Gransnet forums

Chat

Extra Bank Holidays

(101 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:38:54

Parents and carers will no doubt be looking forward to Monday Morning.
Children back to school after the Easter break

The following Monday is Mayday Holiday
At the end of May beginning of June Whitsun/Spring Bank Holiday
Summer school holidays June in Scotland & July England & Wales

If the proposed St George's day Bank Holiday was in place then the children would not be returning to nursery or school tomorrow. As presumably the Holiday would be carried over.
They also would have missed 2 days schooling in March.
Holidays are financial burden on working parents.
Some parents may have the day off but many more will be at work to keep the country working and safe.
Carers and grandparents will have to be on hand to help out.
Other threads have pointed out the financial difficulties that small business will incur.

So a vote winner??

kittylester Sun 23-Apr-17 11:48:24

Not likely. Any proposed bank holidays should be in the long long autumn term.

Anniebach Sun 23-Apr-17 11:52:16

St.Andrews Day. - November

St.Georges day. - Aptil

St. Patrick's day - March

St.Davids Day. - March

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 12:35:45

Other countries seem to cope better with holidays!wink I understood that UK has fewer public holidays than most other places. It does not reflect on productivity though as places with more hols do equally as well,or better!

Ilovecheese Sun 23-Apr-17 12:40:22

That is a very good point Penstemmon

Cherrytree59 Sun 23-Apr-17 12:42:36

Yes Annie but sometimes Easter falls in March so then there would be 2 Easter bank holidays plus 2 Saints Bank hols.
It's only St Andrew's day that would break up the long Autumn stretch.

When my DC were young the schools in our area provided a day off at the end of November to allow the teachers to do their Christmas Shopping.
I would be more in favour of just one more bank holiday if it was in the Autumn.

janeainsworth Sun 23-Apr-17 12:43:15

I think it would be better to increase statutory holidays from the present 20 days, rather than increase public holidays.
Then people could use their holiday when they wanted to.
So many people are forced to work on public holidays anyway.

Cherrytree59 Sun 23-Apr-17 12:59:14

Pentesimmon The countries that you refer do they have equally spaced out public holidays and not clustered together as they would be with this proposal (with the exception November)?

How does their paid annual holiday entitlement compare to the British one?

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 13:08:28

Gosh..I am not sure of details. I would have to research that! I know that in Spain town often had their own Saints days too.

Anniebach Sun 23-Apr-17 13:29:10

Yes Cherrytree, that is why I posted the months, seems March Aptil would be rsther a long holiday period

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 13:31:38

Germany has 11 public holidays aganst 8 in England &Wales.
janeainsworth whist I see some merit in increasing statutory hols. part of the purpose of national holidays is to share a common celebration. In England we ae quite good at that for Queenie things but it would be good to restore e.g. May Day as a celebration for "ordinary"people. US have Thanksgiving which can be shared by all regardless of background. Be good to have that type of 'things in common' holiday

willsmadnan Sun 23-Apr-17 14:11:51

France has so many public holidays in the Spring it's ludicrous. Depending on how late or early Easter is, it's possible to have 3 in May. This year for example they have May 1st...Fete de Travail, May 8th VE day,May 25th Ascension Day. Not to mention the fact that they have just had Easter on April 17th. Well, 'Vive la Republique'... considering they are proud to declare themselves a secular country (no religion taught in schools) they do pretty well out of religious holidays too. As these days off work can occur in the middle of the week (Assumption, Ascension etc) it must be massively inconvenient for factories. But Spain is even worse..... an obscure saint's day is a good enough excuse for a fiesta. But they are an unashamedly Catholic country so at least they have a reason.... perhaps confused

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 14:18:53

Is it because in UK we are more inflexible and rule bound that it seems awfulmto have a holiday midweek?? Other cultures seem.to take it in their stride!

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Apr-17 14:48:46

The autumn would seem a logical time if we were to have one more Bank Holiday.

DH thinks Trafalgar Day would be a good day but I think that could upset the French.

All Saints Day?

Christinefrance Sun 23-Apr-17 14:49:33

I agree with Jane, so many people have to work on BH it would seem sensible to increase statutory holidays. Put an end to congested roads, queues in leisure areas, and all the other annoying things about BH.

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Apr-17 14:49:35

If it's a Monday or a Friday then it does make a long weekend for some

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 15:43:38

Oh dear! A major point of a public holiday is that community, friends and families can meet up and enjoy time together and celebrate something in common.

If we weren't such slaves to mammon we would be relieved to have shops etc. closed. Emergency & essential services would have more leeway to offer public holidays to the workforce (e.g. SiL has either NYD or Xmas day off, never both).

If we had more bank holidays then there might be less pressure on roads etc. anyway as not everyone would be trying to do things on the same limited number of BHs.

Ana Sun 23-Apr-17 15:48:16

We'd have to have an awful lot of extra bank holidays to have any kind of noticeable effect on the roads etc., IMO Penstemmon.

Cherrytree59 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:55:33

We don't often venture far on a Bank holiday weekend as the traffic by us is usually chocker to quote a local radio stationgrin

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 16:02:36

That is why it would be good to support local community events! Get to know the neighbours more grin

janeainsworth Sun 23-Apr-17 16:50:20

Pen May Day is a Bank Holiday isn't it?
I take your point about communal holidays, and I too would prefer that shops etc were closed so staff could have time off, but they're not and staff have to work.
The other objection I have to the idea of holidays being on the patron saints days of the 4 UK countries is that I think we have quite enough nationalism rearing its head as it is.

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 17:06:10

May Day is only a bank holiday if it's on a Monday.
It is this year, but not next year. It will be the first Monday after May Day.

Penstemmon Sun 23-Apr-17 17:17:14

Is the proposal is to have all the patron saints days as holidays in all regions? I would not want to encourage aggressive nationalist attitudes but if it was about celebrating cultural heritage: music/food etc. it all sounds like fun!

janeainsworth Sun 23-Apr-17 17:28:05

I realise that DJ but the holiday is still for May Day.

This is Labour's proposal as reported by the BBC
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682388

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 17:48:31

It's called the Early May bank holiday according to that article. Not quite as meaningful as May Day.