Gransnet forums

Chat

Pigging scumbags!

(17 Posts)
kittylester Wed 11-Jan-17 21:46:30

Dd1's husband has quite a long commute and uses his bike to get from home to the bus. There are places to leave bikes secured. Yesterday he was late and the bus was already there so he quickly locked his bike up and ran for the bus. For the first time ever he forgot to take his lights.

When he got back he discovered that not only were his lights missing but that the fittings to put them on had been unscrewed and removed too. This meant that he had to push his bike the two miles home and will be unable to use the bike until after the weekend.

I'm livid!blush

Jane10 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:49:07

angry too!

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 21:49:55

If it's not nailed down eh?

Lona Wed 11-Jan-17 22:18:13

I saw a bike today, chained up but with no wheels! This was outside a busy Gregg's bakery, in a very middle class area. shock

morethan2 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:28:22

sad

Grannyben Wed 11-Jan-17 22:31:45

I could think of a nice word but I don't think I would be allowed to put it in print

absent Wed 11-Jan-17 22:41:55

Grannyben I suspect that the word of which you are thinking is appropriate, but I doubt if it really is nice. grin

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 22:53:43

At WI la few weeks ago we had a speaker from a large well known insurance company . She was very entertaining and quite funny too. She gave us lots of good facts, some of which were startling!

Apparently in London a locked bicycle will take on average 17 minutes to be stripped and stolen .

In Liverpool the same bike 3.5 hours. In Newcastle the bike was untouched after 24 hours.

She said no wonder the various call centers prefer Northern accents . They are far more honest than the Southerners. grin

Okay so I'm off to sleep now .

Eloethan Wed 11-Jan-17 22:55:00

Sickening isn't it. Poor chap, after a hard day at work and a gruelling commute, then having to push his bike 2 miles home. Awful and I can understand you feeling furious.

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 22:55:44

Sadly there are plenty of scumbags around kittylester . angry

wot Wed 11-Jan-17 22:58:35

Toe rags.

durhamjen Wed 11-Jan-17 23:27:10

Lona, it could be that the owner of the bike took the wheels off to ensure nobody stole them, particularly if they were the quick lock ones, that can be taken off quite easily.

mumofmadboys Wed 11-Jan-17 23:35:36

My son took his bike to London while at uni. It was a good bike and was nicked after two months despite being locked. He bought another good bike second hand and spmlashed multi-coloured paints over it.He has had it for over two years in London now and always uses two locks to lock it.

Katek Thu 12-Jan-17 09:54:23

My Sil had his very expensive road bike stolen from a well known caravan site. It was securely (he thought) locked on the bike carrier at the back of the car. Police said it had obviously been spotted as soon as he arrived on site and probably stolen to order-either that or the parts would have been on eBay within a couple of hours. No sign was ever seen of it again. Uncomfortable thing was the car was only 6' from sleeping dgs' bunk. Sil takes part in lots of long distance cycling events and Etapes and missed a sponsored charity event. Nobody wanted their money back fortunately!!

POGS Thu 12-Jan-17 10:36:47

Kitty

Thieves have no conscience and would wear the title 'Scumbag' with pride. angry

shysal Thu 12-Jan-17 11:13:20

I used to cycle to the hospital where I worked. One day I forgot to remove the pump, but came back to find it missing. However, there was a note on my handlebars from a medical student to say that he had borrowed it and broken it, and left a phone number to arrange a replacement. It restored my faith in human nature!

Penstemmon Thu 12-Jan-17 12:06:23

angry