Gransnet forums

Chat

How much do you spend as a woman!

(49 Posts)
Bluegal Thu 23-Nov-17 19:13:40

This is totally random but I saw a newsfeed that was asking the cost of 'being a woman' . There was an on-line calculator to work out how much you had spent in a lifetime on sanitary products. Implications were that women were hard done to!

Curiosity got the better of me so I took the test and the result was I had spent something like £1,666 in my LIFETIME on pads and tampons! (from age 12-55) Mmmmm....do I feel hard done to over 40+ years? I thought about the amount of money I have spent on hair cuts, make-up, perfume, tanning, clothes etc which FAR outweigh the feminine products! I am still continuing to do so. DH doesn't spend anything like what I spend on 'looking good' (or trying to smile )

My question is: Do you feel hard done to? Is it such a massive output in the grand scale of things? Would cessation of tax on sanitary products make such an inpact on your life over so many years?

Sorry to go on but it amused me ....

dbDB77 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:27:47

For me it's unacceptable to have VAT charged on sanitary products. VAT is not charged on essential products and this includes food, books, children's clothes, equipment for disabled. I never considered my tampons to be anything but essential.
I don't object to having paid however much for the sanitary products themselves - it's the price paid for the privilege of being a woman ?

M0nica Thu 23-Nov-17 19:44:50

Should VAT be charged onsanitary protection (I assume this tax is on all sanutary products)? No.

Do I feel hard done by because it is? since you have to buy your own sanitary protection anyway I do not see that VAT makes enough difference in the price to matter.

There is a quite separate problem with those women, mostly in developing countries, who cannot afford to buy sanitary protection at all and there will be a few like that in the UK, but for the vast majority of women, the amount it will save each month, as a proportion of a months salary, will be insignificant.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 19:46:29

Exactly what Monica says.smile

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Nov-17 19:54:40

No VAT should not be charged on sanitary products.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:12:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nelliemoser Thu 23-Nov-17 20:34:09

Women really should not have to pay Vat on sanitary protection. I am past it now.

Ilovecheese Thu 23-Nov-17 20:44:33

It's the principle rather than the cost.

Alima Thu 23-Nov-17 20:46:33

I agree that VAT should not be charged on tampons. (Is vat charged on razors, just wondering). No, don’t feel hard done by, all that ended yonks ago anyway. My initial thought is that little else is spent on being a woman, surely it is money spent on being a person? Some women are high maintenance, some not at all. Seem to hear more lately about the amount of money some males spend on being a man, no idea if that is true as DH has never gone in for moisturiser etc.

midgey Thu 23-Nov-17 20:48:52

Cat is charged on sanitary products in this country, and in this country there are girls missing school because they cannot afford these products.

midgey Thu 23-Nov-17 20:49:15

Vat even

Bluegal Thu 23-Nov-17 21:02:39

Which country is that midgey? I was only referring to UK tbh. Of COURSE nobody likes tax of any description. I just wondered how many people felt that paying tax on such products caused them unnecessary hardship?

Wondering if the same people don't feel hard done to paying £50 for a haircut, getting false nails, spray tans, buying cosmetics...the list goes on. Am being slightly facitious about it all so don't take me seriously or literally but for me, the cost of sanitary products in the UK for MOST people is nothing compared to what women willingly pay for other products/treatments.

Welshwife Thu 23-Nov-17 22:17:29

We were discussing this point among other things in our French Class this week. We were talking about how all women's products such as shampoo. Shower gels , razors are more expensive (by a long way) than the male equivalent. In some cases the product is basically the same but coloured pink rather than blue or green. They cannot cost that much more to produce than the male equivalent. Are we seen as a soft touch?

M0nica Thu 23-Nov-17 22:34:06

Personally, I think any one daft enough to buy a special razor for women, deserves all they pay. As a somewhat hirsute woman I have been using a razor on my legs for 50+ years plus and have never ever bought or used a woman's razor. Currently I buy standard disposable razors.

A razor is a razor, is a razor, is a razor to pay extra for something in a pretty colour, is, as I said, daft.

grannyticktock Thu 23-Nov-17 22:49:06

Everyone has to spend something on their personal care, grooming etc. Women probably have higher essential costs (sanitary products etc) but also higher optional costs (cosmetics, hairdressers etc). Men (mostly) have to buy shaving products and some also choose to spend a lot on grooming products such as hair gels and after shave. I really don't see that the difference is such a big feminist issue in this country. There are plenty of gender-neutral shampoos, shower gels etc and there is no need to buy fancy girlie products unless you choose to.

Glenfinnan Thu 23-Nov-17 23:17:10

I’m always amazed when women say they spend £1.50 on a packet of sanitary towels. I also buy Sainsbury’s essentials/basics range at 25p for 10 soft towels.... great value, although my days of periods are long gone I use them as panty liners.

grannyactivist Fri 24-Nov-17 01:03:11

When I was young and we were very poor my family couldn't afford sanitary products for me. At a later stage in my life I did buy them even though every penny counted; I just couldn't bear not to, but I felt guilty about spending the money. Nowadays sanitary towels and tampons are received with tremendous gratitude at my local foodbank and by the homeless women I work with.
Trust me, for some women every penny does count and in my view VAT on sanitary products is a scandal.

Marmight Fri 24-Nov-17 04:32:10

As the mother of 3 daughters I was for some years, when money was a bit tight, forking out for 4 lots of sanitary products! I did feel somewhat hard done by. No, they shouldn't be taxed. GA I hadn't thought about donating to a food bank. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll def include sanitary products next time..

ninathenana Fri 24-Nov-17 05:41:18

Glenfinnan Sainsbury's cheaper pads would have been no good for the likes of me when I needed them I had to buy the more expensive brands for reasons I'm sure you'll understand.

Badenkate Fri 24-Nov-17 11:39:13

It might have 'amused' you bluegal, but just consider for a moment those women who are struggling each month to make ends meet and who can't even dream of tanning salons and hairdressers etc etc. Maybe it isn't a great deal of money but to some people a small amount of money is, in fact, a large amount. For essential items like tampons and towels there should be no VAT - or would you prefer to see the poorer members of society go back to using rags and washing them out for reuse?

paddyann Fri 24-Nov-17 11:55:17

The Scottish government has a new initiative where free sanitary products are available in schools,apparently in poor areas girls are missing school because they cant afford tampons or pads.If families are struggling to pay bills and feed themselves then 2 or 3 young women needing sanitary products will be an extra cost they can ill afford

chelseababy Fri 24-Nov-17 13:02:03

Isn't the vat compulsory being in EU? After Brexit. .....

Badenkate Fri 24-Nov-17 13:16:17

Dream on Chelseababy

Bluegal Fri 24-Nov-17 14:12:46

Badenkate: you are making assumptions about me. Haha you really have no idea. smile

GrandmaMoira Fri 24-Nov-17 14:18:21

I don't think sanitary products should be taxed. I agree some families with Mum and 2 or 3 teenage daughters struggle with the costs.
I also buy "Tena lady" type pads nowadays from the supermarket or pharmacy and have to pay VAT on these, which should also be VAT free.