Gransnet forums

Chat

Heat Pumps

(54 Posts)
M0nica Tue 19-Oct-21 10:56:48

I think there is already a ban on fitting gas boilers in new houses. I think it comes into force at the end of this year.

I have seen reports that the sale of all gas boilers, including retrofit will come in in 1935.

I know it is a silly question but why all this fuss about heat pumps that are expensive to fit and are not suitable for all properties. Why can we not just replace gas boilers with electric boilers? Yes, they would be expensive to run, but as we move to being electricity dependent, our fuel bills are going to soar anyway.

Hildagard Tue 19-Oct-21 10:24:26

It what to do if yours needs replacing now?

Katie59 Tue 19-Oct-21 09:59:21

It’s going to be many years before gas boilers are banned, the plan is to convert the gas grid to hydrogen so all new boilers have to be able to be converted to hydrogen. These are very long term plans and most boilers last less than 20 yrs in any case.

Hildagard Tue 19-Oct-21 09:06:46

Morning, I have just read an article on the BBC newsfeed about Heat Pumps and grants to change to these. Crazy, why on earth are they building all these new houses with gas boilers, if they are going to be banned in the future?