Gransnet forums

Chat

Hair salon disaster!

(68 Posts)
Azie09 Fri 16-Mar-18 13:23:41

I've just come back from the hairdressers quite upset, partly because the young woman got rather sassy because I didn't understand what 'tin foil, half head' meant and partly because I look stupid - grey hair with red stripes like a human zebra!
I bought some Head and Shoulders which is, I know, a clarifying shampoo and I washed my hair four times so it looks a little better but not much. Any suggestions anyone? Can I put some colour over the top myself from a bought pack? I'm really upset and about to cut it all off with the kitchen scissors!

hildajenniJ Fri 16-Mar-18 13:39:31

I had no idea what a tin foil half head was, so I looked it up. The highlights described sound nothing like the stripes you have come away with. I think the young woman doing your hair needs more training if she was annoyed about having to explain the process. If I were you, I'd go back to the hairdresser's, see the manager and complain, then ask what she is going o do about it. If you don't get satisfaction, then I would go somewhere else.

tanith Fri 16-Mar-18 13:49:26

Doesn't sound acceptable to me either, I'm wondering what you actually went in and asked for?

Azie09 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:05:57

When I was last having my hair cut, so about six weeks ago, I asked about having my hair coloured. The hairdresser showed me a kind of catalogue with samples of coloured hair in it and we talked about the colours that might suit. I used to be red haired and now it's grey on top but shading naturally to a kind of light blonde/copper all over.

She insisted today that she had used the term 'tin foil, half head' and challenged me as 'not having remembered that we had had the conversation'. She's cut my hair just a couple of times and I have found her a bit sulky and difficult but today took the biscuit.

I'm afraid at the end, I said that I found the way I had been spoken to unacceptable, I said why and that I wouldn't be returning so a bit difficult to go back now. I didn't really see how shocking it looked until I got home!

midgey Fri 16-Mar-18 14:09:24

What a nightmare, I hate hairdressers they have such power over us!

Luckygirl Fri 16-Mar-18 14:09:48

This is why my hair is long, with the occasional fringe trim by me. I can't stand hairdressers!!! Good luck with your new hairdo - I hope you find a way to tame it down a bit.

My DD had striped hair in her teens - it looked great!

silverlining48 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:14:18

I think you might ask a friend or neighbour fir their opi ion and unless they say you look great and you change your mind then ring and speak with the manager and explain how upset you aRe. They shoukd offer to redo at no extra cost. My daughter did this recently as her red colour was too muted and she had asked fir something really obvious.
Be careful of putting another colour on top because it could make things much worse.

Azie09 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:37:46

Thanks for the suggestions. My daughter just came home and is appalled by my hair, she says it looks terrible, it isn't coloured to the roots and it looks patchy as though it hasn't been done properly. I'll have to gird my loins I guess and make the phone call, then I'm never going to a hair dresser again, I hate them! grin

Gerispringer Fri 16-Mar-18 14:42:27

Perhaps you could find another hairdresser who is recommended ( have you a friend who always has good hair cuts ?) and go to them for a second opinion / colour damage limitation. A good hairdresser can really boost the morale ( and vice versa)

Farmor15 Fri 16-Mar-18 15:02:48

I get those kind of coloured highlights in my grey hair now and then - sometimes reddish and sometimes a kind of plum colour. It’s always the same girl and we discuss the colour and how much of my head to do. The colour is down to the roots and doesn’t look patchy, but when it’s first done it looks quite bright. It fades gradually.
Azie - is this hairdresser in a bigger salon with others or does she work on her own? If she works in a bigger salon you could ask to speak to manager. Could your daughter go back with you and discuss what could be done? I wouldn’t try any home dyeing to correct it as might make it worse.
Hairdressers, or anyone dealing with customers shouldn’t make you feel inadequate because you don’t understand their jargon. Hope you can get it sorted and enjoy a new look that you’re comfortable with.

OldMeg Fri 16-Mar-18 15:10:36

Get back to the salon, ask to speak to the most senior person there and tell them you’re not happy.

Gymstagran Fri 16-Mar-18 15:24:39

Hi azie I was chatting to my hairdresser this week about hair disasters. He often has people coming in to put their hair right colour wise. His view is that the original hairdresser should offer to do this if it goes wrong. However, if you can't trust them to do this then I think previous posters are corectly suggesting you go and get your money back,ask around who has a good hairdresser then ask them for a colour correction. I'm afraid if you try yourself it will only make it worse. Good luck and be strong.

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 16-Mar-18 15:25:02

I have half head with foils, last time I had a full head. It s fine because I know what they mean and I’ve had it done loads of times.
Take a photo and email it to the manager of the salon if you don’t want to go there, and then tell them that they have to redo it.
In future best not to have anything done that you don’t understand and if the hairdresser is stroppy then refuse to have her do your hair. You are the client, you have to say what you want. BTW it will calm down colour wise after a few days, but the stripes will have to be done by a technician.

chelseababy Fri 16-Mar-18 16:11:06

If all else fails you could use Colour B4 hair colour stripper. But I agree that the salon should put it right.

jenpax Fri 16-Mar-18 16:26:30

If it’s possible why not go back with your daughter or a friend for moral support? ask to see the manager and explain why you aren’t happy and what you would like to put it right! I understand that confrontation like this can be stressful and that’s why taking a supporter may help. Good luck

Azie09 Fri 16-Mar-18 17:14:35

I hope I am occasionally as helpful as you all are, thank you! My husband is now home and says he'll come back to the salon with me tomorrow so I shall have a supporter. Hurrah.

BlueBelle Fri 16-Mar-18 18:04:21

Gosh what a nightmare glad you ve got back up
is the hairdresser the owner or part of a bigger salon ? I hope you at least get you’re money back then go somewhere else to get it put right
Poor you there’s nothing worse than having a bad cut or in your case a bad colour I ve never had my hair coloured but have had some bad cuts in the past

Let us know how it all goes

Farmor15 Fri 16-Mar-18 18:21:58

Please let know how you get on tomorrow. smile

cornergran Fri 16-Mar-18 18:29:10

Good luck azie, I had a colour disaster many years back and it floored me. I wonder, would it be easier if you pnoned in the morning to speak with the manager, explain and ask to see her/him in a quiet or if possible private space. Well done for keeping going with this, just keep reminding yourself none of this is your fault.

hildajenniJ Fri 16-Mar-18 20:38:30

Please go tomorrow, and let us know how you get on. I do hope it can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Aepgirl Sat 17-Mar-18 09:25:19

I really think you should go back to the hairdresser, perhaps your daughter could go with you, and stand your ground. It sounds that it was not done well and you shouldn't have to pay for it, or pay for it to be put right. Make sure other people avoid this salon too.

Jane10 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:37:28

I'm glad you're going back. I bet the presence of DH will concentrate their minds. It's Saturday too so they'll be busy and will want to seem cooperative and helpful.
I have a half head with foils too. I have highlights and lowlights added. Last time a trainee did the foils but I wasn't happy with the big chunks she put it. The stylist fixed it immediately. I think she could see that it wasn't right.
I bet your hairdresser has many customers who are unhappy at her attitude. The manager might be interested to hear your complaint?
Good luck and tell us how you get on.

longpinknails Sat 17-Mar-18 09:39:03

Hi, washing your hair four times in Head and shoulders would have made the colour worse and patchy, so be prepared for her to argue further about what you’ve done to it since getting home.
I would approach it more from the fact that she should never have put red lowlights ( or stripes)in grey hair and you put your faith in her that she knew what she was doing.

Mary59nana Sat 17-Mar-18 09:43:00

I’m so glad your going back to the salon if only to get it done again with a more experienced stylist.
Secondly to make it known you are not happy with the attitude you received and maybe you are not the only one to be treated this way
The stylist sound to me to need more training on hair colouring and customer service

Good luck for today I hope you walk out of there with lovely new hair and confidence to say I did it

Rocknroll5me Sat 17-Mar-18 09:51:52

For the sake of those who don’t have a husband to take along I would just get a non permanent colour- there are some brilliant greys now silver blondes and graphites and do it yourself and never go back and tell as many people as you can preferably tweet complaints so that others don’t have to suffer.
After decades of colouring my hair myself I splashed out on a salon colour (over £100) at Sassoons the day before my only sons wedding. It was a disaster. A disgusting pinky beige. I had to quickly re-do it myself that night I was furious. I wouldn’t trust any of them the risk is too great and there are such f@bulous products out there now. Just go to a large Superdrug and make your choice for under a tenner. It’s really not hard and not at all risky.