Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that break your heart......

(92 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 07-Dec-16 18:19:30

....a young family member in the depths of severe depression making the effort to write to his brother to thank him for the support he's given; he also enclosed a gift that had obviously been chosen with a lot of thought. Such a small thing for most of us to do, but for him it took a huge amount of motivation and reduced the recipient (and me) to tears.

Much is written about bravery, but I honestly think that anyone who battles (I use the word deliberately) with depression and other mental illnesses is brave beyond words.

What brings tears to your eyes?

Luckygirl Wed 07-Dec-16 18:51:15

On a less serious note, two thing always reduce me to tears: children singing and flash mob singing in public places. This is a good one www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

Rinouchka Wed 07-Dec-16 19:08:38

Departures....mine or anyone else's, especially our kids and grankids leaving( they live far away).
.....places: if i liked visiting somewhere, I get tearful at the thought of leaving and possibly not being able to ever return.

And music.
And anyone being very kind, very generous, very nice.
The French have a saying: "pleurer comme une Madeleine"( cry like Mary Magdalene): it applies to me!

durhamjen Wed 07-Dec-16 19:18:06

Thanks, Lucky. Goosebumps as well.
Have you ever been involved in one, or been there when one happened?
Durham market place quite often has individual opera singers, but not a mob like that.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Dec-16 19:31:27

I cry at anything and everything usually just tears falling not big wrenching sobs, films, docus, kind things, sad things Bands make me cry, yes flash mobs my daughters choir did one it was lovely, tears jump when I hear an ambulance battling through. You name it I get emotional about it x

MargaretX Wed 07-Dec-16 21:14:32

At the moment The NEWS and has done for a year or more.

Then when I think of my dearly loved cat who is no longer with us and was our last pet because of our age.

grannyactivist Wed 07-Dec-16 22:31:14

As I age I find myself being being affected quite deeply by distressing situations or moved by beauty or kindness - or sometimes even by memories and if I'm tired any little thing can set me off. At a choir performance a couple of weeks ago I had tears raining down my cheeks.

A friend of mine is just the opposite and is becoming ever more cynical as she ages.

ninathenana Wed 07-Dec-16 23:23:06

Fablous clip Luckygirl I'd love to be there when a flash mob appear.

D battling her estranged husband, which regularly ends in her breaking down, breaks my heart as I know there is nothing I can do.
Also her current heath problems.

Shanma Thu 08-Dec-16 00:09:23

I would not like to be flash mobbed while I am having my Lunch, or anytime for that matter.

rubylady Thu 08-Dec-16 02:57:58

Shanma Remind me never to go out for lunch with you, you do seem so miserable. The delight on the faces of the people on that Youtube video was a joy to behold. Personally I am going to skip your posts from now on as I have enough bad things going on and I need positivity, not someone bringing me down and making me feel miserable.

I literally do have a broken heart, hopefully will get fixed in the near future. But I still have a smile on my face and have done with everyone at the hospital today. It is what it is and being miserable isn't going to fix it, is it? So I'm keeping on smile

BBbevan Thu 08-Dec-16 03:13:40

My DGD has had trouble with ' mean girls' at school. It breaks my heart to see her sad and be unable to help.

Carol1ne63 Thu 08-Dec-16 06:18:40

Family falling out. Do they not realise how short life is? Why waste it on pettiness. sad

kittylester Thu 08-Dec-16 06:21:51

Most things involving children - my dgc especially. And, Away in A Manger!

I am more easily moved ga as I get older.

Nana3 Thu 08-Dec-16 08:00:09

Thanks Luckygirl . I enjoyed that.

glammanana Thu 08-Dec-16 08:08:50

Luckygirl What a great start to the morning thanks so much.xx glamma xx

petra Thu 08-Dec-16 08:26:46

And thanks from me Luckygirl for putting a huge grin on my face on this grey morning here in Southend.

Christinefrance Thu 08-Dec-16 08:35:53

Always remember my four year old grandaughter sitting on her dying father's bed and saying- my Daddy winked at me. Broke my heart and still does.

rosesarered Thu 08-Dec-16 08:42:10

grannyactivist I know exactly what you mean, as I am the same, sometimes even a tiny thing or memory can set me off! I try and tell myself off sternly, as I know this is an age thing and down to chemicals (or lack of) in the body, and it can be damn embarrassing.

Rinouchka Thu 08-Dec-16 08:48:05

Luckygirl your clip was much enjoyed..thank you! ( should have mentioned this yesterday)
Glad to read that, on the whole, Gnetters are such sensitive souls. sunshine

br0adwater Thu 08-Dec-16 08:50:17

Shanma, I agree that I wouldn't want to be flash mobbed either.
Sorry Ruby, but there it is. Another person you don't want to lunch with ;)

Mumsy Thu 08-Dec-16 08:51:11

Elvis Pressley singing ' always on my mind' as it was played at late husbands funeral.

On a lighter note seeing my adorable grandson being able to walk brings tears of joy to my eyes. He spent the first 6 months of his life in plaster casts on both legs.

kittylester Thu 08-Dec-16 09:23:14

Oh, mumsy, you reminded me of Dolly Parton singing 'i will always love you' - does it every time.

rosesarered Thu 08-Dec-16 09:37:07

On the flash mob thing, I would run a mile!

baubles Thu 08-Dec-16 09:43:59

I've always cried too easily, my grandmother used to say that my eyes were too close to my heart. It's caused me embarrassment over the years, however kindness is more likely to have me in tears than anything else. Except perhaps music. Also the ill treatment of old people or children, the list is endless really.

ginny Thu 08-Dec-16 09:45:46

Like others I find myself being affected by things more as I get older although I have always been easily moved to tears. All sorts of things, happy and sad,big and small. I'm never afraid of showing my feelings.