Gransnet forums

Chat

Postmen and shorts

(72 Posts)
trisher Fri 20-Jan-17 14:51:35

Please can someone tell me why postmen now seem to be wearing shorts whatever the weather? I can understand in summer it must be nice, but in the rain and snow? Or is this phenomenon only to be seen in the North East? I know local Geordie girls have a reputation for wearing very little on nights out, but someone delivering the post on a cold winter's day? It's all a bit much!
Don't mind the ones with nice tanned legs so much, but they all make me shiver.

tanith Fri 20-Jan-17 14:55:48

One of the postmen on our round wears shorts in all weathers makes me shiver just watching him in the wind/rain/snow. He is often in just a t-shirt too.

downtoearth Fri 20-Jan-17 14:56:28

My hairdressers son is a postie on discussing the subject I said that you can always tell the season by the posties uniform ,apparently it is a matter of honour who can wear them the longest without succumbing to trousers grin

Alima Fri 20-Jan-17 14:56:32

Is it just postmen or postwomen too? Maybe the chaps are trying to out do each other. No sense no feeling? Builders round here seem to have gone the same way.

harrigran Fri 20-Jan-17 15:05:02

DH informs me that it is common sense to wear shorts as it is easier to dry off legs than have long soaked trousers chafing your legs all day. We are in the NE and DH wore shorts to school until 14 and for longer as a scout.

downtoearth Fri 20-Jan-17 15:09:12

I don't mind posties or builders legs,it's builders bums ,peeping out of their jeans when bending...always want to creep up and give them a wedgiegrin

trisher Fri 20-Jan-17 15:14:28

Can't they wear waterproof trousers like most of the walkers I know?

downtoearth Fri 20-Jan-17 15:15:48

I thought they had over trousers similar to cyclists to pull on if weather was wet

J52 Fri 20-Jan-17 15:25:30

Passing the postman in shorts, on my way to work always cheered me up grin. DS2 often wears shorts in the winter, his internal thermostat has always been set wrongly!

vampirequeen Fri 20-Jan-17 15:29:32

Our postie wears shorts too even when it's so cold he's wearing a wooly hat.

LadyGracie Fri 20-Jan-17 16:05:54

Our posties wear shorts here in South Wales too, I heard it was to see who could wear them the longest before going into trousers, I can't remember the last time I saw a postie in trousers

chelseababy Fri 20-Jan-17 16:21:18

I'm going to turn the heating up!

Largolass Fri 20-Jan-17 16:34:07

My lovely postie dressed in shorts and with a thick woolly hat on his head handed in a parcel today and I'm in Scotland....

nanaK54 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:59:26

Alima we have a lovely postwoman and yes I can confirm she wears shorts in all weathers brrrrr

Jayh Fri 20-Jan-17 16:59:40

I have noticed that a number of men, not only posties, are wearing shorts in all weathers. Perhaps it is a sign of global warming.??

BlueBelle Fri 20-Jan-17 17:01:50

We have men not only pasties who seem to potter about the streets in the winter in shorts I ve not seen women do it and it always amazes me WHY? I've seen delivery men and a local milkman also wearing shorts and have no understanding why

ninathenana Fri 20-Jan-17 17:05:38

I passed a postwoman today who was wearing shorts with thick black tights underneath confused
There is a guy I see around our area who wears shorts all year except if it's snowing.

Nelliemoser Fri 20-Jan-17 17:11:41

BlueBelle I am a little confused about pasties pottering about in the street in shorts where you are. grin

Grannyben Fri 20-Jan-17 17:14:46

I also mentioned this to our lovely postman. He said it was a competition at the local sorting office, who can keep their shorts on in all weathers

f77ms Fri 20-Jan-17 20:16:36

I asked my postman why he was wearing shorts and he said it was because trousers get wet around the bottoms .

watermeadow Fri 20-Jan-17 20:52:25

Our comprehensive must be full of postmen's children. Nothing between them and the winter weather except a polyester shirt and blazers made apparently from recycled glass. The girls wear skirts up to their bottoms and flimsy little pumps.

Jalima Fri 20-Jan-17 21:01:04

Gosh! Blazers!

I see them walking home from our local school wearing just shirts in terrible weather.

DH says 'They'll regret it later when they get rheumatism'

Ana Fri 20-Jan-17 21:03:36

'recycled glass'? confused

BlueBelle Fri 20-Jan-17 22:02:58

Sorry Nellie sometimes my iPad has a life of its own mind I quite like the idea of pasties walking round the streets LOL X

BlueBelle Fri 20-Jan-17 22:05:00

Yes my grandkids only wear their blazers no top coat and they travel an hour to get home makes me shiver to see them