Gransnet forums

Chat

Queen Camilla

(418 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 23-Feb-17 23:12:34

Prince Charles is campaigning for Camilla to be Queen Camilla when he becomes King. I would not like her to be Queen. I think they both behaved appallingly in carrying on their affair when they were both married to someone else. They had no concern for the hurt, upset and heartbreak they caused Diana and Andrew PB. They just thought it was perfectly OK to act as they did. It's 80 years since Edward abdicated to marry a divorced woman, and Margaret was not able to marry Peter Townsend, even though she was unlikely to ascend the throne. So what rules have changed? He has what he wanted and married her, but making her Queen is condoning their adultery.
But I think I'm in the minority in my view.

Rigby46 Thu 23-Feb-17 23:16:45

Well if I had my way, there'd be no King Charles either - off with the heads of the lot of them ( metaphorically of course)

Anniebach Thu 23-Feb-17 23:21:51

Yes she should be queen . So she had an affair with Charles, APB was a philanderer and Diana ? There were three in the marriage , that I was the third in several marriages isn't important .

Margaret could have married Townsend ,

merlotgran Thu 23-Feb-17 23:23:44

There was a programme on TV last night about how the monarchy was re-branded during WW1 (changing their name to Windsor) to preserve their existence. Nothing we didn't already know but the monarchy has to move with the times.

Times change. We cannot keep harking back to the Charles and Diana days. There was infidelity on both sides and Andrew Parker Bowles was also unfaithful.

Personally I think Camilla will be an ideal consort. What she ends up being called remains to be seen.

Anniebach Thu 23-Feb-17 23:26:06

Kings consorts are queen consort .

Norah Thu 23-Feb-17 23:31:23

Who in those those marriages was perfect? Glass houses and stones.

merlotgran Thu 23-Feb-17 23:34:40

I know, Anniebach but there may be a compromise. The wife of the Prince of Wales is the Princess of Wales but I think Camilla would have been lynched if they'd insisted on it.

Probably the last thing she'd have wanted to be called anyway.

Nelliemoser Thu 23-Feb-17 23:48:45

Oh come on! Most of our monarchs have been openly philandering down the centuries. You cannot suggest that Charles Windsor is the only monarch to have done this. Most of the kings during the centuries have been unfaithful. Even

Queen Elizabeth 1st is thought to have had lovers.

It is pointess getting in a huff about adultery in this sort of situation.

I would rather like to see Charles Windsor (or anyone else for that matter) being in a happy relationship with a partner they get on with (but I don't see the point in him having Camilla "crowned" or such.)
Too much fuss about adultery does not allow people in terrible relationships to ever get out of the situation if we start thinking about adultery as something wholly immoral.

Hilltopgran Fri 24-Feb-17 00:35:56

A Kings wife is a Queen whether she choses to be called that or not. I do not really care, just hope thst the public purse is not expected to pay for a lavish coronation. They are not the only royal couple who have divorced previous partners, times change and it is time for the monarchy to modernise, scale back and cut out some of the old protocols.

paddyann Fri 24-Feb-17 01:57:58

like many on here I hope the monarchy dies with Lizzie,if it doesn't then Charles and his wife can call themselves whatever they like its no skin off my nose and I was never a fan of the "blessed" Diana queen of hearts...lol.She was manipulative of press and public and her biography shows she wasn't exactly mother of the year either ( involving her young son in her troubled life and using him as her confidante) the adultery was on both sides and as someone pointed out it has always been this way with the aristocracy .Time the kings and queens and knights etc were gone,its a medieval concept in a modern world.Let them have all the privacy they want and stop throwing public money at them....oh and before someone tells me the Croown estates pay for them AND they contribute through said crown estates ...they haven't OWNED the crown estates for centuries they were handed over to the government by George 3rd in payment of his debts .So they've been getting profits from something thats not theirs.....be nice if we could all do that !!

absent Fri 24-Feb-17 04:50:02

As she will be de facto queen, she might as well have the title formally and take part in the coronation. The Prince of Wales has been planning his coronation for decades and revising his plans for decades. Of course, it will be lavish and, of course, the public purse will pay for it.

State funeral when HM pops her bucket, followed by lavish coronation the next year. I suppose we should all hope that he survives as long as possible before another state funeral and lavish coronation are required.

Probably tantamount to treason, but we could all hope that he kicks his clogs after his Mama's state funeral and before his coronation. Standard practice in such an event is to keep the coronation plans and date and simply slot in the next heir, who, in this case, is likely to live for quite a lot more years than his Papa. That would also resolve any controversy about Queen Camilla.

Christinefrance Fri 24-Feb-17 05:13:20

Time has elapsed and Camilla has proved to be quietly supportive of the monarchy. I think Queen Consort would be an ideal compromise. As nelliemoser said it's better Charles be in a happy relationship than otherwise.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Feb-17 05:17:52

I think Charles is a great chap and think Camilla has behaved in a very dignified way since they have been together so I ve no problem with her being Queen at all
I think it was very obvious neither Charles or Diana should have been together she was not, I m sure, the St Diana many people believe.... I think there was much more to Diana that the sweet little maligned wife manipulation comes to mind Its funny how a sweet face and a death can make a saint
I think Charles has a very sane head on his shoulders and I think he is an honourable man with the right woman now I personally doubt he will be king unfortunately I think Lizzie will hang on until Wills can take over
As others have said I bet there is not any who ve not had affairs over the year...l old Philip is said to have had a few hasn't he ?i didn't kn W Lizzie had but then I don't really read up on the Royals much ... they re only people

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 06:02:51

A thread about the Royals - that should run to several pages!
Why now though? And is there anything left to say worth saying? tcrhmm
(Cynical, moi?)

elfies Fri 24-Feb-17 06:17:43

No,please no Queen Camilla .
Charles and Camilla could have brought down the monarchy ,but it didn't stop them , they didn't care about the country as his mum did , and most people don't seem to care about or for Camilla and Charles .
Let William and Katherine take over, they at least are leading circumspect lives and are a modern family .

Alima Fri 24-Feb-17 06:45:26

When Charles becomes King I think Camilla should be Queen, why not, she is his wife. They appear to be very happy and she has behaved impeccably since their marriage. I really do not think it would be a good move to bypass Charles and pass on the mantle to William. Get the impression he and Kate are too busy being a "normal" family to have all the faff of being in charge.

sunseeker Fri 24-Feb-17 06:55:28

I think the vast majority of people in the UK would not want Camilla to be called queen. Even her best friends have said she is basically lazy and I for one don't see her as an asset. I believe Charles should step aside and allow William to take over when the time comes.

J52 Fri 24-Feb-17 07:13:59

Personally I don't care, but it is interesting that the sovereign is the Supreme Govenor of the Church of England, previously the 'Defendor of the Faith' and yet hold scant regard for their marriage vows.

sue1169 Fri 24-Feb-17 07:17:19

...couldnt care less really! just think though the whole lot of them (Royals) should be self supporting!! Rich beyond compare and still receiving 'benefits'...!!! actually angers me.....

Anya Fri 24-Feb-17 07:23:03

I think the vast majority of people feel sympathy for the Charles/Camilla situation.

grannypiper Fri 24-Feb-17 07:49:20

Camillia is his wife therefore will be Queen Consort, are we saying that second wives should not count ?

Riverwalk Fri 24-Feb-17 08:00:52

... that I was the third in several marriages isn't important .

Annie am I reading this right?

Jane10 Fri 24-Feb-17 08:01:53

In her case yes! Quite unreasonable I know but I don't think the public would be very happy about it.

Jane10 Fri 24-Feb-17 08:02:30

That was to grannypiper

tanith Fri 24-Feb-17 08:06:32

No sympathy from me and I'd rather she weren't Queen .