Gransnet forums

Chat

I don't want to just 'fill my time' when I retire!

(54 Posts)
Clickgran Wed 19-Jul-17 23:07:22

When I tell people that may retire soon, they say "Oh well you will need something to fill your time" I want to say "fill my time until what?" It reminds me of the sit com with Stephanie Cole called Waiting for God. I have a hobby, but I don't want to do that 24/7. Maybe it's entering into the unknown, I don't know. Any advise please, that isn't hobby or grandchildren related.

Chewbacca Wed 19-Jul-17 23:23:17

Voluntary work? Learn something new, like a new language or skills? Get around to doing those jobs around the house that you've never had time to do before? Travel? Visit places of interest in the UK that you've not been to before. Get a bus pass and use it to the max, getting to places off the beaten track. The world is your oyster!

pensionpat Wed 19-Jul-17 23:29:14

I would advise you to take your time. Have a good rest and research the many, many activities locally. Enjoy setting your own agenda and taking your time when doing tasks when you don't have to squeeze them into limited time. Don't do anything that doesn't give you pleasure. This is probably the best period of your life.

suzied Thu 20-Jul-17 05:16:59

Make a to do list of all the things you keep putting off but never have time, decorating, decluttering etc. That way you'll have some useful projects to start with. You don't have to rush into anything. Think of it like a student deciding on a course or career- the world is your oyster. Time to study that subject you always wanted to, take a degree, learn or improve a skill you could build on, get a part time job somewhere that interests you, travel, catch up with all those old friends, become a theatre, film or opera buff, write a blog - don't know how? Learn! I agree it's the best time- enjoy it

silverlining48 Thu 20-Jul-17 08:58:32

Agree with all the above. When i was out walking with my friendly walkers group yesterday we all said how lovely to be out here enjoying the lovely scenery while others work, as did we to be fair, but everyone i know does not know how they found time to go to work.
Enjoy. I think you will.

Luckygirl Thu 20-Jul-17 09:14:15

Don't be fooled by the "fill your time" idea. You will have no trouble doing so, but you will have time to take delight in what is around you and all the things you can now do that you did not have time for.

Here are some of the things that I do: I am a school governor (and hugely valued because I am the only retired person there and can step in for meetings etc. during the daytime when others are at work), I belong to a choral society (also on the committee and responsible for publicity, sponsorship, programmes, including writing the programme notes), I belong to a local book club, I run the village library,I plan and execute a huge community choirs project every 3 years, I run a singing group of my own, I look after GC 2 days a week, I go for a half hour walk/limp every day, I care for my OH who has PD, I do the garden, the shopping, the cooking etc........is that enough!? I also sit in my lovely garden with a drink and a book and enjoy the view - and I get up when I like.

I am never at a loose end, believe me; and neither will you be.

kittylester Thu 20-Jul-17 09:16:24

I didn't 'work' but have always volunteered - doing things that I am passionate about. I now volunteer for the Alzheimer's Society and, as well as helping people, I enjoy myself and have met lots of lovely people.

Is there anything that you really care about and you would-be happy to give your time to?

Clickgran Thu 20-Jul-17 09:18:05

Thank you all so much for your advice, you have given me lots of food for thought. My main hobby is photography, though only a beginner, so improvement of that would be a good start. Sorting all the cupboards that I normally put off until school holidays may be cathartic ( hopefully). I do have a bus pass, but hadn't thought about using it to go further afield. Keeping my brain active is important to me as I have seen how people can change and slow down mentally when they retire,so finding ways to keep body and brain active locally is a must. Thanks again, at least I have a start and can use your other ideas to make a list.

M0nica Thu 20-Jul-17 09:18:28

To be honest, I am always perplexed by the number of people who are not sure how they will occupy their time once they finish work.

I had the, now, unimaginable blessing of being dismissed into early retirement through redundancy in my 50s and within weeks my life was as busy as it was when I was at work. As suzied says there were all the house and garden things that I had never been able to find time for, then the outside interests I had never found time for either, finding more times for the interests I already had and, of course, the educational opportunities from crafts to academic.

I sometimes think life would be less hectic if I was back at work.

Jane10 Thu 20-Jul-17 09:29:29

I had a sudden 'moment' just after I retired: I was stuck at red traffic lights and getting angry at the hold up. It suddenly came to me that actually, for the first time in years, there was actually no rush. I had time.
That's been the best bit for me. I've got control of exactly what I do and when I do it.
There are busy weeks of course but also leisurely ones. Its my choice. Bliss. Enjoy. You will - but no rush. Just relax into it.

David1968 Thu 20-Jul-17 10:27:59

I think pensionpat is absolutely right. Give yourself time, without initially committing to too much, to see how you feel when you do retire. It's amazing how opportunities come along for all sorts of things! Wishing you a very happy retirement.

Mspjam123 Thu 20-Jul-17 10:36:45

What not to do:

1. Switch the TV on before 6pm. Ever.
2. Have at least one reason/excuse to get out of the house every day that it isn't actually snowing.
3. Always have at least two social outlets ( husbands count towards this if you happen to have one)
4. Do not become obsessed with smart phone/computer.
I've been guilty of breaching all four of these in the opening months of my retirement, which is fine when you're initially resting after the job, shrugging off the horror of work colleagues that you couldn't stand, doing bucket list things and catch-up things. But when they run out, you have to get with the program!

Teetime Thu 20-Jul-17 10:36:51

Clickgran I agree it takes some time to work out what you want to do and sometimes you try things and they don't work and its Ok to acknowledge that and move on. It took me several years to find something I enjoy one of which is being a local Editor for Gransnet which you might like to consider. Lots of volunteering opportunities out there but have some time to enjoy things too. I play golf which is not for everyone but also wanted to play croquet and walking netball but there is no provision for those in this town so I'm starting them up myself. It may not work out but I will have had a go. Enjoy exploring your new freedoms. wine

devongirl Thu 20-Jul-17 10:43:09

click see my previous thread "new life after retirement" where I got lots of helpful and encouraging advice.

KatyK Thu 20-Jul-17 10:49:42

I have been retired for 8 years and have never had to 'fill my time'. DH is retired too. We are not well off, but we are OK financially. We do what we like, when we like which is a lovely feeling. Enjoy it!

Pittcity Thu 20-Jul-17 10:50:40

I echo Teetime and suggest becoming a Gransnet Local editor. If there is already one in your area I am sure that they would love to use some of your photographs. There may also be something that you might be interested in listed on your local site.

We have recently retired and I have discovered Walking Netball and Frisbee Golf, both of which are tailored exercise for an older body. I also apply for the monthly Gransnet Book Club book which means that I have broadened my reading beyond my norm.

Mads Thu 20-Jul-17 10:51:47

I started a business and have never looked back, should have done it years ago. Have done volunteering which I liked as it was newsletter related, tried a charity shop but that was pure chaos behind the scenes! So I stick with what I do. I was never ready to retire but it was forced on us all.

Eglantine19 Thu 20-Jul-17 10:58:58

I moved house, went travelling, got a lover. Can recommend all three? Oh perhaps not the last if you've still got an DH?

Teddy123 Thu 20-Jul-17 11:12:40

Most days I feel I had more spare time when I was working! so a good idea to plan ahead. Retirement to me usually means oh I can do that tomorrow ..... Hmmmm

RosemarySuperager Thu 20-Jul-17 11:14:00

Loads of good advice here. I think I would add to the list - make sure you keep up or develop your social connections. As we age, it becomes more difficult to make friends and loneliness is a real problem for many older people. This means working on it when you have the energy and ability.

In addition I'm a big fan of lifelong learning. There's so much you can do with photography - what a wonderful gift if you have the ability to see what makes a good photo. (I'm the type that stands next to my son and takes the same photo with the same type of phone. His comes out looking wonderful and mine is a disaster!)

There are loads of other things to learn more about - life isn't long enough to fit it all in. Good luck with your retirement - may it be long and happy.

radicalnan Thu 20-Jul-17 11:30:58

I hardly get a spare moment I seem to be forever taking parcels in and now discover from previous posts, I could have had a lover.....bugger. Too late now the postman's not an option and I have abandoned all else.

Did voluntary work for some years got disenchanted. Now I have had to abandon my solitary quest to rid the plant of biscuits......not sure what to do next.

mancgirl Thu 20-Jul-17 11:35:05

I had grand ideas for when I retired. I would make proper meals from scratch, sort out cupboards and wardrobes, go through and get rid of years of paper work, bills etc and keep on top of house work. Doesn't happen! I try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week, look after dgs on Monday's, have a date day most Wednesday's with DH and so on. Took advantage of £10 ew rail fare to London yesterday and went to see Dreamgirls in the cheap seatssmile. Keeping in touch with friends is important too. Love meeting up with my girlfriends, keeps you in touch with the outside world. Housework etc doesn't go away it's always there for another timeblush. Make the most of your retirement. As others may agree don't know how I found the time to go to work!

eGJ Thu 20-Jul-17 11:42:26

U3A has been mentioned on a number of threads; is there one where you are clickgran ? There could be a photography group! Give it a go, lots of GNs have mentioned it and it opens new doors and can even take over your life!! grin

Anya Thu 20-Jul-17 11:54:46

Wait for a bit and see how you feel. You might be one of the 'how did I ever find the time to work?' people. Give yourself space to relax into retirement and then see what you think.

JaneD3 Thu 20-Jul-17 12:08:27

We are of the generation who had to learn a language at school - mine was French. One year into retirement, I am one year into a french course and loving it. Also made friends there which is a bonus. I find that being out at work all day for years has reduced the number of friends I have locally but now I am getting to know the neighbours better and meeting new people. Doing the front garden always brings them out for a chat!