Gransnet forums

Chat

Found out something new about yourself?

(62 Posts)
LyndaW Sat 19-Aug-17 14:02:00

Since I retired I've found that I actually enjoy cooking which came as a real shock to me. Until then I would do anything to avoid it and I used to take as many shortcuts as possible. I took no pride in my kitchen and relied heavily on convenience food.
It's so odd to me that after years of avoiding it, it's now one of the things that gives me the most pleasure. All the dusty cookbooks I've gathered over the years are now being used. And the added bonus is even though we're eating well and probably more than before, because it's generally healthier than the convenience food, we aren't putting on weight. And my DH loves it too.
Anyone else discover an unexpected hobby or passion when they retired?

Jane10 Sat 19-Aug-17 14:54:36

I really didn't expect the book (now books) to take off the way they have and the spin offs from them. All the nicer for being such a surprise.
GN played a part too. So many of you responded to my blog post about department stores with anecdotes that I began to talk about them then lo and behold it turns out to be 'social history' and I'm now talking at history events as well as my usual ones. All I wanted was something interesting to do.

Jane10 Mon 21-Aug-17 08:37:12

Oh dear. I seem to have put the kibosh (spelling?) On this thread. Sorry LyndaW. I had been looking forward to reading about how others had got on.

kittylester Mon 21-Aug-17 08:41:18

I have discovered that I am quite likeable - or people are very good at coping with me!!

It is quite an achievement for me to acknowledge that having been quite lacking in self confidence until fairly recently.

illtellhim Mon 21-Aug-17 08:49:53

Hi Jane10, it would really help me if you told us what book you're on about.

As for finding something out about myself, well no, I've don't think I've ever been interested in anything, in fact I've often been in awe of what other people do but could not be bothered to start, quite boring really, well I'll tell you, from 7 till 9 every morning I'm on GN, have been for years. I also post under 3 different names, other GNetters do it, but that as far as it goes, defiantly, quite boring really.

MawBroon Mon 21-Aug-17 08:52:28

I didn't know multiple posting was allowed. confused
Defiantly or otherwise hmm

Jane10 Mon 21-Aug-17 09:35:26

Well that's got me wondering!

Daisydoo2 Mon 21-Aug-17 10:11:01

I've found I actually like people since retiring. Whilst at work I put up with rude customers and began to avoid others outside work because of it. Now mixing with nicer people who have restored my faith. Should have retired earlier!

AlexG Mon 21-Aug-17 10:16:07

Defiantly or definitely. There's a distinct difference (which people don't seem to see) but can't see which the poster meant!

kittylester Mon 21-Aug-17 10:16:24

I recognise the style!

justwokeup Mon 21-Aug-17 10:37:44

Just started knitting again - not done that since my own were tiny - but that came along with the DGS! Maybe I'll try something adult-sized one day.

Irenelily Mon 21-Aug-17 10:49:18

When I first retired I got into Family History, inspired by the fact my mother had left behind certain documents about her family. It was fascinating, I went on courses joined a FH club, spent time at the Family Records Centre, started computing after volunteering to decode Parish Records and made news friends and aquaintances. We even visited Australia to meet up with a cousin who contacted me through a "One Name Website"! After we moved from Greater London, I found I could continue researching online. I don't spend as much time on it now, as I am very involved as a School Governor and also the FH is now at the stage of almost unsolvable problems. But I am happy to have a lot of information to pass on to my family - and it has been so much fun!

Diggingdoris Mon 21-Aug-17 10:54:14

With more time on our hands retirement gives us the chance to explore deeper into our interests. Just before I retired I fancied learning how to arrange flowers properly and signed up at college. That was such an enjoyable experience and I found I had a talent for it, so I went further and am now qualified as a florist. That spread from just keeping garden tidy over the working years, to now being an avid plant addict, sowing and propagating, learning Latin names etc. I'm amazed how much I've learnt.

devongirl Mon 21-Aug-17 11:01:44

Diggingdoris very impressive, great to hear.

ninathenana Mon 21-Aug-17 11:32:30

It never crossed my mind that people would have multiple personas shock

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:52:34

Are you called Eve as well itellhim?

The Three Faces of Eve

Jane10 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:58:11

Apart from anything else, why bother?

Grannyknot Mon 21-Aug-17 12:11:40

Like Lynda and justwokeup - I've discovered or should that be re-discovered? my love of cooking and also knitting.

DameJudyClench Mon 21-Aug-17 12:39:04

Not retired yet, but have discovered that I have a talent for art.

Also found out that I like vegetarian sausages grin

Sheilasue Mon 21-Aug-17 12:40:35

I have loved reading since I was a child. Now I am retired I can read more.
Used to love colouring in and now you have adults one I found it's very relaxing .

HootyMcOwlface Mon 21-Aug-17 12:41:31

Diggingdoris I am jealous of your talent! I can spend ages trying to arrange a bunch of flowers, and it always looks like I just chucked them in the vase! grin

grandMattie Mon 21-Aug-17 12:48:04

Having had my self-confidence in everything severely dented by DPs as a youngster, it is only now in my late 60s that I have found out I am rather nice, and people like to talk to me!
I also have found out I am quite good at baking/cooking etc. and I enjoy it. I recently sold a lot of preserves, especially marmalade to help my church. Very profitable it was too. Since moving house, I do less now.
Going to the WI college, Denman, and doing various courses has shown me I actually know quite a lot. Not only that, but I am quite good at it too... grin

inishowen Mon 21-Aug-17 13:08:38

I found a talent for knitting. I had done it as a child but gave up for many years. Now I get excited at all the lovely new yarns and patterns available.

HillyN Mon 21-Aug-17 13:24:49

I hadn't done any crocheting since the craze went round when I was at school, but since retiring I have done a few cardigans and bootees for my new grandson. I also offered to help out with a bit of book-keeping for the church and that has evolved into becoming the Treasurer- something I never expected!

Irenelily Mon 21-Aug-17 13:30:34

Reading all about your craft interests I remembered a couple of years ago I took up cross stitch, my eldest grand daughter asked to learn. She is now much better at it than I am and produces wonderful presents for Christmas, Birthdays and her friends' new babies. She says she finds it relaxing after teaching 8year olds!