Gransnet forums

Chat

soop's kindly kitcheners and pampered pets...

(1000 Posts)
soop Sat 03-Dec-16 13:24:43

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and
JOLLY GOOD COMPANY

Welcome...

Izabella Sat 03-Dec-16 14:07:57

Long may it last.

Gagagran Sat 03-Dec-16 14:07:58

This kitchen thread must hold the record for the longest ever on GN! All down to our hostess and spouse of course! Aren't we lucky to have this cosy, safe place to resort to? flowers for all kitcheners.

NanaandGrampy Sat 03-Dec-16 14:10:33

Yes we are Gagagran .

Some may pour scorn on it but those who find their way in never fail to comment on the warmth, support (and cake of course) .

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 14:13:47

Welcome to Izabella When I was a child, I wanted my mother to change my name to Isabelle. As you do! wink

Gaga Make yourself comfortable. It's dreich this afternoon. I may sit down for a wee while and watch some snooker. Always sends me to sleep.

Gagagran Sat 03-Dec-16 14:15:27

Need to pick some brains re my vegan eldest DGD, who is coming for a meal with her Mum (DD), Dad and brother on New Year's Day. What on earth can I give her to eat?

We are having slow roast shoulder of pork. It was hard enough last year when she was vegetarian but now she is vegan - oh Lordy I am stuck for ideas. There are suggestions on the internet but they don't seem suitable for a 15 year old girl. Shall I resort to a Waitrose ready meal for vegans?

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 14:16:36

NanaandGrampy I forgot to mention at some point in the week, your story of your grandson wanting to check out the car engine. The very thought of it made me laugh.

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 14:19:20

Gaga I would opt for the Waitrose ready meal. It could be extraordinarily delicious. If so, take the pat on the back with a knowing smile.

Charleygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 14:51:10

Gaga I would not stress myself over it- I also would not have a clue. See what Waitrose has to offer and then maybe add some extra veg of your own. I have to admit I have not seen anything there for vegans, good luck.

Izabella Sat 03-Dec-16 15:19:08

Thank you for the welcome soop

millymouge Sat 03-Dec-16 16:09:39

I havn't posted on here for a while as I did feel I was a bit of a moaner when I did and things with Sis have not been too bad recently. DH and I were able to get away with the dogs for a lovely week and DD2 didn't have any problems with her.She has two carers come now so things have been quiet. UNfortunately this week we have had three falls (nothing damaged) and have had to have the paramedics out once. I feel so bad about them coming as the Care Call people called them because I was out and I felt that I had wasted their time and I should have been there to see to her. Normally she just rings me. This morning I spent half an hour with her after I had a call saying she needed help. She was convinced that someone had stolen her toilet rolls and her Tena Lady, she really was terribly agitated. She said toilet rolls and Tena Lady had been packed in her hall and the carer and the cleaning lady were stealing them and she was going to report them. It took me ages to convince her that no one would take her toilet rolls or the Tena and she eventually decided after I had found some that she was going to hide them so no one could find them. This afternoon I went up and she was completely different, her normal self talking about getting me to set up an online account to manage her money. Sometimes she seems as "tough as old boots" and others so frail.
I suppose that is just the way it will go. Sorry for the moan, sometimes it's easier to talk to those you don't know than bend my very long suffering DH's ear, he has been marvellous. Never mind, it's another day tomorrow and things may quieten down again.

DaphneBroon Sat 03-Dec-16 16:12:59

millymouge it as been said before, but I will risk saying it again.
Is there any chance she might have a UTI? It can cause delusions which are not necessarily consistent. So hard on you, but you are not alone.
Hope things turn out well. smile

Charleygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 16:26:43

millymouge there is no need to apologise to us lot. As you said, better to bend our ears than your poor DH. Life must be very difficult. What kind of dogs do you have?

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 16:29:33

millymouge It's good to have you back. I've heard similar reports of folk being "robbed" recently. The care home staff have to cope regularly with such spats. I admire you for coping as well as you do. Getting away with your husband and dogs was exactly what you needed. We all have stuff to moan about from time to time. No harm whatsoever in sharing. In fact, I'm relieved to be able to let off steam in the kitchen. A good place for such activities. I feel positively poorly right now. Weird and spaced-out. No clever remarks, please from you lot.
milly I also think that Daphne has made a good point. Could you get a sample of wee to the GP?

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 16:33:05

A friend has asked me to bid for an item on eBay on her behalf. There is still an hour to go. My biggest fear is that the computer will mess things up at the last minute. It, the computer, is almost as knackered as I am. wink

Charleygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 16:40:28

soop Expensive items have a habit of taking a long term holiday around the most expensive time of the year, Christmas. Your computer appears to be one of them. Could Ebay be helpful or would you not know what you were buying? Could it be a pig in a poke?

I do wish that you would go to bed and try to get yourself better. Rory will not mind, he will enjoy the quiet.

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 16:52:51

Charleyg Tyke!

Galen I hope to goodness that your stair lift is fixed. A lovely cruise to look forward to. Well deserved.

rosesarered Sat 03-Dec-16 16:58:46

Can it really be time for a new kitchen?How time flies.I liked the last creamy shaker style kitchen soop complete with island with black sparkly marbled top, large scrubbed pine table with an assortment of chairs with William Morris cushions.So, what is the new one like?tchsmile are there any Christmas cards up in it yet?

thatbags Sat 03-Dec-16 17:02:45

A little light entertainment for those feeling down.

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 17:08:51

rosesarered Your description of our previous kitchen is spot on. This time, it's out with the sparkly marbled top (shows every dastardly mark) and I can't be arsed to wipe it that frequently. I thought that rustic would be more fitting. Shabby chic, even. I can do shabby without having to try too hard. We'll have a Raeburn. Green or red...^you lot^ can choose.

I must away to bid and hopefully "win" the top that my friend has fallen for. Wish me luck.

I'm saying goodnight. I shall most definitely return in the morning. smile moon

soop Sat 03-Dec-16 17:10:03

bags Perfect timing. grin

Nelliemoser Sat 03-Dec-16 17:11:01

Sudden spells of acute confusion are frequently caused by a UTI. When at work, if we had a call from someone worried at the sudden change in their relatives behaviour, we would always suggest that the person might have a fever and try and follow up that potential cause first.

Nelliemoser Sat 03-Dec-16 17:13:12

I think I may have just posted on the wrong thread. Daft old Bat that I am.

DaphneBroon Sat 03-Dec-16 17:20:16

No, R was this one, in response to millymouge ?

DaphneBroon Sat 03-Dec-16 17:20:56

That was meant to be IT not "R"!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion