Gransnet forums

Chat

Advertising on the active forum page

(25 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Fri 18-Aug-17 08:44:32

I totally get why sites have adverts especially when they are a non pay site like this one but can anyone please explain why I have 2 huge banner ads , one on either side of the page for.....Pampers !!!!

I haven't purchased Pampers, I haven't googled Pampers, I'm a Nana so apart from when I have small visitors I don't have Pampers in the house !!

Maybe Pampers are thinking of moving into the adult incontinence market ????

Anya Fri 18-Aug-17 08:48:01

That's the way of the world these days Nana and ads appear everywhere.

GNHQ will have accepted these ads as income. Sites like this are not run for charity - they are businesses and reap a profit for their owners and shareholders.

NanaandGrampy Fri 18-Aug-17 09:20:56

Totally get that Anya but in this day of data tracking I wonder how they got that I needed Pampers ads of all things ??

Charleygirl Fri 18-Aug-17 09:30:56

Luckily I do not receive any ads, sorry GNHQ!

I agree N&G Pampers are not quite appropriate for our age group.

Alima Fri 18-Aug-17 09:32:44

At the moment along the top about sending money to Europe which I have never done. At the side there is an ad. for car dealers, have been looking so that makes sense. I usually just block these ads out so they make no difference to me. Just hope we don't end up with flashing ads on the thread pages, wouldn't put anything past them now.

annsixty Fri 18-Aug-17 10:03:37

I have Air France and Lufthansa this morning.
It is many a year since I googled airlines.
Not that I don't think about it many times a day, this being one of them and the day is still young ?

rascal Fri 18-Aug-17 10:13:58

I use Adblocker to get on to the forum and I don't see any ads. It's great. wink

Charleygirl Fri 18-Aug-17 10:41:42

I agree rascal best invention yet.

Elegran Fri 18-Aug-17 10:44:29

N&G Have you posted anything like "I do pamper my grandchildren . . ." ?

phoenix Fri 18-Aug-17 10:50:37

I've got the Pampers ad too, and I can assure I have definitely NOT Googled them or ever said anything about pampering!

I did wonder if it might be because we had a thread of Soops that had pampered pets in the title, but probably not.

Katek Fri 18-Aug-17 11:43:24

I'm being invited to a digital marketing event.......??

Anya Fri 18-Aug-17 14:23:53

Probably a job lot - is it on Mumsnet too?

nanaK54 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:27:33

I have the Pampers ads too.......

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 18-Aug-17 16:43:00

Hi, thanks for highlighting. We are working with Pampers on this campaign. We appreciate it doesn't apply to everyone but there are many users who look after their grandchildren and do buy things such as nappies etc.

Elegran Fri 18-Aug-17 16:48:56

I am getting used to the font, but I don't think the way the title of each thread is headed under the "I am on" "Last hour" and "Last Day" lists is more accessible. Surely putting a line return between the topic name and the thread name would not be difficult? Then they will be on different lines and not seem to be all one link - as it is, if visitors click at the start of the heading they are taken to a list of all the threads under that topic, when they want to go to the thread.

NanaandGrampy Fri 18-Aug-17 16:58:05

Thanks Lara so it's site specific not personalised ?

I won't allow myself to be persuaded to rush out and buy Pampers then :-)

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 18-Aug-17 17:03:07

Yes, it's across the site. No specific targeting!

Greyduster Fri 18-Aug-17 19:33:41

I don't have Pampers - I have insecticide and something called a Hori Hori knife. If they advertised a Hari Kiri knife I might buy one - my bathroom fitter has gone AWOL!!

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Aug-17 20:13:22

I have put an Ad blocker on shock
so I am not cost-effective for GN hmm

I have bought Pampers but they don't need them any more thank goodness.

rascal Fri 18-Aug-17 20:56:53

Yes Charleygirl I'm glad I know about it. I think I read about it on here a while ago. wink

Charleygirl Fri 18-Aug-17 22:35:23

rascal it was the fellow who trouble shoots my computer as and when who suggested it.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 06:48:38

The only advert I see is a tiny one for JDWilliams over to my top right corner is that because I m on an iPad ?

rascal Sat 19-Aug-17 08:36:22

Oh Charleygirl you are lucky you know a fellow who can trouble shoot your computer. I just muddle along, trial & error is the name of the game for me. wink flowers

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Aug-17 09:19:11

Pampers are not quite appropriate for our age group.
They are not big enough for our backsides either.

Always Discrete "sensitive bladder" products are also made by Proctor and Gamble which makes sense. If you have the factory and the technology to make Pampers just make them bigger .

I am reliably informed by my DD and her two year old that ASDA nappies work perfectly well. grin

As I thought Proctor and Gamble own Pampers . I detest all these massively powerful comglomerates.

Charleygirl Sat 19-Aug-17 10:04:42

rascal I have a problem getting him to accept money!

The previous fellow was also very good but was a non stop talker but took that into consideration when billing me and it was never that much. He died tragically and very quickly from an aggressive tumour.