Gransnet forums

Chat

Mums sayings.

(246 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 21-Jan-17 15:17:38

I have a little book somewhere, full of the things mums say - eg: "I don't care who started it, I'm finishing it!"
Any more examples?

grannylyn65 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:05:22

'I'll think about it '

oldgoat Sat 21-Jan-17 16:12:53

'Share and share alike' - when Dsister had eaten all her sweets and wanted some of mine. The injustice of it!.

oldgoat Sat 21-Jan-17 16:17:10

'Two wrongs don't make a right'
'Little birds in the nest must agree'
My sister and I used to fight a lot.

shysal Sat 21-Jan-17 16:26:54

When my mother told my brother and me off for being thoughtless, all she did was make us smile because she would say 'It is lack of inconsideration' confused
One of her expressions which I have continued is 'Do as you would be done by'

Witzend Sat 21-Jan-17 16:36:15

Not the usual ones, but my mother had a couple which have gone down in the annals - we still say them for a laugh.

'HMm, not OVER-keen' - when you realised there was yet another thing she didn't really like, since she was picking every bit of it out of her food.

'That HAIR!'
Invariably about anyone on TV with a mass of long, very curly or frizzy hair all round their face. Like Rebekah Whatshername at the time of the phone hacking scandal.

grannyactivist Sat 21-Jan-17 16:48:53

"Because I said so" - it drove me mad as a child and I have never said it to any of mine!

callgirl1 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:55:01

Neither a borrower or a lender be.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 17:14:00

If if's and ands were pots and pans never a tinker there would be.

Many wells make a river, you jump in and make it bigger.

There was a little girl who had a little girl right in the middle of her forehead, when she was good she was very good, when she was bad she was horrid.

I also remember a phase of being scared of ghosts and mum said to me.... never be scared of the dead, its the ones that are alive you need to be wary of.

Ana Sat 21-Jan-17 17:15:40

I think the little girl had a little 'curl' right in the middle of her forehead, saak! grin

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 17:16:47

I think you may be right Ana grin

Christinefrance Sat 21-Jan-17 17:19:04

I remember my daughter saying " I will never say the the things to my children that you said to me, then I heard the words coming out of my mouth "
What goes around comes around .smile

KatyK Sat 21-Jan-17 17:22:34

Stop crying, or I'll give you something to cry about.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 17:24:05

grin at KatyK.

Bobbysgirl19 Sat 21-Jan-17 17:38:23

Fur coat, no knickers!
more ....
she can talk the hind legs off a donkey

if I asked too many questions my Granny said "As Asquith said.. Wait and see"

Someone who wore lots of jewellery - "she thinks she's Lady Docker".

I did actually google these people in recent years and now understand the statements.

KatyK Sat 21-Jan-17 17:41:47

My father-in-law used to describe some people as 'thick as pudding' and 'no better than she ought to be' whatever that meant smile

stillaliveandkicking Sat 21-Jan-17 17:42:01

All "fur coat and no knickers" is still one of my favourite sayings.

KatyK Sat 21-Jan-17 17:45:27

and 'she's all kippers and curtains'

Swanny Sat 21-Jan-17 17:54:11

KatyK Stop crying, or I'll give you something to cry about was one of my mother's favourites along with no better than she ought to be, which was extended to '... and a lot worse than she should be'.

There was also 'Red hat, no drawers' (of the underwear variety) and 'Here's my tits, my arse is following', of someone who stuck her chest out as she walked blush

Teetime Sat 21-Jan-17 17:55:12

'Your fat and lazy and I'm going to have you put in a home I never wanted you anyway'.

I think that was on one of her good days. grin

Swanny Sat 21-Jan-17 17:55:41

Oh just remembered another one - 'crying on the other side of your face'. What on earth was that about?

KatyK Sat 21-Jan-17 17:56:44

Swanny A lot of the ones I remember were from my friends' mums in Birmingham. My mum was Irish and had some very different ones! I worked with a girl who was described by some of the office workers as 'here's me head, me arse is coming' grin

KatyK Sat 21-Jan-17 17:58:29

Teetime sad

Floradora9 Sat 21-Jan-17 18:07:26

My mother, a health visitor ,used to say when you had a new baby. " Do not worry about dirty old men worry about lovely clean children harbouring bugs " We learnt that lesson to our cost when DD got chickenpox at 9 months old .

Swanny Sat 21-Jan-17 18:09:15

That made me think of another one Teetime 'Say that again and I'll wash your mouth out with soap' I did - and she did, with that green block stuff sad