Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you define someone as being posh?

(289 Posts)
NanKate Fri 19-Jan-18 22:18:59

This was a question posed on a local radio programme last night and was fun. Here are a couple of the suggestions, cocking your little finger whilst drinking, using a china teacup.

What are your suggestions ?

oldgoat Fri 19-Jan-18 22:27:14

Eating cake with a fork instead of your fingers.

Mamissimo Fri 19-Jan-18 22:36:33

Using a special sprung fork plunger thing to get pickled onions out of the jar

BlueBelle Fri 19-Jan-18 22:36:35

When my friends husband told me they had plates for their rolls at dinner each night now that’s posh

paddyann Fri 19-Jan-18 22:38:59

I dont ever define anyone as being POSH ,just different from me .I did go to college with a woman who said she was "middle class" because she had a washing machine and a fridge freezer ..which the rest of the class thought was hilarious ..mind you I dont believe in "class" either

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Jan-18 22:39:30

I know someone who puts her sauce (of the HP and Heinz variety) into little dishes, and always wears matching underwear. She's posh. smile

Greyduster Fri 19-Jan-18 22:40:33

Not keeping coal in the bath!

OldMeg Fri 19-Jan-18 22:41:15

I was taught it was vulgar to extend your pinkie when drinking eg from a china cup, so that’s definitely not posh!

But I never use the term posh and I don’t think it has a place in today’s society.

Sorry NanKate

petra Fri 19-Jan-18 22:54:54

I can't believe that anyone actually uses the word posh anymore.
Most of the things mentioned are just common sense or personal taste.
Your little finger automatically points up when drinking from a small China cup.
I always use a fork for cake. I hate sticky fingers.
If you do eat rolls with your dinner, where else are you going to put the roll, on the table?
Who puts bottles of sauce on the table?

petra Fri 19-Jan-18 22:58:59

Mamissimo
Have you ever seen a 'posh' person eat a pickled onion?

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 23:06:13

petra is posh
wink

Actually, drinking from a small china cup is posh, we have mugs (china of course).

Using starched napkins instead of paper ones
Having a 'library' and not just a bookshelf or even a study
Having a 'woman who does' (instead of doing your own cleaning, unless you are unable to do it, of course). And she has to be called 'a woman who does', not 'the cleaner'.

Try the quiz:
[[http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/11396961/How-posh-are-you.html][]

Apparently, I am an out and out 'U'! grin

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 23:07:07

sorry, try again, I should have got the manservant to do the link for me:

www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/11396961/How-posh-are-you.html

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 23:07:54

Oh, and like some friends of ours - having a 'morning room'.

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Jan-18 23:13:47

My mum always had wanted to give the appearance of being posh but never quite managed it.
What words you call your meals with regard to time of day is a good one.
At the middle of the day do you have "dinner" or "lunch" or in the evening "supper" instead of "tea." Pudding or dessert etc.

janeainsworth Fri 19-Jan-18 23:14:15

I agree with you old meg that the term has no place in today’s society. It’s usually used as an insult, a manifestation of the inverse snobbery which is just as bad as the ordinary kind.
That’s from a self-confessed matching-bra-and-knickers woman.

BlueBelle Fri 19-Jan-18 23:15:41

Well I wouldn’t eat a roll with my dinner and if I did I d put it on the side of my plate why dirty another one ha and of course you put sauce bottles on the table where else... the floor?

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 23:18:09

Well, according to the quiz is if you call the lav the loo or say pudding instead of dessert.

I grew up thinking that 'dessert' was posh and pudding was apple crumble and custard that your Mum made on Sundays, but apparently it's the other way round.

If I had an Aga I would probably be even posher grin

MawBroon Fri 19-Jan-18 23:20:03

Lunch or dinner, tea or supper, toilet or lavatory, lounge or drawing room whether it or not you use the word “posh”
It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him," wrote George Bernard Shaw

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Jan-18 23:34:09

Who puts bottles of sauce on the table? Me!

I haven't done the quiz yet, but I do say loo and pudding. Though one of my in-laws told my great niece off for saying loo and said it was ever so common. Then she asked where she'd heard it..... blush

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Jan-18 23:39:06

Oh, apparently I'm and out and out U as well (even though I had to look that up to check it was good, not bad, and I still haven't a clue what the first question meant). Good job sauce bottles didn't come into it.

paddyann Fri 19-Jan-18 23:41:23

I dont like snobs ,of any variety .Book snobs who only own up to reading serious literature or biographies,wine snobs who dismiss supermarket wine as rubbish,people who look down their noses at council housing estates .I used to be friendly with a couple who slated a previous dinner guest for bringing Lambrusco to a dinner party ...reverse snobbery is just as bad though mawbroon I hate "lounge" instead of living room though I think thats just what I grew up calling it

SpringyChicken Fri 19-Jan-18 23:41:55

Posh is having napkin rings (and using them).

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Jan-18 23:44:21

I've always said front room. Not sure why, as we haven't a back one.

SpringyChicken Fri 19-Jan-18 23:47:46

We say sitting room.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 23:49:42

Front room for me. The alternative here in Essex is 'laange' shock