Gransnet forums

Chat

A nice young man rang this morning

(110 Posts)
kittylester Thu 19-Jan-17 13:56:32

to let me know that my computer had been hacked. I don't usually answer the phone without checking who it is but, at 8.10 am , I assumed it was one of the children, Mum's care home etc.

Anyway, I decided to have some fun so I played the little old lady card and thanked him for letting me know. He repeated himself and asked me to switch on the computer. I asked him to repeat himself and then I asked him why. At that, he shouted 'JUST TURN YOUR F*****G computer on' When I said, in shocked little old lady tones 'I beg your pardon?', he shouted 'OH, GO F**K YOURSELF' and hung up!

It's a good job that I'm not really a little old lady! blush

NanaandGrampy Thu 19-Jan-17 13:57:39

I guess when you're in the middle of an important scam ..... it can be annoying to get 'a little old lady ' ?

kittylester Thu 19-Jan-17 13:59:06

I've been giggling about it all morning - it made my day! grin

Riverwalk Thu 19-Jan-17 14:03:51

Well I hope the conversation wasn't 'being recorded for training purposes' grin

Poor bugger was probably about to give in his notice and had had enough!

MiniMouse Thu 19-Jan-17 14:20:15

I needed cheering up today and that really made me lol. Thank you Kitty!

shysal Thu 19-Jan-17 14:47:31

Made me giggle too kitty grin! I have recently bought a call blocker for my phone, so no longer have the chance for a bit of fun. I already have caller ID so set-up was simple.

Jomarie Thu 19-Jan-17 14:56:13

That's brilliant! I sometimes (if the devil is in me) tell my unwanted callers that "I can't talk now as the nappies are boiling over" and then put the phone down. Most of the youngsters calling me don't even know that nappies can be boiled! This used to work for me many many years ago if I had unwanted doorstep callers. It makes me happy and gets rid of the caller so win win for me. grin

Anya Thu 19-Jan-17 15:02:14

Good for you. You upset the lying cheat grin

Stansgran Thu 19-Jan-17 15:10:28

I did thank you for calling as I'm so lonely and it's lovely to have a chat. I had the trying to get you to claim for an accident "that you never had one "yesterday. Yes DH did but it was forty years ago and in Liverpool and then someone ran into the back of him but the car was an ancient MG built like a tank and the idiot who ran into him had his car wrecked and the mg luggage rack had a slight dent.

Stansgran Thu 19-Jan-17 15:11:47

A happy ten minutes wasting his time as these false claims mean our insurance is high.

Teetime Thu 19-Jan-17 15:13:00

I love it kitty perhaps that will put him off tying it on someone else.

Retrolady Thu 19-Jan-17 15:15:37

I want someone to phone me now, so I can do the same thing!

nanaK54 Thu 19-Jan-17 15:17:41

oh I absolutely love it - well done you!

PRINTMISS Thu 19-Jan-17 15:47:40

My son in law who is a computer buff, had one of these 'callers' on line for 15 minutes, before the caller realised he was talking to someone who knew probably more than he (my sil) did. The response was I believe similar to yours Kitty. I just say, sorry I do not have a computer.

Jalima Thu 19-Jan-17 15:47:40

I love it!

Christinefrance Thu 19-Jan-17 15:51:33

Brilliant Kitty, that made me laugh, I could just imagine his face when you were 'old ladying' .

merlotgran Thu 19-Jan-17 15:58:24

What a shame it wasn't one of those calls where you're asked to spare two minutes at the end rating their customer care.

yggdrasil Thu 19-Jan-17 15:58:26

I had a young lady with an Indian type accent call me the other day with the same line. She claimed to be from Microsoft. I strung her along for a bit, then told her I had a Mac (not true) but she just kept on with the script insisting I had to let her control my computer because there was something MS had to correct.
About this time I started laughing and couldn't keep it up, so I put the phone down.

chocolatepudding Thu 19-Jan-17 16:22:50

Ah yes something wrong with the computer. Standard reply " I am so glad you called I will get the operations manager to speak to you as we have 13 computers on line and you can help him". DH will usually string them along for up to 20 minutes.

I have better things to do with my time so most cold callers are told "Telephone Preference Service *"

Sorry to be so rude but I can let off steam!

chocolatepudding Thu 19-Jan-17 16:23:37

Telephone Preference Service rude words

BlueBelle Thu 19-Jan-17 16:46:04

I love stringing them along if I m not doing anything much, I ve had a lot of fun with them before they realise and snap the phone down, I ve had two today but they just put the phone down before we got started, not nearly as much fun

Lynnebo Thu 19-Jan-17 17:32:55

I answered my stepmum's phone yesterday and a 'gentleman' asked to speak to my Dad. I asked why and he said he was from Microsoft and Dad had paid him to look after his computer. I explained very firmly that Dad had died and he shouldn't ring the number again and hung up.
He called back right away (same number) so I answered and asked why he was calling back to which he replied ' You f*****g b**ch woman' and hung up!
So please that I was correct about his motives!!!
Could be the same person kitty!!!

dogsmother Thu 19-Jan-17 17:41:52

Wonderful ?

Wheniwasyourage Thu 19-Jan-17 17:47:27

When I got one of these calls recently I started making agitated noises about how terrible it was that my poor computer wasn't working and eventually said that I was too upset to deal with it, pretended to burst into tears and put the phone down.

I've also used the stern "Does your mother know how you're making a living?" line, which is no good for nuisance sales calls, but I feel is justified for the computer scam ones.

POGS Thu 19-Jan-17 19:45:14

Kitty

Well his suggestion is a very difficult thing to do . grin