Gransnet forums

Chat

I Do Miss…..

(108 Posts)
Galaxy Sun 10-Oct-21 11:20:32

I hope I didnt contribute to woolies decline, I used to eat the pick and mix blush

Galaxy Sun 10-Oct-21 11:19:44

This is really tragic but I miss Little Chef, I never see them in the motorway anymore.

henetha Sun 10-Oct-21 11:12:09

Me too. I remember buying "Californian Poppy" perfume and bits of make up from our Woollies in my teens.

Kim19 Sun 10-Oct-21 10:46:29

Yes, no store has ever replaced the Woollies niche. Shame really. I remember it with fondness too.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 10-Oct-21 10:46:22

Yes, so do I. And I used them a lot, as did Mum. I remember it from early childhood when it seemed to sell so many marvellous things, from sweets to the Evening in Paris perfume (or scent as we called it then) my Mum wore on high days and holidays, to garden plants. And in my teens when it sold Miners and Outdoor Girl make up. And when my son was small and I could buy clothes for him there, Ladybird I think, and story books. Later they sold CDs and DVDs. I still have three vases that I bought there over the years, the oldest must be 55 years old, very good value.

TillyTrotter Sun 10-Oct-21 10:43:10

My older sister was working when I was still about 7. She would take me on the bus to the town sometimes, and we always went to Woolworth’s where she would say “choose sixpence worth of sweets for yourself”. Such a simple joy but I remember it with fondness.

MiniMoon Sun 10-Oct-21 10:38:25

My teenage Saturday job was on the loose sweets counter in Woolworths. Happy days, I earned 19/6d.
My mother and I always bought our Christmas crackers and wrapping paper in Woolies.

Calendargirl Sun 10-Oct-21 10:28:21

Woolworths.

And before anyone says “Well, if only people had used it more”.

But I did.

Only this morning, made some tomato soup and blitzed it up with a hand held blender, bought from there for about a fiver.

The bedding on the spare bed is from there, the bath and hand towels in the bathroom also.

Reasonable prices, good quality, nearly always found a bargain when I went in.

The old store is now a B&M type store, very useful, but I still miss Woolies.