Gransnet forums

Chat

Packing for my holiday

(18 Posts)
overthehill Fri 18-May-18 19:16:00

Nevermind the Royal Wedding we're off to Spain for a week.

All the bits and pieces we take eg: vitamins,first aid kit, kettle, toiletries etc. take up more time to get togethet than the actual clothes.

It's taken most part of the day to pack. I do pack DHs stuff to.

We have a caravan and I suppose because I'm used to it find getting ready with the van much easier.

Still all worth it.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 18-May-18 19:42:30

Hope you have lovely hols???

overthehill Fri 18-May-18 19:46:38

Thank you Nanny

Pinny4 Fri 18-May-18 19:51:45

Have a great time Overthehill. I hope you packed some of your things in the same case as his and vice versa of course lest a case gets lost or delayed in transit. I did that for many years and nothing ever went astray of course - so it does work. wink
I found the packing very hard work but such a worthwhile job. {grin]
Bon voyage!

Sunlover Fri 18-May-18 22:55:42

I'm also off to Spain next week. Going with my DD to help babysit whilst they attend a wedding. Watching her try to sort out packing makes me wonder how we ever got away on holiday when we had 4 children!! My grandson is only 3 months and she seems to need to take everything but the kitchen sink. My hand luggage is filled with a breast pump and her shoes for the wedding. Good job I don't need many clothes!!

phoenix Fri 18-May-18 23:16:04

overthehill bit confuddled here! Are you going to Spain with your caravan? If not, why on earth are you taking a kettle? confused

overthehill Sat 19-May-18 07:59:18

Hi Phoenix we're not taking the van we're actually going all the way by rail and the hotels we're staying at don't have tea making facilities ? so having to take travel kettle.
Pinny good advice re. clothes but in our case (excuse the pun) our cases are with us all the way

annep Mon 21-May-18 06:19:23

I hope you're enjoying your holiday. And yes packing is such a bore. I always just tell myself there are shops if you forget anything. just remember glasses credit card and phone. and pills!

harrigran Mon 21-May-18 09:25:17

Carrying a kettle in your luggage confused
I usually just buy what I need when I arrive, I have provided electric kettles for hundreds of French villas grin

DanniRae Tue 22-May-18 08:58:55

We always used to take a travel kettle on our Spanish holidays but most hotels now provide one. (Take my own tea bags still). However I am now going to take a look at this years hotel (in Ibiza - 9 weeks to go!) to make sure we have one this year smile. Have a great time overthehill

annodomini Tue 22-May-18 09:36:31

One year. I thought it was a good idea to pack straight from the ironing board into the suitcase; and ended up with eleven tops/tees, for a week in Majorca. In the days when I used to take a travel kettle, I saved space by packing my socks and/or knickers in it.

sodapop Tue 22-May-18 10:18:37

I'm getting ready for a short holiday too. Most of my time is being spent collecting together all the stuff my three dogs and one cat will need for their stay at the kennels. Passports, food, blankets, medication, and so it goes on. I'll just throw some jeans and tops in the case.

Blondiescot Tue 22-May-18 11:42:45

We're off to Turkey in a week, but we only travel with hand luggage these days. It makes life so much easier - just chuck a few things in our cabin bags the day beforehand. No faffing about!

DanniRae Tue 22-May-18 14:08:06

Oh Blondiescot.........if only I could do that too!! shock

Floradora9 Tue 22-May-18 15:18:02

I bought a set of bags so one for underwear , one for chargers Etc.. It works a treat.

overthehill Tue 22-May-18 17:48:02

Blondiescot how do you do that ? try as I might I can't manage on a few bits. We're here now enjoying the sunshine in a lovely place called Peniscola.

petra Tue 22-May-18 19:37:58

Like Harrigan I've distributed kettles and cups tea bags and coffee all around Europe.
Only ever have a carry on bag and always look good.
My next packing 'challenge' will be next month when we will be bringing a boat back from the French canals to Essex. Should take about 3 weeks.

Jalima1108 Tue 22-May-18 20:09:14

If not, why on earth are you taking a kettle?
We haven't been to Spain for a while but did find that the hotels did not have any tea making facilities, so I always took one.