Gransnet forums

Ear-splitting sneezing!

(118 Posts)
Witzend Mon 27-Nov-17 14:22:26

My Dh has just done it yet again - he 'voices' his sneezes so that they come out as an almighty yell - and he just did it for the millionth time, right behind me and really made me jump.

I know it's a very minor moan in the great scheme of things, but WHY does he have to do it? I've told him it's just an attention-seeking habit - I'm just surprised that his parents, who were pretty strict, never jumped on it hard.

He once did it right by a very new and tiny dd and terrified her - he felt awful, she cried so hard - but even that didn't stop him.
OK, moan over - I feel better now!

grannyqueenie Tue 28-Nov-17 11:24:23

Yes I could join this support group and also the sub group that maggiemaybe is setting up! After a humongously loud sneeze my old boy always feels the need to say “bless me, bless my dawg”, don’t ask me why, we don’t even have a dog!!

yogagran Tue 28-Nov-17 11:37:01

I'm another one married to a very noisy sneezer. I think it's done for effect and it's totally unnecessary

cornergran Tue 28-Nov-17 11:44:01

Another person for your sub group here maggie, at least he irons his own hankies. tchsmile

Rosina Tue 28-Nov-17 11:47:11

My OH has a sneeze to wake the dead. My instant reaction is rage as the noise really makes me jump, and has frightened me at times if I haven't heard him come into the room. I'm sure its not necessary - he sneezed behind DD once when she was about ten and frightened her so much that she burst into tears.

Auntieflo Tue 28-Nov-17 11:47:56

Oh how I need this group. For years DH starts to cough and splutter late summer, and it goes on for months. That I wouldn't mind so much, but he always finishes with an almighty, ear splitting sneeze. And yes, he still uses 'proper' hankies, and like cornergran, he does iron them himself.

Deannarsidley1 Tue 28-Nov-17 11:52:35

My DH not only yells his sneezes but has also kicked his leg into the air if he happens to be sitting at the same time. I have ignored himseems to be doing the trick.

Peaseblossom Tue 28-Nov-17 11:54:36

I sneeze loudly, and no I can’t help it. Always have done.

Nanna58 Tue 28-Nov-17 11:56:11

Maggiemaybe I think we share the same husband! Mine can demolish a doughnut in one but has to do that head back tablet swallow. Used to use hankies but I binned them and as he never enters a shop he was scuppered lol 😂 can I also moan about small smiles or chuckles upon passing wind as if it was an achievement!!

pollyperkins Tue 28-Nov-17 12:09:16

Oh, I thought it was just mine? I'm always complaining about his deafening sneezes which make me jump and sometimes make young children cry. He tells me he can't warn me as it happens without warning (to him) and really can't make it quieter - he fears his head would explode if he tried!!!!
But I can't agree about the handkerchiefs - he uses enormous cloth ones (he has a clean one daily) which I boil wash and iron. He thinks paper hankies are 1) inadequate - his sneezes and nose blows would rupture them!) and 2) unhygienic as he thinks I leave them all over the house (I don't) and to dispose of them properly would involve burning (we dont have an open fire.)
I can't imagine his face if I gave him paper hankies and a bag to put them in, and wiped doorhandles etc! As long as you use a hanky of some sort, and wash your hands before eating/preparing food, wiping surfaces is unnecessary in my view - a few germs are good for us (build up the immune system.)

Minerva Tue 28-Nov-17 12:18:07

I hear my neighbour when she sneezes. Sounds half like a scream . I don’t hear anything else from next door so it must be mighty loud!

LuckyFour Tue 28-Nov-17 12:23:04

My DH's sneeze is the same, completely deafening!

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Nov-17 12:57:40

But how on earth do you boil wash the hankies, pollyperkins? How long does it take you to get enough together for a wash? I know some of the older generation used to boil them up in old saucepans on the stove, but I'm afraid I'm not going there! envy Paper tissues just go straight in the bin round here (which is where DH's used hankies are going, gradually...he hasn't noticed yet grin). He used to have an awful habit of whipping out his hanky and twirling it round in a sort of flourish before honking into it. He did at least stop doing that - those death stares I gave him did have some effect!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 28-Nov-17 13:13:03

Chewbacca.The noise is nothing compared to the amount of germs that are spread from sneezing.
I am surprised no one has complained what this person is doing to you all.

blue60 Tue 28-Nov-17 13:21:24

My mother does that - usually when I'm on the phone to her!

quizqueen Tue 28-Nov-17 13:47:44

Can people control the magnitude of their sneezes; I'm not convinced they can.

Gaggi3 Tue 28-Nov-17 13:50:43

DH has a very loud sneeze and I’m sure it’s not deliberate. Also very loud sneezer is my opposite number Granny and I know she wouldn’t do it on purpose.

pamdixon Tue 28-Nov-17 14:00:01

It never occurred to me that other people did it - I nearly have a heart attack every time my OH sneezes! He tells me he has 'big lungs' when I complain about the noise?!

Diddy1 Tue 28-Nov-17 14:34:21

One more member of the support group please, mine does it. I always think it is done on purpose so I ignore it now. Another irritating things is he sucks through his teeth, an irritating noise, I dont think he realises he is doing it.

Magrithea Tue 28-Nov-17 14:40:46

Where do I sign up for the support group!!!?? I thought it was just my DH, he can sneeze quietly but delights in making a production. I think he has an allergy but he denies it. It's ironic as I used to suffer (but that seems to have improved over the years) and he and the in laws used to tease me!

Chewbacca Tue 28-Nov-17 15:13:21

We have complained sarahellenwhitney, but to no avail. angry His spreading of germs has been pointed out to him countless times but he maintains that he "can't help it". I might not be able to help throttling him.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Nov-17 15:13:22

We have complained sarahellenwhitney, but to no avail. angry His spreading of germs has been pointed out to him countless times but he maintains that he "can't help it". I might not be able to help throttling him.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Nov-17 15:15:37

Sorry, don't know what happened there.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Nov-17 15:15:37

Sorry, don't know what happened there.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Nov-17 15:17:34

Or there? grin
I love this thread!

MissAdventure Tue 28-Nov-17 15:17:34

Or there? grin
I love this thread!

Join the discussion

To post you need a valid nickname and password. Log in if you are a returning member, or join for free.

If you have forgotten your nickname or your password, you can get a reminder.