Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 19th August 2022

(46 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Fri 19-Aug-22 08:02:49

Good morning from Llandudno where it is a sunny start to the day.

Thank you so much for all your good wishes yesterday. We had a lovely day and enjoyed the champagne afternoon tea. I think that plus more fizz helped me have the best nights sleep since I’ve been here.

Today we will have a walk down to West beach. Tonight we are hoping to eat at a recommended place. Wanted to go on Wednesday but they weren’t open in the evening due to staffing shortages. We noticed they were open last night.

Enjoy your lunch Marydoll and I really hope you can get to visit Wales one day ?

Sorry to hear your news Susan what a shock for you.

Well done to your DD * Shazza* a proud mum

Take care everyone.

Ashcombe Fri 19-Aug-22 07:58:26

Good morning, all, from an overcast Torbay.

Great to hear of our friends having good times in on holiday in the UK or on cruises, glammagran and Blue Sapphire . On which ships are you?

A restful night's sleep is such a tonic, grandMattie. I’m glad the herbal tablet worked for you. I used to take those during Ofsted inspections!

Another successful performance of ‘Allo, ‘Allo last night as we head towards the final performances on Saturday. During the pre-show half hour, the director has encouraged us to mingle with the patrons in the bar. Since I’m dressed as a “lady of the night”, I have fun inviting unsuspecting men to “buy a nice girl a drink”. This nearly always causes some amusement and sets the mood for the play.

Have a good day, whatever your plans. ?????

Sar53 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:56:37

Good morning from a cloudy Essex by the sea.

DH will be home early afternoon from Windsor where they moored up yesterday. I hope the Friday traffic will be kind, unfortunately the London area has tube, train and bus strikes today which means more people in cars.

I am off out to finish my food shopping when the shop opens at 8, no other plans today.

A long chat with DD2 yesterday, they are adopting two little kittens, a brother and sister. They look adorable. They have always had rescue cats and I am wondering how their older cat Hugo will adapt. He is very laid back so I'm sure he will take them in his stride.

Lovely to hear of cruising holidays, not something I have ever done but we have discussed it.

I hope you all have a fabulous Friday, much love xxx

monk08 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:52:33

Good morning all from a sunny Black country.
Your cruising sounds delightful BlueSapphire and Glammagran and happy anniversary for tomorrow ??.
It's our golden one next year and I will be 70 the week before so we are taking the family abroad. We were discussing it yesterday where to go and when because of the boys schooling. Think we may take trip to travel agents today for some ideas.
Enjoy your Friday everyone and may you all find some ?.

Chrissielou Fri 19-Aug-22 07:50:26

Such a beautiful morning, blue sky and sunshine. Just work, a Sainsbury's delivery, dog walking and more tomato cooking for me today, not very exciting but there is joy in each task if you look for it.
May you find some sunshine and laughter in your day.

harrigran Fri 19-Aug-22 07:49:41

Good morning from a sunny NE.
Yesterday was a weird day,had a phone call to ask me to go for my scan a few hours earlier that planned. When I got there I still had to wait more than half an hour.
The procedure was uncomfortable and the mobile cabin was claustrophobic. I was pleased to get out into the fresh air and stood in the car park to ring my SIL to come and get me. As I was waiting for him I looked back at the cabin and noticed a trolley beneath but realised it wasn't empty, it had a body bag that was very obviously occupied. When SIL arrived I asked him to confirm what I had seen because I thought I was hallucinating or there was a camera crew filming an episode of Vera. The Radiographer had apologised to me for the delay,
was the body on the trolley the reason ?
Last night my neighbour came for a chat as she put my bin out, she and her son had to pull her porch floor up because there was a vile smell, they suspected a rat and did find something. I am not surprised as her immediate neighbour's garden is like a jungle.
I think I should do some housework today, I need to give the vacuum an outing and find the floor mop too ?
Have a good day all.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 19-Aug-22 07:47:49

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. No idea about the weather. OH wants a quiet day today but I’m not so sure. I will be taking the key back to my friends whose fish and garden we looked after for a few days. I may make a batch of caramel ice cream and possibly some friands as I have loads of egg whites in the freezer. I have been following the progress of the curtains I’m having made for the hall and landing. The fabric has been cut out! I’ve got a stack of ironing to do. Oh, and I need to buy some more petrol. There’s a petrol station near me which is the cheapest in the area - 1.59. Have a good day everyone.

NannyJan53 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:47:32

Good morning from a bright and sunny Black Country.

Taking Mum to a Memory Clinic this morning, not sure what that entails. She is worried what happens if she 'fails'. I assure her it wasn't a test and there is no pass or fail. We are supposed to be going on a coach holiday Monday for 5 days, but she still keeps saying she is not sure if she will be well enough! This is a belated trip for her 90th 2 years ago, so will be such a shame if she doesn't want to go.

I will take her over to DD's afterwards, to spend an hour or two with her and DGD's

Your cruises sound wonderful glammagran and BlueSapphire

Have a lovely day everyone

Marydoll Fri 19-Aug-22 07:47:30

Good morning all from Glasgow, where the sun has just broken through the clouds. Unfortunately, we have more rain forecast.

It's great to hear people are enjoying their holidays.
Nothing in comparison, but we are off for lunch in our favourite Troon restaurant, then having an overnight stay.
DS2 and DIL gave us a voucher at Christmas, but we decided to wait until I felt better. As there is little chance of that, we decided to just go. We are only forty minutes away, if I need to come home.
I am really looking forward to it. The lodgers also received a voucher, so we are going together. I have a poor appetite at the moment, but SIL, will devour anything I can't manage. He too is looking forward to it! ?

Yesterday, it was touch and go, whether we got.
I had a fall and got such a fright.
I decided to tidy up the large cupboard, where I store all my baking tins and tupperware type containers.
Due to the fact I can't bend, I had to do it on the floor. There was a multitude of tubs sans lids and a multitude of lids, sans tubs, scattered everywhere. Unfortunately, few matched. ?
On my way back from answering the phone, barefoot, I stood on a lid, and skated across the floor on the tiles ( they are supposed to be non -slip!)
Out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of the look of horror on DH's face.
For the first time in my life, ( unintentially of course), I managed to do the splits and landed with a bump on the floor. It was excruciating, to say the least
I was sure I must have broken something, but here I am, rather sore, but in one piece, thank goodness!

My day got worse. I was changing my bag to a lighter one for today, when I realised I had mislaid my set of church keys. I turned the house upside down, searched the car twice, to no avail. We recently had a new alarm system installed and my fob was on the ring, I felt sick.
Eventually I phoned our very strict PP, to own up.
His first words, I have them MD, you left them down and I picked them up. I know you are not yourself, at the moment, don't worry about it. I was expecting a rollicking!!

Between that and the fall, I have turned into an old biddy! ?

Wishing you all the best of days and a gentle one for all, who are struggling.?

Beechnut Fri 19-Aug-22 07:45:56

Good Morning to you all from sunny Severnside.

It’s my weekly shopping day and after I’ll do some card making. I only got around to cutting some things out yesterday so it’ll be a craft time of arranging my pieces together.
I did have a lovely chat when my friend came. She brought back my bowl and then ended up taking it back with her because I gave her some plants. I put them in the bowl so not to make a mess in her car.
I also did some reading on the place I was brought up in and found a mention of people from family tree.

Have a good day all ?

Susan56 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:45:06

Good morning from Shropshire.

We had sad news yesterday.Our neighbour has died.He was only 56.We knew he was very ill but last time we saw him he said the prognosis was good.His son is only 13.So sad.

Today we are looking after Henry.DD and DGD are going to Glasgow for a few days to stay with DGD’s Godmother.DGD is so excited.We will have a lot of tears from poor Henry as whenever his big sis goes away from him he cries for her for a good hour?

Well done to your daughter Shazza.

Have a good day everyone??

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:36:32

Good morning all from sunny Harrogate
Enjoy your cruising Glammagran and BlueSapphire
Yesterday I had DGS for the afternoon, he was so easy to amuse. We read a story, did some drawing and he loves writing numbers! He’d just got back from a break in Bridlington with DD and some friends. They all stayed in a caravan. DGS must have found the other children a bit much apparently he kept waving ‘bye’ to them.
Today I’ll either take some bits to a charity shop or have DGD if Dd1 has to work.
Have the best day possible folks

grandMattie Fri 19-Aug-22 07:20:31

“I’m late, I’m late…”. Good morning from a grey E Kent. No rain, none forecast.
Not having had more that 5 hours sleep for months, I took a (herbal) sleeping pill last night and had nearly 9 hours! I’m very slowly crawling out of sleep now…
My friend and I walked through woods and fields in Goodnestone Park yesterday. Jane Austen is reputed to have spent time at the house. I found it too hot but my friend loved it. She talks a lot so I didn’t have to contribute much. She has been extremely kind to me and, as a retired nurse, very helpful in DH’s last days.
Today, I have a 4hour WI online fan-making tutorial. Should be interesting, though the paper is pre-folded, so it seems more of a job assembling the bits.
I’m glad the holiday makers are having a good time. And I hope the poorly, sad and unhappy have a gentle one.
Carpe diem, dear friends. ?????❤️

brook2704 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:17:39

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s a bright sunny start to the day, yesterday afternoon was unexpectedly warm and sunny so hope it’s the same today
Both your cruises sound really good bluesapphire and glammagran - enjoy every minute!
I’m off to the gym today and then early this evening there’s a bit of an neighbours get together at the end of the cul de sac. A few of the neighbours are quite musical and have formed a little band with singing, guitar and drums so they like a get together every so often
Hoping everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

ginny Fri 19-Aug-22 07:11:02

Good morning everyone.
Our last day away is looking a little overcast but maybe it will clear as it did yesterday.
I think we are heading Hastings and Battle way today and DGS has requested fish and chips on the seafront. No better way to enjoy them.

Hope today is a good one for all.

ShazzaKanazza Fri 19-Aug-22 07:03:46

Good Morning Mick and everyone from Hull. It’s going to be a lovely day.

Your cruises sound wonderful glammagran and BlueSapphire. Wishing you a happy anniversary glammagran for tomorrow.

Today I’m going to do an early yoga. My friend is coming later with her GD and we are going over to a large park where they have a lot of activities.
My daughter taught her first hypnobirthing class last night. It looked like it was very well attended. She’s hoping to get some to sign on to her private antenatal classes from that.

Wishing you all a lovely day but thoughts and hugs to those finding life a challenge. ??

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:00:17

Morning Mick and all

So pleased our cruisers are having fun.

We had the 14 yr old and nearly 13 yr old GSs here yesterday and overnight, I hadn’t forgotten how much teenage boys eat ?

The Imp is being dropped off at 8am so need to find an activity which they will all enjoy, might be the local Country Park.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

BlueSapphire Fri 19-Aug-22 06:33:27

Good morning everyone from a rather grey morning on the high seas somewhere off the north-west coast of France.

Today is a sea day, so no real plans, just go with the flow and see if there's any activities I fancy. Tonight is the first formal night, so it's on with the posh frock!

Spent a lovely couple of hours yesterday morning having a manicure/pedicure; may book another towards the end of the cruise. Then sat outside reading, and generally being lazy - but I did manage my mile around the deck after breakfast!

A real treat yesterday evening - Jools Holland is on board and he gave the first of two shows last night. It was excellent, as were his three guest singers..

Time to shower and dress, then down to breakfast. Have a lovely Friday everyone.

glammagran Fri 19-Aug-22 06:23:18

Good morning to you all from our Med cruise. Haven’t always had a reliable signal. We are in Dubrovnik, Croatia where our cruise ship has just docked. We have already visited Gibraltar, Valletta, Zadar, Venice, Ravenna and yesterday Split. Only Palermo and Cadiz still to go. The Bay of Biscay was like a millpond but the sea around the Straits of Gibraltar was a bit rougher as we entered the Med. Weather has been very good but very hot at 36c yesterday. Seen dolphins but not nearly as many as when we last cruised in 2018. Some people have seen fin whales.

Zadar have stone monuments everywhere commemorating victims of the war against Serbia. At the highest point there is a huge fissure in the rock of more than 100 feet deep where villagers were thrown down and a small chapel has been built around it. I couldn’t bring myself to go in. It all seems so recent.

We will be celebrating our Ruby wedding anniversary on Saturday.

Wishing you all a good day.

cornergran Fri 19-Aug-22 06:10:49

Morning Mick, morning All. Sky over our corner of Somerset is clearing.

Excellent day yesterday other than some tedious motorway issues on the way back. Off for a hair cut this morning, new hairdresser so a bit anxious. Admin to do if not interrupted by our goddaughter who plans to opine. Sea front on the bus after lunch.

Enjoy the cycling Mick. Good wishes to everyone. Hope Friday is kind to us all.

Michael12 Fri 19-Aug-22 05:54:54

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry and grey at the moment , with having had some overnight rain , also a bit of a red sky in Brackley .
Today usual shop , with the Vuelta Tour of Spain cycle race later on , I also want to watch the mountain biking as well from Munich as we have a gold prospect
Take Care,
Mick