Gransnet forums

Chat

Shampoo bottles

(37 Posts)
Auntieflo Sun 18-Feb-18 22:35:25

With all the focus on plastic packaging these days, can anyone remember what shampoo was packaged in before plastic bottles? For the life if me I can't remember. I can recall my parents bathroom, very 1930's black and white tiles, the bars if soap, freezing cold in winter etc, etc, but shampoo bottles, nothing. Surely they weren't in glass?

Marydoll Sun 18-Feb-18 22:46:23

My. mother use to buy sachets of shampoo.

Cold Sun 18-Feb-18 22:57:08

I think you did get shampoo in glass bottles. I think some people used to wash their hair with bars of soap.

All of my shampoo bottles go in the recycling. I think the problem is that plastic recycling has been slower to take off - 47% of plastic packaging is recycled compared to 93% of glass.

Farmor15 Sun 18-Feb-18 23:03:12

My mother used to wash my hair with Quix - a brand of washing up liquid in plastic bottles! I think there were sachets of shampoo occasionally as a treat. Bars of soap were also used, as Cold says.

Farmor15 Sun 18-Feb-18 23:04:56

Hair only got washed once a week, or less, so less shampoo/soap used anyway.

Synonymous Sun 18-Feb-18 23:53:43

I remember glass bottles and occasionally we had sachets. We all had our hair washed on Friday night and I still don't wash my hair more than once a week and sometimes not as often as that. I was talking to my hairdresser about this last week and she said that most people wash their hair too often and more than is good for it, As we age we make less sebum and consequently there is less need to wash it which also reduces the need for conditioner to replace the good oils in our hair which naturally keep it better and looking nicer too.

MesMopTop Mon 19-Feb-18 07:09:04

Anyone remember the shampoo that came in a little plastic tub like container? Think it was called Linco-beer or some suchlike. Also remember closeness in a sachet and there was another similar type of shampoo but for the life of me, I can’t remember its name.

Larissa67 Mon 19-Feb-18 07:26:30

Sunsilk?? I can still remember the lovely smell. There was a 'beer ' barrel shampoo, as some people believed stale (!!!) beer was a good setting lotion and gave body to hair.

OldMeg Mon 19-Feb-18 07:43:44

Shampoo was in glass bottles, but I think we were more careful because of the obvious danger of breakage.

grannyqueenie Mon 19-Feb-18 07:47:45

I seem to remember (circa 1969) Vaseline shampoo in a sachet, but am thinking it was a powder to be mixed with water?

shysal Mon 19-Feb-18 08:04:39

Yes, grannyqueenie, we used the powdered Vaseline shampoo in a paper sachet. I think it had green stripes.

tanith Mon 19-Feb-18 08:12:08

I remember being sent to the shop for satchets of Drene shampoo it was bright orange and smelt awful. We used soap if Mum was short of money.

vampirequeen Mon 19-Feb-18 08:16:32

I can't remember a time that shampoo didn't come in plastic bottles. I've had the same advice as Synonymous from my hairdressers. I have problems with eczema and since I've stopped washing my hair every day my scalp is much better. At first my hair looked awful but gradually it's got used to it and now produced less grease as it's not having to replace the moisture every day. It's taken a while but now my hair can go for four days before it needs washing.

Culag Mon 19-Feb-18 08:18:35

We always had a plastic beaker, put a tiny bit of shampoo in the bottom and added some water. Never used it straight from the bottle. It was fine. I think we use too much these days.

Auntieflo Mon 19-Feb-18 08:49:56

I woke up this morning, thinking, sachets! Also remember the little barrels of Lin Co Lin ? beer shampoo. Some of the names mentioned bring back memories, but I can't recall the packaging.

harrigran Mon 19-Feb-18 09:08:47

One sachet of white rain shampoo washed the hair of all the family, mother put a small amount in a cup and added warm water to dilute and repeated for each child.

Willow500 Mon 19-Feb-18 09:46:58

I remember the beer barrel shampoo too and also the first conditioner which came in a sachet and smelled lovely - I think you then got it with one of the hair colours but not seen it for years. I don't remember a time when shampoo didn't come in plastic bottles either - or washing up liquid - which occasionally was used for hair if shampoo had run out grin

BlueBelle Mon 19-Feb-18 09:53:31

You can buy bar shampoos now ( hope this link works)
www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/friendly-soap/friendly-soap-natural-shampoo-bar---lavender---tea-tree---95g/?PCode=DSGPESS15&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIibfLsNqx2QIV7ZTtCh0lRg7IEAQYAiABEgKUCvD_BwE

Grandma70s Mon 19-Feb-18 10:07:20

Sunsilk! Drene! Those names bring back memories.

At one stage in my teens (1950s) I used a mixture of green soft soap and eau de cologne. I remember sachets in the 1950s, too. There was a lovely yellow one called something like Lemon Creme.

Daddima Mon 19-Feb-18 10:18:48

Palmolive also made shampoo which was on a kind of paper leaf you hooked over your finger and added water.

AlieOxon Mon 19-Feb-18 10:26:36

I remember Sunsilk in my teens - but a sachet of that was special!

As for now - WHY does Vosene come in stupid bottles you can't grip when your hands are wet, and you can't stand them with the top UP?

And - WHY, in the supermarket, are the brand names all twice as big as the name 'shampoo' or 'conditioner' so that I wander along the shelves having to peer closely at all the bottles???
and all the tops are difficult to open.....

tanith Mon 19-Feb-18 10:31:12

I'm with you AlieOxon the times I've bought shampoo instead of conditioner.

Welshwife Mon 19-Feb-18 11:17:20

My mother always gave our hair a vinegar rinse - put a drop of vinegar in a jug with warm water - and then we had a clear water rinse afterwards.
Before washing up liquid I can remember my grandmother using washing powder in the washing up bowl and if she had a stubborn stain the bar of Sunlight came out!

Daddima Mon 19-Feb-18 11:19:36

Oh, and we also had the Derbac soap, to protect against beasties!

eazybee Mon 19-Feb-18 11:46:59

Shampoo (Silvikrin) came in glass bottles or tiny individual sachets. But what did we wash our hair with before shampoo was invented? I can remember Fairy liquid arriving for washing-up; I think we (my mother) used washing soda before that.