Gransnet forums

Chat

What’s tying you down?

(55 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 23-Sep-22 09:36:40

We are very lucky,too. We have,however, adopted two adorable rescue cats so now we have to think of them. We have a daughter who feeds them when we go away and we take them with us to our beach house. They sleep all the way down there, they are wonderful little additions to our family. We are getting quite ancient so are making the most of our lives.

Urmstongran Fri 23-Sep-22 09:31:28

We are somewhat selfish in a good way. I know, that sounds weird. By that I mean we disappear to Spain for half the year with no calls on our time. We ‘recharge our batteries’ every few weeks and we love it.

Consequently, when we are home here in the UK we don’t mind being an extra pair of hands to help out with the family. We pick up the slack. My stepfather is 90y old next month, we take him shopping and he comes for Sunday lunch every week. We have two adorable grandchildren and row in with swimming lessons, bike rides, babysitting duties etc. as both parents work full time and have busy lives.

I honestly think that if people are able to carve out some ‘me’ time in life, being asked to help out occasionally doesn’t irritate. I do count my blessings.

Of course I also recognise that good health, physically and mentally, for all the family makes a huge difference. I really do feel for people who struggle in that respect. Choices then often are not an option and life must be very hard for some.

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 09:17:43

With you on that Luckygirl - since losing Paw I found myself alone and in theory the world was my oyster! All those things I couldn’t do because of his reduced mobility and I’ll health. But travelling and holidaying alone is not the same as sharing the experience.
So I “tied “ myself down with a loving and much loved dog instead. And I’m not sure I really want to do it all any more anyway.

Luckygirl3 Fri 23-Sep-22 09:11:05

What's tying me down!?

How I would love to be doing all the things that you describe, but ........

- I am widowed - try finding a solo holiday that does not have huge supplements, crap tiny rooms hidden away, self-catering accommodation much too big etc - impossible.
- following back surgery I cannot lift luggage and bending is painful.
- I would love to potter in my garden, but this is very hard for reasons above.

So ....... my chance to enjoy life is somewhat curtailed! And it is very very very frustrating because in my heart I am 25.

Sago Fri 23-Sep-22 08:21:09

We are currently away at our holiday let as we had a cancellation, we are home later today for the weekend and then returning.

We can return on Monday because for the first time in our adult lives we have no ties!
No parents, children, dogs or employers to consider.
We are self employed, our little dog departed in February and we have both lost our parents.
I have given up my voluntary work, we are totally free to do what we wish when we wish.
I feel very lucky but at the same time it’s a little unnerving.

What’s tying you down if anything?