Gransnet forums

Chat

Jesus replaced with a Gregg's sausage roll.

(1000 Posts)
Day6 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:25:32

The Guardian would have us believe that only 'flaky' Christians are likely to be upset by Gregg's depiction of the Nativity, placing a sausage roll in the manger.

So, Christians are 'flaky" (oh so witty, not) to be upset?

I am no longer a church-goer but I was brought up as a Christian, as were many of us I suspect, and I am offended that Greggs think it is OK to offend as they have. Not only that, journalists like this oh so lofty sneering one place the blame for any offence on silly Christians who are obviously not normal if they have faith.

It really sickens me, this media hatred of certain groups when some are beyond criticism.

One journalist suggested all religions are open to parody and it is par for the course. I'd suggest otherwise. Make fun of Mohammed and you'll be blown to smithereens. Think Charlie Hebdo.

The hilarity the defaced manger scene has caused over the internet puzzles me. Greggs in their insensitivity have become the comic heroes and Christians, for believing in Christ's lowly birth, are the idiotic 'right wing' reactionaries, according to left wing media.

I am cross at the power of social media to dictate what we should think, but also on behalf of my truly lovely Christian friends. One told me she has 'turned the other cheek'.

How do you feel?

Oldwoman70 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:33:44

As mentioned on a previous thread I am not particularly offended by this but I do think it is distasteful. It seems OK to make fun of Christianity but all other faiths are out of bounds.

I look forward to seeing similar depictions of Mohammad just before Ramadan,, Shiva holding meat pies, also Buddha and symbols of other religions.

tidyskatemum Fri 17-Nov-17 13:36:17

I'm a very lapsed Catholic but I have to say I was quite shocked by the crass insensitivity of the Greggs ad and the sneering Guardian journalists who wouldn't dream of poking ridicule at anything Muslim.
I think it shows just how our society is obsessed with consumption (in this case literally!). Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus any more, just what you can spend on meaningless stuff.

Day6 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:38:34

PS: The journalist using 'flaky' to describe Christians is a Christian apparently, although he defends Greggs and writes about 'persecution'. Hmm.

My thoughts are more about the widespread fun-poking and insensitivity across social media. Trends can be created and the unthinking hop on the band-wagon. I have never known a climate, in my lifetime, in which Christians have been so vilified.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Nov-17 13:40:36

Its in very bad taste, considering how we pussyfoot around other beliefs for fear of offending. A lot of the time though, that is perpetuated by the media, rather than the truth.

Anniebach Fri 17-Nov-17 13:53:36

So I am flakey

Primrose65 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:02:24

It's just such a bad choice of words when you're talking about sausage rolls and religion. I've never been to a Greggs and their ridiculous stunts with pastry products will not change that.

Jalima1108 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:09:07

Let us hope they do not use a sausage roll if depicting Mohammed in the same insensitive manner.
That would be doubly offensive.

Anniebach Fri 17-Nov-17 14:12:59

Sorry I can't agree it's doubly offensive, Christ is the centre of my life and to know he is being compared with a sausage roll hurts and makes me angry,

Jalima1108 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:13:32

I meant the pork would be an added insult Annie

Jalima1108 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:14:41

I really don't understand why they did it
confused

MissAdventure Fri 17-Nov-17 14:16:28

I was thinking about the 'dove' advert which caused controversy. Maybe they're following suit?

Anniebach Fri 17-Nov-17 14:18:32

I agree Day6, it's acceptable to call Christians bible bashers but never .Jews Torah bashers ,or Muslim Qur'an bashers ,

tessagee Fri 17-Nov-17 14:18:52

Who actually buys and reads the Guardian? I have to say that their journalists' opinions on any religion are completely unimportant.

As for Greggs, well I've never bought anything from them and am hardly likely to start doing so.

The antics of either will not in the least affect my love of and thanksgiving for Christmas and its message.

lemongrove Fri 17-Nov-17 14:18:57

It sounds a bizarre stunt to me, and yes, I can imagine the storm if Mohammed was portayed in a comic way.
This will backfire on Greggs.
Typical of The Guardian to be sneery.

suzied Fri 17-Nov-17 14:19:47

Though it could be argued that Christians (and Jews) are tolerant, can laugh at themselves and are not po-faced , which makes these faiths preferable to those who take offence at every little thing.

lemongrove Fri 17-Nov-17 14:27:37

True Suzied but this is a Nativity scene, Christmas, and not ‘every little thing’ but a big thing.
Greggs must be idiots.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Nov-17 14:27:55

Maybe its all part of a bigger picture? Part of a conspiracy to divide and conquer?

Baggs Fri 17-Nov-17 14:38:29

People love Greggs sausage rolls. Maybe that's what it's about? I don't really get it though. I doubt it was meant to be insulting any more than the xmas card my parents got from some Christian friends of theirs many years ago on which the nativity scene was shown and the caption: "It's a girl!"

Just a bad joke that fell flat.

whitewave Fri 17-Nov-17 14:42:13

baggs it made me grin.

Baggs Fri 17-Nov-17 14:46:10

What? The sausage roll or the announcement?

The announcement made my Christian parents grin ?

Chewbacca Fri 17-Nov-17 14:46:49

Agree with the majority on here; if Christian was replaced with Jewish or Buddhist or Muslim, the media outrage would be all over Greggs like a rash. But the faith of Christianity seems to be fair game for ridicule and disrespect. I hope this comes back to bite Greggs where it hurts most - their profits.

Anniebach Fri 17-Nov-17 14:46:58

Sorry Jalima x

suzied, replacing the .Christ child with a sausage roll is mocking the Christ child , nothing po-faced about finding this deeply offensive

Baggs Fri 17-Nov-17 14:47:21

Actually I think that people in general do seem rather 'flakey' nowadays. Up in arms about every bloody thing.

Day6 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:47:34

"Though it could be argued that Christians (and Jews) are tolerant, can laugh at themselves and are not po-faced , which makes these faiths preferable to those who take offence at every little thing."

I know what you mean suzied and I see tolerance as a strength but I also see a wholesale campaign directed at what some see as the idiocy of Christianity and a condemnation of those with faith as being unhinged.

Aren't we supposed to stand up to that sort of intolerance of faith and bullying of people who won't fight back? Do we submit one faith to ridicule because it's followers are gentle and forgiving but steer clear of others because we know their passion and faith can be fanatical and ignited in dangerous ways?

Are Greggs likely to do a mosque scene that is in bad taste any day soon?

Thought not.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion