Gransnet forums

Chat

Where are your family living?

(80 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 20-Apr-18 11:22:36

I noticed on the driving thread that many of us drive long distances to visit family and it got me wondering what sort of 'spread' our families have. I have children in Devon, Dorset, Cheshire and New Zealand. My close family live in Devon, Warwickshire, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, America and Australia.

Teetime Fri 20-Apr-18 11:27:53

We live in the East Midlands - DD1- Ipswich, DD2 Cheshire, Sister Colchester, Brother Dorset, BIL1 Herts, BIL2 Lincolnshire. That's it!

hildajenniJ Fri 20-Apr-18 11:29:44

My children both live close by. DD and family moved 5 minutes up the road last summer. My DS lives 5 miles away. My sisters are both close by too, it takes about an hour by car to reach the furthest away. I have wider family all over Britain and also in New Zealand and South Africa.

kittylester Fri 20-Apr-18 11:42:30

We have DS1 about 3 miles away, DS2 in the next village, DD1 is 20 miles away, DD2 is 100 miles away and DD3 about 15 miles. Both my brothers are within 30 minutes drive but DH has one 2 hours drive away, one in Thailand and one in South Africa. My grandchildren have grandparents in Zimbabwe and Cyprus

glammanana Fri 20-Apr-18 11:52:13

My three children all live within 20mins of us here on The Wirral.

Gagagran Fri 20-Apr-18 11:52:58

Our DS is 100 miles away via A3 and the dreaded M25, DD is 1 mile away in next village and my three remaining siblings (2 brothers and 1 sister) and numerous nephews and nieces are in the Isle of Man. Even though we are a Yorkshire family there are no close relatives there any more. DH has no relatives left other than the ones he has with me.

SueDonim Fri 20-Apr-18 12:03:29

I'm in rural N Scotland, my two dds and my mother are within 100 miles.

Ds1 is in America, ds2 London.

My siblings and dh's are scattered round the south of England.

We don't have any wider family than that. I have no cousins and dh's single cousin went AWOL years ago.

Granny23 Fri 20-Apr-18 12:21:37

My 2 DDs + DGC live in neighbouring small towns, having deliberately moved there from the City to be near us before the babies arrived. My only sister and nephew live in other villages close by. The only cousins we keep up with all live in a village in the Cairngorms. A day visit, up and down, is exhausting so we usually stay over for a few days, in Spring and again in the Autumn. They come down and stay for Weddings, etc.

I count myself extremely lucky to have close family close by and relatives to visit in such a lovely part of Scotland.

Panache Fri 20-Apr-18 12:28:18

You are all fortunate in having families although I fully appreciate the fact that some live such distances away,but the main thing is "when push comes to shove" as the old saying goes........they are there for you,and you for them.

We have no family and believe you me it is not the nicest place to be.
Mind you there was quite a distance between my family background.......West Wales and my husbands.......in mid Scotland ...........whilst his relatives hailed from Holland and Lithuania.
Mine only got as far as the big metrapolis......London!

NonnaW Fri 20-Apr-18 12:42:14

We live in Suffolk and my 3 sons are in Devon, Basingstoke and Portsmouth. DH’s 3 children are in Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire. My sisters are in Essex and my brother in West Midlands.

Anniebach Fri 20-Apr-18 12:45:31

I am in Mid Wales, my younger daughter lives in Lincolnshire . My son in law who isn't and my son in law live in same town, brother 10 miles from me. 3 sisters in same town but no contact .

Charleygirl Fri 20-Apr-18 13:23:49

I have no family in England or Scotland- the few cousins I have are in southern Ireland and I doubt if I will ever see them again.

GrandmaMoira Fri 20-Apr-18 13:32:28

Two sons and DGC are within 5 miles of me. One DS recently moved 50 miles away and my brother is around 30 miles, with two of his DC near me.
I grew up with grandparents and extended family a few hundred miles away but none of us have moved far.

ninathenana Fri 20-Apr-18 13:46:58

DD has lived in Germany, Surrey, Scotland and the other side of Kent, she is currently living about 20 miles away. DS has never left home.
My brother lives in Hampshire but has lived in South Africa, Scotland and Yorkshire. All DH's remaining family live in and around London.

ninathenana Fri 20-Apr-18 13:48:13

Forgot, DGSx2 live in Linconshire with their father.

JackyB Fri 20-Apr-18 13:55:05

My mother and sister are in Cambridgeshire. I am in Southern Germany, one DS 3 hrs drive away, another in California and the third in Berlin.

cornishclio Fri 20-Apr-18 14:10:54

We live in Cornwall and DD2 lives in same town with her family. DD1 also lives in the South West in another town about 2 hours away. All my close family live in and around London. DHs are scattered between London and the South East and the Midlands. None overseas.

HAZBEEN Fri 20-Apr-18 14:30:52

We live in Surrey, DD & DGS live in County Durham as does my mother, brother and his family. OHs mother and sister in Berkshire and his brothers are in Surrey, London and Spain. We used to live in Spain but came back to the UK nearly 9 years ago.

tanith Fri 20-Apr-18 14:41:27

I'm in London, daughters are 10 mins walk and 10 mins drive. 7 grown up GC live within 15 mins 1 GD lives near the New Forest with 2 HTC. My son lives in Gibraltar with a GS and GD so I am lucky to have the majority close by.

tanith Fri 20-Apr-18 14:42:43

That should read 2 GGS.

Mamissimo Fri 20-Apr-18 15:37:38

We’re in Hampshire, DD=1 in East Grinstead, other DD=1 in Herne Bay - they’re identical twins ?? and DS is upstairs. We all see each other a couple of times a month, but the one upstairs always seems to be around at mealtimes. ?

TwiceAsNice Fri 20-Apr-18 15:45:19

I was originally 150 miles away from DD's but last year moved to the same town in Surrey and now live in the next street from them. They live literally next door to each other so I see them most days instead of every few weeks as before.

I have one brother still living in Wales but we are currently not in contact, not my choice but he's always left a long time between contact unless I initiated it and after he failed to support me when I was going through a difficult time a few years ago I've given up.

Greyduster Fri 20-Apr-18 16:30:38

DD lives twenty minutes drive from us, as do several of my nephews and nieces, and DS is an hour and a quarter up the motorway. DH’s family all live in South Wales, and we try to get to see them at least once a year. I have one cousin with whom I maintain contact, who has lived in Donegal for so long he now more Irish than the Irish ?!

callgirl1 Fri 20-Apr-18 17:57:07

My children all live in and around Boston, the furthest away is 7 miles. My own family and my husband`s, are in S.Yorkshire and Gtr. Manchester.

ginny Fri 20-Apr-18 18:11:44

DD1 and family are 20 minutes drive away. DD 2 and DD3 and family 10 minutes drive the other direction. Brother and family all about an hour away. MIL 20 minutes drive.
Lucky to have them all close. Various aunts and cousins scattered around but mainly south of Northamptonshire down to the South coast.