Gransnet forums

Chat

Gaming

(32 Posts)
Ilrina Thu 11-Aug-16 00:11:52

Any of you Ladies or gentlemen play computer games? If so what is your favourite?

BBbevan Thu 11-Aug-16 05:37:29

Only play Spider if nothing else to do

LullyDully Thu 11-Aug-16 08:12:56

Any thing with words.I play wordup.at times. I keep a setting on my computer that won't let me pay for clues. Never start candy crush if you value your life. My sil does on line scramble.

ninathenana Thu 11-Aug-16 08:14:48

Solitaire almost daily blush and word games.

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Aug-16 08:36:31

Yes I think I qualify as a gamer :-)

Apart from the usual time killer games like Candy Crush , I play online MMO games and browser based strategy games. On my ipad I like puzzles and games that make me think a bit more.

AND obviously I play games with the grandchildren , my 4 year old Grandson work together on a farming game . It teaches him not only fine motor control but we've had discussions about where things come from like milk and meat and because we work together he has learnt some team dynamics.

I discover3d computer games back in the early 90's when I took my first ( computer based) degree...been hooked ever since smile

Mumsy Thu 11-Aug-16 09:11:42

Far too many to list, but mostly card and word games, I also enjoy hidden puzzle games. I am hooked on pet rescue. Its good that there are games you can play against other people on line. My excuse for playing games is that I must keep the brain active. grin

NotTooOld Thu 11-Aug-16 10:11:28

I play Scrabble on Facebook with friends and relatives - it's a good way of keeping in touch - and also with someone I met online. We have been playing for ages and I sometimes send her a short message but she rarely replies. Perhaps she doesn't want to get too friendly with a stranger!

Thingmajig Thu 11-Aug-16 12:56:04

I used to play The Sims all the time, but stopped ages ago probably when then husband retired and we finally lived together full-time!

Now I play Sudoku and a couple of word games on the Kindle at bed-time.

Ilrina Thu 11-Aug-16 15:17:23

Interesting replies. Some of these games I don't know, but I play an mmorpg game too NanaandGrampy. I had never played games on the PC until my Son made a trial character for me on WoW ( World of Warcraft). It was only so I could see how clever the game was, the graphics, all that kind of thing. That was six years ago, and I play every night for about 3 or 4 hours. I never watch TV.
I enjoy it for the escapism, but also it requires alot of concentration as my main character is a healer so I need to be on my toes to keep the whole group including myself alive. Great too for hand eye coordination. The average age is about 28, but I have come accross some players older than me( 63). One of my main partners in play, in fact he is my officer in my Guild is a 20 yr old Polish Guy, great to have as an officer as he doesn't forget things like I do smile.
Another good thing about the game is that many of the players are real techies, they even build their own gaming computers. If I ever have a problem with the PC there is always someone willing to help me sort it out.
I only play in the evenings instead of watching the tele. I have looked at some other games LOTRO, and Diablo spring to mind, but in my opinion nothing compares with WoW.

Maggymay Thu 11-Aug-16 15:29:04

Always start the day with Solitaire daily challenge.
The other games I like are Wordtrek and Wordcrush.

PRINTMISS Thu 11-Aug-16 15:46:07

I play solitaire, and before I changed to Microsoft 10 I had a scrabble disc which I could put into my computer and play scrabble against the computer. I only seem to be able to buy the American version now, which I do not want. A very clever young man in our local 'games' shop wrote down the details of how I could use my disc in this computer - lost those of course. Like the jigsaw puzzles.

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Aug-16 17:44:26

Ah I too have played WOW Ilrina but it's not a favourite of mine. Most of what I play has a fighting element but has a city building or world building element. I'm lucky that the players in my alliances let me miss out on the bits I don't like smile . I currently like Age of Empires and Domination .

Like you most of the players are much younger and I enjoy the online horror when I admit I'm a Nana smile .

I play for an hour when I wake up with my first coffee of the day and an hour most evening when the dogs getting a walk.

It's just to keep my brain active .

Greyduster Thu 11-Aug-16 18:22:43

I like Pixelogic, but mostly it's Codewords, Words with Friends or Spider Solitaire. They all drive me potty.

Ilrina Thu 11-Aug-16 20:24:30

Oh Nanaandgrampa, I have never had a reaction of Horror when I have let on how old I am. I usually get " That's cool", and we carry on playing :-)I wouldn't like the City building element I don't think. Last expansion introduced a Garrison for your Toons. That bit doesn't interest me too much

Judthepud2 Thu 11-Aug-16 23:25:52

Candy Crush, Frozen (even more addictive than CC) which I started with DGD1, something called Bloom the Blossom or something like that and occasionally Solitaire which is a bit boring.

I play them all far too much. As well as GN, Twitter, Instagram. blush

kittylester Fri 12-Aug-16 07:07:19

I play Word with Friends with a few friends, lots of other word games and sudoku. I also play Solitaire.

jameswallace Wed 29-Mar-17 07:37:54

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Wed 29-Mar-17 10:22:09

confused?

ninathenana Wed 29-Mar-17 13:23:21

guidlines, a bit of an odd post but not sure how it broke guidlines.
Ah well.

Willow500 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:39:14

Solitaire on my iPad is the only one I play now but was totally hooked some years ago on an online game called Blademistress - like WoW I had 3 characters - a warrior, mage and sword maker. Sadly it was taken down and I don't have time now to start learning one of the new ones but when I retire ...... grin

MawBroon Wed 29-Mar-17 21:45:45

It was advertising ninathenana. Did you not see the link he posted?

MawBroon Wed 29-Mar-17 21:50:55

"World of Warcraft" etc

Chewbacca Wed 29-Mar-17 22:14:53

On line Mah jong is my weakness. I play most days. Sometimes solitaire or sudoko.

Badenkate Wed 29-Mar-17 22:26:47

I've played games from the days of Hover Bover, and the Big Cave Adventure. I like adventure games, I'm useless at fighting games and don't like sim games.

annodomini Wed 29-Mar-17 22:55:01

Free Cell is my favourite Solitaire type of game; Majong Solitaire if I need something slightly more challenging.