Gransnet forums

Chat

When we are Brexited.....

(156 Posts)
trisher Sun 23-Jul-17 16:54:49

In town the other day I couldn't help but notice the number of cafes and bars with tables and chairs out side and I suddenly realised the huge impact them furriners have had on our culture and I now understand where the leavers were coming from.Sitting outside really isn't British. It's been imported from foreign parts. So when we are Brexited I expect to see the end to this sitting outside eating and drinking, which as we all know can lead to all sorts of problems, like a chill on your kidneys, or King Koff same as not wearing a vest in winter.
What do you expect/hope to see the end of after Brexit?

Ana Sun 23-Jul-17 16:56:52

What's 'King Koff'?

rosesarered Sun 23-Jul-17 16:57:47

grin.... who knows?

M0nica Sun 23-Jul-17 16:59:31

Well, we will see an end to global warming in the UK, we will go back to the old money and to imperial weights and measures, £350 million a week extra will be invested in the NHS and women's retirement age will go back to 60.

Or at least that is what I was told before the referendum.

rosesarered Sun 23-Jul-17 17:00:15

We will still be on the same Continent trisher and we will still enjoy our holidays abroad, and still enjoy all the little things that we like that we have copied.Although sitting outside a Costa on a cold day is something I have never favoured. cafe

trisher Sun 23-Jul-17 17:15:28

Don't know what King Koff is Ana but my Irish GM always warned me about it and how naughty children were struck down by it if they didn't wear a vest/got wet feet etc. (actually I think she may have misheard Whooping Cough.)

GillT57 Sun 23-Jul-17 17:43:36

Agreed, no more of that EU nonsense once we are out! Be able to smoke in pubs again ( Farage), probably on tops of buses as well. There wont be anymore of that fancy cafe culture; be tea in thick white cups, teaspoon chained to the table, vague smell of chip fat and over cooked cabbage.....Back to the good old days eh? grin

M0nica Sun 23-Jul-17 21:36:08

As John Major said (although in a different context). After Brexit Britain will ... be the country of long shadows on county grounds, warm beer, invincible green suburbs, dog lovers and pools fillers and, as George Orwell said, 'Old maids bicycling to holy communion through the morning mist' and, if we get our way, Shakespeare will still be read even in school.

trisher Sun 23-Jul-17 21:39:53

Oh yes of course and it'll be all John Betjeman, with honey for tea. grin

Darnsarf Sun 23-Jul-17 22:02:00

Oh goody, about time too.

Tegan2 Sun 23-Jul-17 22:24:18

Won't be swimming/paddling in the sea. Wasn't it those pesky Europeans who cleaned up the seas round these 'ere parts.

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Jul-17 23:04:11

We'll have to cook in lard or dripping - no olive oil any more.
Oh, wait a minute, don't we all use organic rapeseed oil these days?

Someone will open a factory making liberty bodices which we will all be forced to wear in the winter so that we don't get King Koff.

I will be able to spend my jar of old pennies - hurray!

Deedaa Sun 23-Jul-17 23:04:52

MOnica GS1 is reading Shakespeare at his primary school. They've been doing Macbeth and the Tempest. He loves it.

According to a lady I heard on TV we shall be able to eat mushy peas with our fish and chips! Not sure where she got that one from hmm

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Jul-17 23:10:16

DGD1 has been doing Shakespeare too and they have acted parts of one of the plays (Romeo and Juliet I think) in class but not in front of parents.

I always have mushy peas with my fish and chips! The other kind tend to bounce around too much.

suzied Mon 24-Jul-17 03:52:46

We won't be able to afford holidays abroad as the £ will have crashed even more. Does anyone remember before the Common Market when you were only allowed to bring back 3 bottles of wine and 1 bottle of spirits? Then for a few years we had all those "booze cruises" , which have now gone out of fashion as the cost of wine etc has gone down so much relatively. Smuggling will become big business again. Prices of wine , olive oil etc will soar so none of that fancy furrin food. We will be a gambling tax haven.Half the people who voted Brexit will have died by the time it comes so maybe they'll be another vote......Shangri La

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 07:37:35

We will go back to the Britain of the 50s where you rarely heard a foreign accent and £.s.d. Will take back control. Silly laws like protecting our wild life will go and we can reintroduce all those useful pesticides and herbicides.

Anya Mon 24-Jul-17 07:42:14

Will the nation get nice and slim again? So then there will be less stress on the NHS.

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 07:47:00

No!! All the retired will have to come back from Spain etc so they will clog the system

nightowl Mon 24-Jul-17 08:00:38

I was warned about king coff trisher by a friend I met at High School aged 11 (although she called it chinkoff). I had never heard of it before, nor had any of our other new friends, but it had the same meaning as you describe and became a source of great amusement for the next 7 years. In fact it still is as we are all still in touch and we continue to use it as a threat when one or other of us suggests sitting out in the cold. It's good to hear someone else has heard of it!

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 08:00:39

Tweet from Robert Harris on the preferred year settings of various politicians.

Corbyn 1972
Farage 1940
Fox 1913
Rees Mogg 1558
Duncan Smith 1065
Cash 56BC

grin

GracesGranMK2 Mon 24-Jul-17 08:11:16

And ... of course we will go back to teaching mental arithmetic and tables to our little ones. It must have been the EU that stopped all that. grin

GracesGranMK2 Mon 24-Jul-17 08:14:29

Oh and we will bring back the village churches - it doesn't matter that there is no one going to them. I want to see them and they can't tell me differently! smile

GracesGranMK2 Mon 24-Jul-17 08:15:44

Slightly too near the truth perhaps - we will all go back to having allotments and growing our own veg.

varian Mon 24-Jul-17 08:30:26

Everyone will do as they're told. No more of that "laissez faire" foreign nonsense.

Smithy Mon 24-Jul-17 09:00:48

Will we have to darn socks?