Gransnet forums

Chat

Sheer piggery (by me ?)

(154 Posts)
Witzend Fri 03-Dec-21 10:16:50

Sleepless at around 3.30 this morning, I came down and scoffed most of a packet of clotted cream fudge that was supposed to be for dh’s stocking.
There are 4 pieces left.
I can’t see those lasting very long, either.

CBBL Sun 05-Dec-21 20:52:42

I LOVE Chocolate Brazils! Haven't seen any in my usual Supermarket - BUT, I would definitely eat them if they were in the house.
I do have several lots of Chocolate and other goodies in the Fridge and Freezer though, that I haven't eaten!

GrammaH Sun 05-Dec-21 18:25:32

I'm OK with chocolates usually - I have a Hotel Chocolat wreath & 9 gift boxes squirreled away as presents & they're safe as long as DH doesn't find out about them. Crisps are an entirely different matter! I daren't buy them until I'm on the point of needing them to go with drinks when friends visit or that sort of thing. I just love them & can do one of those big bags of Tyrrels in no time. I ate one of their black pepper & salt bags on the way home from the shop last week, there were quite a few on the floor by the time I got back but the rest were safely inside my ample stomach. Oh yum yum!!

LuckyFour Sun 05-Dec-21 18:06:08

I offset my taste for chocolate by having the occasional Ryvita with a dollop of Nutella. A compromise - but a yummy one.

SachaMac Sun 05-Dec-21 17:59:45

Ooh all these lovely treats, I’m another one that can’t stop once I’ve opened the Quality Street or Roses, the colourful wrappers can can often be found shoved in my pockets, (hiding the evidence). I’ve also been known to scoff a giant Toblerone brought as a present then felt bad so went out and brought another to replace it. The big drums of Cheeselets and bags of mixed nuts never last until Christmas either. Every year I tell myself I’m not going to over indulge this year but always get tempted and once I’ve started that’s it. I’ve had a few mince pies already, one at the hairdressers which was homemade and delicious. I always regret it by New Year when I’m squeezing into my clothes and feeling sluggish & bloated. I admire people who have willpower and can limit themselves to a couple of chocolates. I have a friend who was saying the other day that she still has goodies left from last Christmas, that would never happen in this house.

Pammie1 Sun 05-Dec-21 17:56:45

Also have to say that yesterday we tried out the recipe for chocolate orange Battenberg cake in the Lakeland brochure. It’s fab and there’s none left !!

Pammie1 Sun 05-Dec-21 17:53:45

Bought a tin of Cadbury’s hero’s and one of Roses - two for a fiver in Morrisons. Both empty !!

GreenGran78 Sun 05-Dec-21 14:44:56

I finally had my annual check-up last week. One year late, and over the phone. She asked me my weight, and I told her '10st 12oz'. "That's not bad," she said. "You were 11 1/2 stone last time." Trouble is that I had got myself down to 10 stone at the beginning of the year, and am now on my way up again! I must get a grip.
On the other hand, all the results from my blood test were fine.

GreenGran78 Sun 05-Dec-21 14:33:03

NotToOld. You shouldn't have said that Iceland's chocolate raisins are the best. Now I will have to buy some, just to check them out!

GillT57 Sun 05-Dec-21 14:32:53

A box of chocolate brazils has just been delivered.. help! They are for DD......in theory

GrannyGear Sun 05-Dec-21 14:12:41

Does anyone - even a Gran like me - still buy or wear make-up?
We are now required by law to cover our noses and mouths when we are with other people. Surely lipstick and make-up will come off on a face mask, or leave a tidemark . The cosmetics manufacturers don't seem to have made a fuss - or have I missed something?

nexus63 Sun 05-Dec-21 14:03:34

i purchased 2 advent calendars then realised i would not see the children until next weekend, there mum said just keep them, they already had 3 each....so what did i do, took them out of the box, put them in a dish and ate the lot, felt sick as i do not eat chocolate but lucky that i had been prescribed anti-sickness tablets for other health problems.

larry5 Sun 05-Dec-21 13:47:24

I buy ready made and iced Christmas cakes these days as I have to confess that I could eat a whole block of marzipan. This year I am trying to be very good and have hidden the mince pies and the Lidl stollen bites (absolutely delicious).

I am trying to be very good this year as my dd is having gastric bypass surgery and is currently on an 800 calorie diet. Dd will be coming to dinner Christmas day and having chicken broth and a low calorie jelly. She will be able to have small meals in the future but not this year.

The rest of the family will make up for her by eating everything in sight.

Happysexagenarian Sun 05-Dec-21 13:44:48

Only January? I have found well hidden goodies and even gifts the following August!!

Marilla Sun 05-Dec-21 13:40:13

Love this thread! It’s hilarious! ?

flowerofthewestx2 Sun 05-Dec-21 13:23:46

2 boxes of prize winning mince pies, packet of those really good chocolate covered stem ginger biscuits, coffee creams. Stop me someone

POBCOB Sun 05-Dec-21 13:21:18

Thank you so much for this thread, I haven't laughed so much in ages.....and I don't feel so guilty now!

Janetashbolt Sun 05-Dec-21 13:18:29

I love mince pies sooo much I only buy them the week before Christmas or I'd be even rounder than I am. Annoyed that you can get them so early and I am always tempted, now do most of my food shopping on line to avoid temptation

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 05-Dec-21 13:14:22

Easter, not Christmas, but... when I was teaching, it was my job to visit the wholesalers to buy huge boxes of little speckled eggs for each child to take home a few in their class - made chocolate nest .
I delivered enough to each class a few days before the end of term ( you know where this is going don't you), only to find a queue of begging teachers a day later asking for more, as they may, just, have scoffed "a few".
I learned to take them to the classrooms on the last day of term.

GreyKnitter Sun 05-Dec-21 13:07:59

I love a chocolate Brazil. Our local farm shop sells them loose from a huge jar which you dispense yourself. It’s impossible to get just a few!!!!

magshard20 Sun 05-Dec-21 13:06:30

I seem to have "overbought" small selection packs.....up to now I've been good ...... not sure how long the will power will last though !! Pleased to see I'm not on my own on this x

happyanne Sun 05-Dec-21 13:01:00

Having lost a 21 pounds in weight, which took forever, I’m not going through the whole struggle again, DH has finished his first tin of chocolates, I’m feeling very smug, I have will power, wish I’d found it many many years ago?

Petalpop Sun 05-Dec-21 12:56:05

I sent DH to go and get some plain Hobnobs for my GS coming the next day. He came back with chocolate ones. GS only ate one and I polished the whole packet off over the next two days. I never have the need to go out and buy any goodies containing chocolate but if they come in the house I cannot resist.

lemongrove Sun 05-Dec-21 12:53:56

H1954

OnwardandUpward

I bought some fudge for a present and have eaten it all as well! LOL

Next time I buy it, I must wrap it straightaway! grin

Well, you did need to implement a quality control check didn't you? ?
I'm resisting the two tims of Quality Street but I was gifted some licorice last week, just for me, a get well gift, and not much left now! I knew it wouldn't see Christmas ?‍♀️

That’s fine, some things are medicinal tchsmile

Amalegra Sun 05-Dec-21 12:50:56

Reading all these posts here I am rather jealous! As I get older I find I enjoy my food less and less and, as I live alone, I can rarely be bothered to cook (although I love to cook for my family etc when they come round, which is often!). I live on cold bits and pieces mainly such as cheese and biscuits, toasted sarnies, soups etc. I rarely fancy a full meal these days-not much of an appetite unfortunately- although I love a full roast dinner on occasion (like Christmas!). I do admit to a daily mince pie, with yoghurt (the latter is my absolute favourite food!) and I will happily treat myself to Christmas pudding nearer Christmas. But the goodies for Christmas largely remain untouched, although my elder daughter did carry off a tin of M&S biscuits the other day-ostensibly for my four grandchildren!

Lupin Sun 05-Dec-21 12:47:52

My Christmas weaknesses are Lidles Stollen bites , little mince pies and Lebkuchen. I bought some when friends came to tea and begged them to take the leftovers but they refused for the same reason I didn't want to be left with them. My willpower is under severe strain.