Gransnet forums

Chat

How should I use this superpower?

(48 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 23-Oct-17 14:14:34

I have just discovered I am invisible (as is my car). Whilst in the supermarket I had people running into the back of me with trolleys, was unseen at the fresh meat counter and had someone pick up an item I had my hand on. When driving home I had a cyclist ride across a light controlled crossing whilst the green light was in my favour, a lorry pulled out of a side road directly into my path causing me to brake hard and a jogger run straight out in front of my car!

I am now wondering whether to use this new found super power for good or evil! grin

Greyduster Mon 23-Oct-17 14:33:22

Oh, evil! Absolutely! Get your own back in the b****rs!

Auntieflo Mon 23-Oct-17 15:21:04

It's the cloak of invisibility. I think a lot more of us have it than we realise. grin

lemongrove Mon 23-Oct-17 16:55:26

Blimey! What a dangerous day you had.?
Try wearing a red faux fur coat.

Smithy Mon 23-Oct-17 17:13:56

Think I know his you're feeling - I believe it happens when you reach a certain age. I also find sometimes when I speak its totally ignored so maybe I'm a ghost!

grannyactivist Mon 23-Oct-17 17:45:50

I absolutely understand your joy at having such an amazing superpower. I once told The Wonderful Man that I had an invisible car, it was a small sage green Fiesta that no-one but I could see when I took it out on the road. Sure enough TWM took it out a few times himself and discovered I was correct - it was invisible to all other road users!

loopyloo Mon 23-Oct-17 18:50:52

It happens to me. Why do we become invisible?
Outside school, I am one of the last people to catch the teachers eye.
Do you think more makeup and chunky jewellery would help?

loopyloo Mon 23-Oct-17 18:52:02

Or orange streaks in my hair?

Grandma2213 Tue 24-Oct-17 03:40:07

Smithy ... no one hears me when I speak either especially if they are related to me. I warned DS about the storm 'Brian' which was about to visit us. An hour later (from his phone of course!) he informed me about the storm 'Brian' that was on the way. DGC also carry on regardless of what I try to tell them.

When I confront DS about it he says it's because I speak in 'the same voice so nobody hears it!!' Er.. What??!! confused

inishowen Tue 24-Oct-17 10:02:16

I acquired this power when I reached 50. I've said to my husband "I could walk through town in my nightie and nobody would see me". At my Pilates class one woman was inviting people to her house for coffee. She completely left me out! We all have our places to stand at Pilates and will leave a space free if someone is late. If I'm late someone will always be in my place! The teacher still doesn't know my name yet I've been going to various classes with her for 30 years! I could go on ...

Nonnie Tue 24-Oct-17 10:07:35

Where to you live? I want to avoid it.

SillyNanny321 Tue 24-Oct-17 10:16:44

I have often wondered about this invisibility power i seem to have suddenly been given! Walking round town I am often walked into, have doors shut in my face, ignored in a queue & talked over in shops. Even with my walking stick I am invisible. Only time I am not invisible is if someone wants money!

curlilox Tue 24-Oct-17 10:21:50

I had a car once that had a mysterious button. We decided it was a Klingon cloaking device (from Star Trek). grin Other cars kept driving into it and the first thing they always said was "Sorry, I didn't see you." It was big and red! I must have had at least 20 accidents in that car. It was eventually written off as it was hit by a stolen car while parked outside our house.shock

sluttygran Tue 24-Oct-17 10:29:34

Unfortunately, it seems that the only cure for invisibility is to become EXTREMELY eccentric. You get a lot of attention then, but it’s mainly from the Police and the Mental Health team. ?

Lindylou57 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:09:29

Thought this was just my power. I get bumped into all the time whilst strolling though the shopping centre and ignored while queuing to pay, overlooked when anyone plans a night out and no one ever listens when I speak, people even walk away whist I'm in mid conversation with them. Had this 'super power' all my life.

LouLou21 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:37:55

You are a woman you are over sixty ergo you are invisible.

Oldwoman70 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:45:43

Wish it was just my age - thinking about it I think it has been coming on gradually for years. I remember a few years back was invited to a BBQ, host went around giving everyone drinks, serving them food. Everyone was on their second helping and he hadn't given me anything - I was on the verge of going home when he noticed!

HootyMcOwlface Tue 24-Oct-17 11:49:04

I have the cloak too, on the road and walking. People walk straight at me and it is always me that has to move even if I'm pushing a wheelchair. People are so rude.

Coconut Tue 24-Oct-17 12:19:33

We all seem to be in the same club and it’s def age related !

Rosina Tue 24-Oct-17 12:20:02

Oh I am so glad that I am not alone in this. I suggest things to family when asked for an opinion; invariably I am ignored and then they later complain as they wish they had done or bought such and such which is usually what I had suggested. Sorry if that does sound a bit fatheaded but it has happened on at least three occasions with my DS, involving his hasty decisions on both a new kitchen and windows for his house. I start talking and someone cuts across and then everyone carries on as if I haven't spoken; I have been almost mown down by a young mum with a huge buggy talking angrily on her phone - had I not leapt out of the way I would have been squashed into Debenham's window - and I too stand in shops feeling like Harry Potter in his cloak. Yes - we disappear after fifty I fear!

maddy629 Tue 24-Oct-17 12:28:50

It's true, we do become invisible at a certain age, even my husband can't see me on occasion. Usually when I ask him to do something.

Tessa101 Tue 24-Oct-17 12:32:49

Blimey oldeoman70 have you thought about getting a hi vis jacket. Be careful next time you venture out.

Aepgirl Tue 24-Oct-17 13:12:01

Use it to eavesdrop on a should be a really confidential conversation. Have fun with it too!!

auntbett Tue 24-Oct-17 13:16:02

I'm pleased you've gained the superpower of being deemed invisible! I've been experiencing this phenomenon for quite a number of years now - it's SO empowering!

Luckylegs Tue 24-Oct-17 13:16:25

I've been on Gransnet for years but have just changed my username as I decided it was a bit too recognisable to friends and family if the thread was to appear in the Daily Mail!

I have come to the conclusion that people are so used to talking across the television so that it's very common now to be totally cut off mid comment. I find I can be speaking amongst family or friends and someone will inevitably just decide to cut in, perhaps repeating what I've been trying to say!