Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I a terrible person!

(20 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 28-Feb-17 11:04:54

Got out of the shower this morning, opened the curtains in time to see my neighbour's dog squeeze through my fence and take a crap on my lawn, my neighbour then opened the gate to let the dog back out but didn't pick up the mess. I couldn't run outside (only had a towel wrapped round me) so opened the window and shouted to her, she either didn't hear me or ignored me. When I went out I picked up the mess, put it in a plastic bag and as I was passing her house threw it into her garden!!

Ana Tue 28-Feb-17 11:09:18

I wouldn't have left it in the plastic bag either - let her clear it up!

Karanlouise Tue 28-Feb-17 11:11:33

No your not a terrible person. I love dogs but it's up to the owners to pick up after them. The thought of you throwing it in their garden made me laugh out loud. Maybe I'm the terrible person!! ?

rosesarered Tue 28-Feb-17 11:12:06

Depends on how well you know the neighbour really ( and if you don't mind having frosty relations in the future!) Anyway, it's done now, and she may not connect the two incidents,merely thinking some passing dog owner has thrown it into her garden.Haha!
I wonder if she realised that the dog had done it on your lawn, if it squeezed through the hedge, did she see what happened?Would she have apologised later, or come back later with a poop bag?
Of course you are not a terrible person sunseeker sometimes we react before thinking things through, and maybe this neighbours dog is a real pest.

sunseeker Tue 28-Feb-17 11:48:02

This particular dog is a pain, on one occasion it attacked my brother in law's dog on my drive (the neighbour witnessed it and didn't make any enquiries as to how my brother in law's dog was) and it has also crapped in my garden before which is why I had the fence and gate put in. I don't have much to do with this neighbour as the only time I see her is when she walks the dog up the lane to the field.

rosesarered Tue 28-Feb-17 11:51:14

In that case let the poo fur fly! grin

Ana Tue 28-Feb-17 11:54:29

And see if you can find a way of preventing the dog from squeezing through your fence!

vampirequeen Tue 28-Feb-17 11:55:14

We're told that we should never keep someone else's property. If you find a wallet in the street you should make every effort to return it. If you trim overhanging branches from your neighbours tree you have to give them back. It seems to me that the dog belongs to your neighbour and therefore she owns everything about the dog. You not only gave her back her property but very kindly donated one of your plastic bags.

Luckygirl Tue 28-Feb-17 11:57:23

vampirE [GRIN]

rosesarered Tue 28-Feb-17 12:04:28

Strengthen the fence with barbed wire/electric fencing....possibly both.grin
Once, when we lived in a previous house, there was a lot of noise from the shrubbery/hedging, it was in Summer and we were sat near it reading the Sunday papers, when a large wild eyed alsation appeared! I don't know who got the bigger shock, it or us, but it went straight back through the hedge.

Anya Tue 28-Feb-17 12:26:10

Landmine the areas where it sneaks through.

Menopaws Tue 28-Feb-17 14:18:56

Is it a regular time? Be outside next time and chase it back to the street, but yes def return the crap to rightful owner, she knows she's done wrong

Iam64 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:29:25

No you are not a terrible person, what a disgusting way to behave, to let your dog go next door to toilet. It sounds as your neighbour might be though. This dog is out of control if it attacked a dog on your drive and got through your fence.
Is your neighbour someone you could discuss this with - no I thought not -best of luck. Definitely strengthen your fence.

Jalima Tue 28-Feb-17 14:33:31

DB did the same, he got so fed up of the dog from up the road leaving his deposits on their front lawn that he shovelled it up, took it over and threw it over the hedge. The neighbour was in his front garden and yelled 'what do you think you're doing?!' DB replied 'just giving you back what's yours'.

Jalima Tue 28-Feb-17 14:34:09

fed up with! blush

Grannybags Tue 28-Feb-17 14:40:59

I would have done the same thing - possibly minus the bag! angry

vampirequeen Tue 28-Feb-17 14:59:01

Can you still get the powdery stuff that you put down and cats/dogs don't like it?

If you don't like the dog then put chilli powder down (now hiding behind the sofa from all the dog lovers [grin)

BlueBelle Tue 28-Feb-17 16:57:42

I don't know about dogs but cats couldn't care less about chilli, curry, or pepper neither do the ones that deposit in my garden every day , take the slighest notice of that electric thing that lets out an inaudible noise that is supposed to frighten cats away in fact I took a photo of one leaving its calling card directly by it I don't dislike cats but I wish they d wear blooming nappies
I would have done the same but as others have said it wouldn't have been in a plastic bag

judypark Tue 28-Feb-17 18:06:30

I would be mortified if my dog did this and would be straight round with a plastic bag and apologies. Surely it's your neighbours responsibility to make sure her garden is secure and her dog under control. Unfortunately it's the scent remaining in the previous spot that dogs have pooed that stimulates their anal glands to repeat the behaviour in the same vicinity. If you can't reach an understanding with your neighbour then a call to the local Dog Warden might help.

TriciaF Tue 28-Feb-17 18:44:16

We had a neighbour once whose dog used to come specially to our garden to do his poos. I scooped them up with a shovel and hoyed them back over her fence. I doubt if she noticed.