Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you checked the long term weather forecast?

(112 Posts)
Bbnan Wed 21-Feb-18 08:39:55

It seems that the British Isles is heading into some very nasty weather. As of Sunday 25th February. Siberian winds will cross Europe and we could have a prolonged very cold spell for about 2 weeks.Snow is a very high possibility but it could be localised. Although a way off best to check and be prepared. Stock up on food and fuel and check your local weather for the next few days.

mollie Wed 21-Feb-18 08:41:58

Thanks for the warning Bbnan but as the daily forecast is rarely accurate I think I’m less inclined to worry about long term predictions.

whitewave Wed 21-Feb-18 08:46:43

IT is bloomin’ cold out there this morning. Glorious sun but a biting wind.

We haven’t had any snow yet this year so I doubt we will have any if it’s coming from the east as we are sheltered by the South Downs.

travelsafar Wed 21-Feb-18 08:54:03

I saw this too, lets hope they have got it wrong. The birds are investigating my nest boxes, gathering bits from the garden for nest making, plus my tete a tete daffodil buds are just about to burst open and many other bulbs are showing signs of getting ready to bloom.I would hate to loose them now.

merlotgran Wed 21-Feb-18 10:15:28

Our rather long drive needs resurfacing so DH, in his DHness, has just ordered two tons of gravel to be delivered either today or tomorrow. hmm

Thank goodness it'll be in bags because I think we're going to be admiring it from afar (the warm kitchen) for a while.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Feb-18 10:20:23

I read that temperatures here could be as low as -7 by the weekend!

Nannylovesshopping Wed 21-Feb-18 11:07:46

merlotgran I loved DH in his DHness ?

Auntieflo Wed 21-Feb-18 14:55:48

Merlotgran, at least all that shovelling will keep you warm smile

OurKid1 Wed 21-Feb-18 15:08:10

Time to tuck my vest into my pants then (as my mum used to say - she had a thing about keeping your kidney's warm!)

Nanah67 Thu 22-Feb-18 08:20:15

Looks like we are going to have our winter next week.Those Siberian winds could bring anything. Time to batten down the hatches.

cavewoman Thu 22-Feb-18 08:45:06

They are calling it "The beast from the East" !
Winter drawers on then smile

Blinko Thu 22-Feb-18 08:57:10

I hope someone's working on developing a satellite that will enable us to 'mange' the blasted Jetstream? Grr....

Nanah67 Fri 23-Feb-18 09:53:48

The forecast now seems definite.....the beast from the east is heading our way. Significant snow and biting winds from Russia. Stay safe and stock up on essentials.

Bellanonna Fri 23-Feb-18 09:59:49

outKid1 you made me laugh aloud. My mother had a thing about keeping the kidneys warm.
I really felt that biting wind yesterday, so I had two lovely thermal vests on under my polo jumper. I think I’ll keep this up for a while. I agree about stocking up, and thanks for the warning.

Bbnan Fri 23-Feb-18 11:24:25

Yellow weather warning now from bbc so it’s definitely on its way. Could be on par with 1947 1963 1982 and 2010. I am a keen follower of the weather forums and many posters are getting very excited about this beast from the east. Time to stock up and don’t forget to feed the birds. Be wise to check your local forecast and like a good girl guide be prepared!

BBbevan Fri 23-Feb-18 11:31:03

Not to bad here but we are on the coast. Went to DDs this morning and as it is higher up there was a biting wind. We are in the west and I believe the east is going to be hardest hit. Hope it isn't too bad for you all

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:43:24

Sunny but cold here, we aren’t due to get any snow until next Thursday, we shall see. However vests will be tucked into knickers, shirts into trousers and socks also into trousers, scarf on along with mittens, and if I go outdoors I shall wear a coat!wink

Nelliemoser Fri 23-Feb-18 11:58:18

This weather event has been on the cards for a while now. You cannot really say the forecasters have got it wrong.

Weather systems themselves are technically chaotic and there is B all we can do about that. Prepare for whatever.
Us Brits should be used to our very changeable weather by now.
Be glad we are not in Hurricane or Tornado zones, or in places with long droughts etc. Get your warm woollies out in case.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Feb-18 12:04:28

Its pretty parky out there already!

Nelliemoser Fri 23-Feb-18 12:05:42

Bbnan I am also a weather watcher. I blame a primary school teacher wink who set up a weather station and taught us lots about clouds etc. It has all stuck with me.

Bbnan Fri 23-Feb-18 12:22:47

Yes Nelliemoser this is where I started from...the modals are showing this up as an epic event..of course they could be wrong but all posters on weather forum seem to agree...it’s a super vortex and we do not see many of them.

GillT57 Fri 23-Feb-18 12:49:03

vests on here, and about to pop out and get some comfort food in. Maybe bake a cake at the weekend. Must get more fat balls for the birds too, they love them!

Kittye Fri 23-Feb-18 13:02:54

Oh no ! We're off on a cruise up the North Sea to Norway in two weeks, I hope it settles down before then ?

Blinko Fri 23-Feb-18 14:26:26

00ps, manage' not mange..sorry.

Fennel Fri 23-Feb-18 15:39:30

I've been checking the forecast for the last few weeks.
Husband is driving from France to England on Sunday and Monday, so I'm praying for a safe journey for him.