to wrapping up in more clothes throughout winter as I'd always done at home, to save on the bills. As our finances improved, we slipped into the habit of wearing T-shirts around the house even in the really cold weather, because we could simply pop the heating on. However, then we bought a house in Spain which we visited at various times of year, and realised on our first winter visit that the Spanish all wear polo neck sweaters with their jeans, and thick padded fleece jackets. Come the evenings we realised why - the temperature drops really quickly out there, and with most homes having tiled floors, and no central heating, you really do NEED to put on extra layers. So after our first night of being freezing cold, we went out the next day and invested in warm sweaters, at which point I suddenly realised that I hadn't worn a polo neck sweater for years, because I simply didn't need to at home. Then the penny dropped that for years I'd been throwing away money, by heating the house rather than my body. I now suffer from a disability which is made much worse by my getting cold, so not only do I wrap up warm when necessary, I have a hot water bottle at my back, then as that cools, and it is replaced, the cooler one gets relegated to my feet helping to keep them cosy too. I also spend a lot of time stuck in bed with my disability, so don't ever need the heating on until early evening, and then it's just on for long enough to take the chill off, before snuggling down to sleep.

GillT57 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:38:29

On a separate note, does anyone use/recommend heated throws? Adult child living in a beautiful but cold flat in London; louvre windows in kitchen (remember those?), draughty old sash windows in.the high ceilinged living room.

NanaPlenty Sun 10-Oct-21 18:33:06

I feel it’s more healthy not to have too much heat indoors - would always rather put another layer on before turning the heating up.

Granny1810 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:27:41

A blanket and a hot water bottle for me in the evening. Perfect

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:18:12

I actually don’t find ‘ layering up’, makes any difference. Never has. I am hot most of the time now anyway. Interestingly enough, it’s my husband who feels the cold more now.

However, if the house is cold...it doesn’t matter what I’m wearing. I just can feel chilled. It’s also not good for the house to get cold and damp. Can cause other problems.

We find the heating around 20 degrees seems to be the magic number when really cold out. Suits us both.