Gransnet forums

Chat

I Do Miss…..

(109 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 10-Oct-21 10:28:21

Woolworths.

And before anyone says “Well, if only people had used it more”.

But I did.

Only this morning, made some tomato soup and blitzed it up with a hand held blender, bought from there for about a fiver.

The bedding on the spare bed is from there, the bath and hand towels in the bathroom also.

Reasonable prices, good quality, nearly always found a bargain when I went in.

The old store is now a B&M type store, very useful, but I still miss Woolies.

Callistemon Mon 11-Oct-21 14:50:22

Beware of Debenhams' "sale"

Having been a customer for years I bought some sportswear for the DGC earlier this year.
It seemed good quality and was reduced although not cheap.

Afterwards I saw the identical items on the Next site far cheaper and apparently not reduced either! Debenhams must have hiked up the price artificially and their complaints department was just not interested.
I know I should have shopped round but I trusted Debenhams.

Bluecat Mon 11-Oct-21 13:41:23

My DH was a manager at several Woolworths, and got out before they went bust. It was clear that they had lost their niche in the market. Other shops, such as the supermarkets, Wilko, Superdrug, etc, were selling many of the products that people would once have gone straight to Woolies to buy.

During my DH's time, there were a couple of attempts to revamp their image and find a niche. One was "What Debbie wants", with the idea of stocking products which would appeal to their typical customer - the imaginary Debbie, a young working mum with 2 kids. Evidently Debbie didn't want what Woolies was offering, as profits kept declining. Then they decided to go for the niche market of party supplies. That didn't work either.

It became obvious that their days were numbered. When my DH got the chance to get another job, he took it, and others were doing the same. Woolies just lost its place in the market. Too many others had encroached on its turf.

I think everyone misses the pick'n'mix, though.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Oct-21 13:07:11

Blimey that a major generalisation gabrielle and a nasty comments about the models Maybe not to your taste but why the bitter vitriol
I don’t think there needs to be ‘old peoples’ shops I don’t much like M and S but surely that’s the sort of clothes you’re talking about isn’t it and they re still around We ve never had a Debenhams so nothing to miss for me there We have had two big stores close down though
Probably the reason I get most of mine from charity shops
We have New Look M and S still got Bon Marche and peacocks otherwise it’s off to the nearest city which has more shops or else buy online
I totally disagree with you thinking the young people buy things for a fiver it doesn’t happen in my family for sure they are the once spending the money on very expensive stuff

CBBL Mon 11-Oct-21 13:00:57

I loved both C & A and BHS. Go to stores for Clothes, bedding and household goods.

Mollygo Mon 11-Oct-21 12:59:34

I thought Bon Marché had closed down, but shopping in Eastleigh recently-there it was. Evidently lots of their stores are still open.

inishowen Mon 11-Oct-21 12:56:25

As a teenager my friend and I went to Woolies for our tights and makeup. Then to the top floor canteen for a cheap lunch. If we had any money left we'd go into the photo booth and take daft photos.

Gabrielle56 Mon 11-Oct-21 12:15:15

Debenhams passing is a sad tale. I often wonder where all the older ladies/chaps who just want to get an ordinary raincoat/ shirt/jacket/nightie/ skirt/blouse/ jumper at a reasonable price and good quality will now shop? The people who have taken over are ALL online and selling off old stock for a pittance just to get rid! Their replacements are utter trash! Modelled by what look like either anorexic druggies or ten Bob tarts! Appallingly bad move. Everything nowadays is aimed at the young disposable plastic fantastic generation, I was shocked to learn they think nothing of wearing stuff ONCE then chucking it!!! When it costs a fiver, what's stopping them?

Diggingdoris Mon 11-Oct-21 12:06:15

BHS
C&A
Richards
Bon Marche
Oh dear I see a theme here! No I'm not a clothes shopaholic, in fact I have things in my wardrobe that are donkeys years old.

Lin663 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:45:53

Talk about a trip down memory lane…I had forgotten about so many of these shops Ethel Austen, Adams etc…guess the fact I haven’t thought about them is the reason they didn’t last….

Twig14 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:45:21

I agree with Teacheranne miss lighting section in BHS always had lovely table lamps

springishere Mon 11-Oct-21 11:44:37

Does anyone remember Lewis's in Manchester? I worked there for six weeks after I left school, and was what was called "mobile" - different counter each day. You got a penny in the pound commission, so we didn't like the button counter. Lost a stone in weight just standing up for 5 and a half days a week.

4allweknow Mon 11-Oct-21 11:42:41

Saturday job in Woolies. First the sweet counter then promotion to china and footwear. It was okay, but found the supervisors rather stern, even for late 50s. Woolworths was the go to shop in those days.

Nannan2 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:31:27

There was a HUGE dept store, when we moved down south when i was little, Camp Hopson's it was called- it was similar to Debenhams, or John Lewis, but also had gardening depts and a food floor etc (think the "are you being served" store?) every christmas it trimmed up big style, and the grotto was wonderful, all silver 'icicles' trimmings and an elf-land type route leading to a big, shiny santa's grotto! It was so magical! (i was about 5/6 then) Kids these days have never seen anything as nice, on that big a scale.And probably wont, as all department stores are almost gone.?

Janetashbolt Mon 11-Oct-21 11:28:15

Had my fisrt Saturday job there, on the seasonal counter, Auguat Bank Holiday Monday, Southend on Sea, me and another Saturday girl run off our feet. Manager said we did an excellent job but you can't spend thank yous so we both got a £1 bonus, we only got paid £1 (folding money then) so it was great. Can't remeber what I had for lunch yesterday but remmeber Woollies!!!

MissAdventure Mon 11-Oct-21 11:20:45

I didn't know that.
I used to like Ethel Austin, but Peacocks I'm not at all fussed about.

Bijou Mon 11-Oct-21 11:20:00

C & A. I still have a hat from there. Woolworths. When they were closing down bought hand blender and crockery. When my children were eight and ten (1957) they bought me some daisy earrings from Woolies for my birthday. I still have them. Also Weigh and Save. For a person living alone it was useful to be able to buy small quantities.

Nannan2 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:19:20

Ethel Austins became Peacocks- and a lot of their branches are closing one by one as well.

muppett1 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:18:40

Nell8 love your comment about Maplins. The middle aisles at Aldi are a reasonable substitute!

Nannan2 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:14:40

Yes i too miss woolies! And C&A, and even little chef- years ago, when my then hubby and i went anywhere, holidays/days out etc we would try call in to a different little chef each time, as the kids loved it, and the play tables.?There was one left locally till only a couple of years ago.

Morley58 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:11:19

Wow me too! Pick & mix before it’s time.I was 14 & my friend worked on the record counter- we had a great time.

Lizzie44 Mon 11-Oct-21 11:09:55

I remember our local Woolworths becoming self-service. It was the first time we had experienced the concept of self-service and it caused quite a stir. Take a wire basket and help yourself. My mother declared it "a rum do".

Alioop Mon 11-Oct-21 11:06:38

Another one here for Woolworths. The memories of Saturday afternoons with my friends looking at records and feeding our faces with pic a mix

Moggycuddler Mon 11-Oct-21 11:05:44

BHS.

Naninka Mon 11-Oct-21 11:05:06

We used to go to the "restaurant" at the top of Woollies in Gallowtreegate, Leicester. It was a great place to meet up and hang out. I remember taking my daughter there as a baby. I was 19 and she'd get cuddled by all my friends up there, giving me some much needed respite!!

Twopence Mon 11-Oct-21 10:57:07

Still using the "every day" cutlery we bought from Woolworths 55 years ago!