Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, that was a fun weekend …… not!

(80 Posts)
25Avalon Mon 29-Nov-21 09:17:40

I’m not giving up my wood burning stove anytime soon! It makes you realise how ‘soft’ we’ve become compared with when we were young, and how reliant we are on electricity. 3 days is a long time Katek. I hope things are back to normal now.

Ashcombe Mon 29-Nov-21 09:16:59

Our hearts go out to you all! It sounds ghastly for those caught up in it and the crews desperately trying to restore power. I do hope power has now been restored (presumably it has been as you can access the internet) Good luck!

Luckygirl3 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:11:17

We had a power cut the other day which started as I was half way down the stairs - on my stairlift!

Luckily I can do the stairs (but it is very painful) and i have two rails so I clambered off and managed to get to terra firma. Goodness knows what would have happened if I had been very disabled - stuck for the 6 hours of the cut I guess.

I had no power, no internet, no phone - so a quiet day for me.

sodapop Mon 29-Nov-21 09:06:59

That sounds horrendous Katek hope no one was hurt. How are things now

Katek Sun 28-Nov-21 22:45:25

Thanks to storm Arwen we have just had a 3 day power outage! As if that wasn’t bad enough we also woke up to snow this morning. Heating off, no mobile signals, no internet, no cooker/kettle, no showers., We’ve managed with gas fire in the sitting room, camping stove, fleece throws and a little radio. At one point the temperature in our bedroom was only 10.2. The electricity company had ‘welfare vans’ at strategic locations where you could get hot food/drinks. Apparently the damage to equipment has been horrendous and repair crews had to be stood down at times as it was highly dangerous to continue. Wind speeds were around 100mph. It’s strange to think we’ve been part of an event!