Gransnet forums

Chat

Doing something that feels difficult!

(9 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 11:00:48

Started writing my CV last week (many thanks Teetime for your helpfulness) and am having a 'get it sorted' so I can finally start applying for things this week.

I have realised I need at least 2 CVs - one formal, one less so, depending on applications and my head is hurting from trying to 'craft' info for online applications. I think it also seems more difficult because I am seeking a career change, so needing to accentuate 'transferable skills' alongside career path to date .

So, lots of 'breaks' between completing different sections and GN for therapy in-between - that and now chocolate!

There are positives in getting the old grey matter stirring and realising just how much I have done in the past ten years in particular, but brain ache (career ache?) is definitely setting in. I think I am quite good with words and don't lack the confidence to 'sell' myself, but it is still scary ...

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 11:10:27

P.S. - meant to ask what makes your brain ache (took me three goes to spell brain correctly!)

Teetime Wed 13-Sep-17 14:29:07

Numbers!! Thank fully someone taught me to use spreadsheets some years ago and now I am in control but numbers hurt my head. Good luck with the cv. I understand what you mean about two different modes. If you put everything on some you frighten people off.

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 14:46:28

Well, nearly there now with my CV - brain ache indeed! That allows time for tweaking as I want to get it online by Friday. My DS1 is very good for proof reading purposes and I have a couple of friends who might look it over for me from an advisory perspective.

CV writing has also helped me to clarify what I really enjoy and what I am skilled at and, I hope, will mean that I do not undersell myself.

There was some good advice here on GN about getting started too.

Teetime, I don't mind data handling, love the analysis, but pixel spreadsheets - uuuugh!

Humbertbear Wed 13-Sep-17 14:49:40

Sorry to be a downer but you will need to tweak your CV for every job application to make it relevant to the job in question

NanaandGrampy Wed 13-Sep-17 15:18:27

I agree Humbert , best advice I was ever given was to mirror the language in the job spec. If they were looking for a specific thing or evidence of it , then that went in the Cv and something else came out.

Good luck \!!

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:24:16

Not a downer at all, I know you are right Humbert - there are obvious places to 'play' with it - and a wholly different style of one for some less formal applications. But relieved it is nearly done now. And feeling virtuous (sort of) because I missed lunch ... Trying not to slide now, but those whispers of sherry and damson gn are not helping grin.

Luckygirl Wed 13-Sep-17 17:05:52

Wouldn't you rather retire? grin

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 17:20:55

Luckygirl, l cannot afford to. In 5 years DH so get a pension and l should be able to cut down if needs. be then, but. not yet. I am relatively young and should have a decade left in me yet ... ( Grimaces)