Gransnet forums

Chat

Age appropriate?

(147 Posts)
mollie Fri 12-Jan-18 12:28:45

As I flicked through some magazines today I caught myself thinking ‘everyone’ featured or pictured was at least one generation younger and wondering where magazines aimed at me were. Then I heard my mums voice in my head, raging at another poor M&S manager for not stocking stuff suitable for her (she’s been doing it for the last 20years and I have no idea what she’s looking for) and that put me in my place. The point of all this is that at 60 and 10 months I’m not sure where I fit anymore. Do you? Lots of shops and print media seem aimed at the younger market and I don’t feel ready for those that are targeting the older market. There’s a thriving chick lit market for fiction but the attempt at hen lit just disappeared. Why? Life doesn’t stop at 50 so why don’t we want to read about women of our age?

Someone once said that it’s better to make friends with the younger generation, is that how you feel? Should we pick and choose from everything on offer whether it’s aimed at a different market or do you want stuff that you think is appropriate for your age? Are you happy with things as they are or would you like the gap in the market filled?

travelsafar Fri 12-Jan-18 12:43:23

I dont know where i belong!!!!I love some of the current fashions but think i am too old to wear them.

I love some current music but also really old stuff too.

I watch a variety of programs such as FirstDtes and Dinner dates but i also love Mary Berry and Bake off.

Maybe it doesnt matter as long as you feel safe, content with life and are happy.

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Jan-18 12:57:00

What about 50Plus

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Jan-18 13:25:36

I am 60 and 6months, and finally know what my 'style' is. Consequently I have clothes from the following shops:- Top Shop, Hobbs, Boden, LK Bennett, White Company and Joules. Have totally given up on M & S and Next as the sizes are ridiculous and feel the workmanship/fabrics are inferior. Better to have several good pieces that are interchangeable than a wardrobe full of tat. Our generation of women are so lucky, we do not have to be stereotyped into tweed skirts along with twinsets and pearls, we are able to be /dress who / however we want (within our financial means of course) There are so many things to worry about that 'age appropriate' clothing shouldn't be one of them. Go out (or online) and try something new or different on, hopefully you shall be pleasantly surprised- good luck ?‍??‍?

kittylester Fri 12-Jan-18 13:33:46

I think I can wear what ever I like. Mostly jeans/trousers and tops - mostly seasalt, joules, Kettlewell, Sainsbury's, some lands end, whatever!

My mother (Mrs Bucket) once berated me for not dressing like the 'wife of a professional man'. Heaven knows what that is supposed to look like, but I was quite pleased.

ginny Fri 12-Jan-18 13:59:08

Wear what you like and feel comfortable in. Watch and listen to whatever you enjoy and are interested in.

Scribbles Fri 12-Jan-18 15:03:33

What are you looking for? A shapeless tweed overcoat, shapeless felt hat, wrinkly stockings and clumpy shoes like many of our grandmothers' generation wore? I remember my mother rebuking me because I was still wearing jeans at the age of 25 and she didn't feel they were "appropriate" for a married woman! In my late 60s now and still wearing them because I like them and feel comfortable. I wear floppy, long skirts, too, with cheesecloth tops when I'm in the mood. As others are saying, what matters is what you want to wear and feel happy in and there are plenty of good suggestions up-thread. Charity shops can be a source of inspiration, too.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 15:06:18

There is no such thing as 'age appropriate' clothing only styles we like and want to wear and those we don't. If what we want to wear is what other people want to wear then buying clothes is never a problem. If your taste in clothes is only shared by a minority, then buying clothes will be more difficult.

Like kittylester I wear jeans/trousers, also leggings and tops and sweaters. I shop for clothes in M&Co, Sainsbury, Fat Face, Next and New Look. I dress in very much the same clothes and styles as DD(45), DDiL(50) and DGD(10). I am 74.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 15:08:06

I would add that my complaint about M&S has always been that its clothes were aimed at women 20 years older than me. And looking at the demographic of shoppers and styles in my local M&S, nothing has changed.

goldengirl Fri 12-Jan-18 15:47:39

Meghan Markle seems to like M&S even if I don't - apart from their invisible pantie line knickers!

BlueBelle Fri 12-Jan-18 15:56:31

At nearly 73, I shop in a variety of places New look, peacocks, George, joe Browns and a lovely Italian stall on our market I also have a brand new River Island coat that I got for £4,50 from a charity shop
I mostly wear tunics,jumpers, leggings, jeggins and jeans (Skinny) In Summer I love cheeseclothe and tie dye
I ve never bought from M and S

carol58 Fri 12-Jan-18 16:54:46

I wear / read / watch etc whatever takes my fancy. I don't hold with 'age appropriate'. If people don't like what I'm wearing or doing, they can always look the other way. I always just please myself as long as it's not hurting anyone else.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 17:01:11

Exactly.

Envious Fri 12-Jan-18 17:19:28

I often question my own choice of clothes. I still get drawn to younger styles but I’m always careful when I buy and continue to remind myself I’m a 64 year old woman! As long as our body is appropriately covered and it pleases us does it matter? The last few years here woman have been wearing bright printed long tops with wild print leggings a brand called lularoe. It does get them noticed!

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 17:37:22

What is a 'younger style'?

mollie Fri 12-Jan-18 17:45:51

My question was about the need for age appropriate anything, not just clothes. I find that size is the deciding factor for where I shop.

Wouldn’t it be nice to read stories with older characters sometimes? Or see older models used now and then in any publication, not just Tena lady and Saga or stairlift ads? Or am I in danger of creating yet another sub-group that needs its rights recognised? Does it matter or am I thinking too much?

(Actually, I probably am and if you think so too just ignore me ... I’ll disappear into my hole soon smile)

Envious Fri 12-Jan-18 18:09:19

I think of younger styles as something different like uneven hems,new textured materials,the cold shoulders. I bought a top that is longer in the back and has a sorta gathering in the front that raises it up. I consider it a younger style.

annodomini Fri 12-Jan-18 18:12:05

I'm not bothered about 'age appropriate' books, but if you are looking for an author whose books often concern those of an older age group, try Anne Tyler.

pensionpat Fri 12-Jan-18 18:17:29

I love Ann Tyler's books.

watermeadow Fri 12-Jan-18 18:31:16

I have no interest in celebrities, pop music or TV and am not going to waste my time on them but I am interested in many other things and enjoy being with young people. Someone’s age is pretty irrelevant.

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Jan-18 18:46:37

Last week I took 11 jumpers/sweaters into the changing room in TK Maxx, all of the one size. They varied from a bit neat to somewhere near drowning me. Apart from that they all looked awful on. Though perhaps that says more about me than about M & S. Anyways, not one of the 11 items were worth a second look once I saw them on.

I have had great success with outer coats from M & S Outlet Shop. One I wore today is 4 years old and every time I wear it I get a nice comment. However, it was one of their top of the range items that was originally £200 plus and I got in in the Outlet for £25.

My style is mine own..... a bit boho.. and I have my own rules. No high neck sweaters, must be a scoop or a V, then a scarf if it's a bit cool. Must have inset sleeves to give a shape to the shoulders, no raglans or batwing (too booby for that). Must be at least below the hip and preferably mid thigh. Jeans, trousers can be straight or slim but not skinny.

My big preferance at the moment are Robell trousers, they are rather expensive at about £65/£70. Last summer I got my first pair in a sale for £35. I was so pleased that I looked for more..... but on eBay. Knowing the size etc that worked for me I picked up another two pairs in different colours for £15 and £20.

Big scarves and wraps smarten up almost anything. Nice shoes or boots take a bit of care because I can't wear heels.
Nice slouchy leather bags - off ebay at about £20. When I get tired of them after a couple of years I will resell them.

I don't think age comes into it. It's more what suits, or doesn't, what fits, or doesn't. At 68 I know what will work and what looks awful on me ..... most of the time.

Oh... and I always have a tape measure in my bag. I know what measurement from pit to pit will fit. How long it needs to be from shoulder seam to hem line. If an item doesn't measure up size wise there's no point in taking it into the fitting room.

Every few years, in the sales, I buy a 'go to item'. Last summer it was a 3 piece outfit. Soft draping trousers with a matching knee length top/dress which has a couple of nice stylish features. And a short asymetrical, slouchy, baggy, 3/4 sleeve top that sits half off one shoulder (the dress is underneath). All in a jersey fabric. The trousers and dress are caramel and the slouchy top in caramel and cream stripe. When I'm not sure what to wear that's what I 'go to'. A wedding, a lunch, a day in town, anything at all, it changes according to the accessories. i.e. a small bag, or a slouchy tote. And each separate part goes with other items that I've had for years. I paid £200 for the 3 pieces, it was reduced from over £500. I debated and hummed and haaad about the price and then went for it. That will be my 'go to' for probably the next 5 years.

It has taken me 68 years and many mistakes to learn that age doesn't matter, not one whit.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 18:55:20

I certainly don't go for the cold shoulder look because it leaves me with - cold shoulders, but if they were what I was looking for I would wear all the others.

In fact I have one of those longer back than front tops and i wear it over black trousers that I have sewn a couple of flower motifs on because I saw some trousers like that in a shop and liked the idea. DD said (approvingly) that this was very steam punk(??).

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Jan-18 18:58:22

Steam punk !! I like the sound of that smile

carol58 Fri 12-Jan-18 19:14:15

I can't say I feel the need to see older models or read stories with older characters really because at 60 I don't feel like I'm older. When do we become 'older'? Is it just a state of mind or is it to do with physical capability? I have friends many years older and many years younger than me but never think about their age and love to spend time with all of them.

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 19:21:54

I am not bothered about older models, but in ordinary advertising (not fashion clothing) I would like to see the people in them reflect society as a whole, old and young, fat and thin.

We picked up a brochure in France that displaying all the latest phones and home technology showed people of all ages and background using the technology - and older people were not shown as elderly frumps being kindly shown how things worked by a patronising youth. The very personable white haired grandfather was shown demonstrating the technology to a child.