Gransnet forums

Chat

Those royals wasting money again

(269 Posts)
gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 21:48:55

Sorry to those royal worshipers but Eddie has apparently just paid (well technically he paid nothing) £37,000 to fly 130 mile in a private jet from Poole to Tamworth when the train would have cost a mere fraction (first class of course) .

I know his time is more precious than most other people’s time, okay so he’s got a wife and family to get home to and an elderly mum needing his care...... but really ?

M0nica Tue 12-Jun-18 21:58:16

If he paid for it himself, what does it matter? How people spend their money is their own business.

I haven't looked but is there a train direct from Poole to Tamworth? I think it unlikely and if there are I would think they would be few and far between. The alternative would be a succession of trains, with long waits for connections. Would it have fitted with the times of his 2 engagements. How did he go from home to Poole and Tamworth to home.

Just plucking odd facts and posting them without proper backup information is not very convenient.

When DH was working. He and colleagues were told off for not using a private plane to get somewhere that was time critical because they boggled at the cost.

I am entirely neutral on the royal family v president issue.

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 22:02:16

Did he pay for it himself though? hmm

...and he doesn’t “work” M0nica He plays at it.

merlotgran Tue 12-Jun-18 22:10:20

I admit to a WTF moment when I read the article. It will be interesting to see if they come up with a valid reason for the expense.

I'm a monarchist but that doesn't mean my eyebrows are incapable of an upward movement where the money is concerned.

M0nica Tue 12-Jun-18 22:33:49

Whatever it was, have you sorted out, how else he would have done the journey? You said that he should have travelled by train. Was that possible? How long would it have taken? What was he doing in Poole and Tamworth? How much time was there between engagements?

Anyone can find something to get enraged about, where a group of people we do not like are involved, but you need the evidence to prove that your complaint is justified.

OldMeg Tue 12-Jun-18 22:35:43

Poole to Tamworth about 4 and a half hours and two changes, so three trains altogether.

OldMeg Tue 12-Jun-18 22:37:35

Does he travel alone or do body guards tag along?

Might not get a seat and he’d have to sit on the floor (with his body guards).

merlotgran Tue 12-Jun-18 22:39:52

What's wrong with a car?

If there wasn't time then the diary secretary needs sacking.

Grandma70s Wed 13-Jun-18 06:24:52

I may have missed something, but i don't see any references or evidence here. Where did you read this? Is it a reliable source? How do you know who paid for it?

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 07:31:09

I ask myself.... if DH had to travel from A to B a journey of some 130 miles (as he often does at very short notice) would I......? (as his PA grin )

A) book him a train?
Probably not as he carries loads of equipment with him.

B) book him a private plane?
At the cost of £39,000 most definitely not.

B) tell him to drive there.
Yes, the right answer.

It’s different when money is no object and you’re not paying though isn’t it?

MawBroon Wed 13-Jun-18 07:35:31

Well I think it’s appalling. Everybody knows that National Express run perfectly adequate coaches. And as for riding in open carriages in London when the number 37 bus goes right past Buck House - scandalous.
It’s not as if the Head of State of any other country travels by limo or any special sort of plane (Air Force 1 for example, is a scheduled airline surely?)
I think we should moan about the posh frocks and big hats the women wear too, what’s wrong with Primark?

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 07:44:05

He could have got “his man”to drive there in just over a couple of hours Maw but hey what’s a cool £30k + when it isn’t coming out of your bank?

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 07:44:35

There are flats not far from me worth less !

Grandma70s Wed 13-Jun-18 07:54:40

Still no references, evidence or sources. No-one has answered my questions.

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 07:57:48

I’m trying to copy a link for you Grandma70s

Can’t seem to copy it over though. Will have another go .

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 08:00:49

It won’t copy on this stupid iPad, but it’s front page in the Daily Mail. (If you can bear to look at the Daily Mail that is, I know it deeply offends many on GN) . grin

Grandma70s Wed 13-Jun-18 08:05:24

I can’t do links on the iPad either, gillybob. I’ll grit my teeth and look at the Daily Mail, though I don’t take it seriously as any sort of evidence.

sodapop Wed 13-Jun-18 08:09:20

Your post made me chuckle MawBroon

Iam64 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:19:13

Good Morning MawBroon - thanks for introducing a smile here.
Of course if other less ridiculously expensive forms of transport were available, Edward should have used them. This incident surely can't be used to put them all up against a wall and shoot them grin

Grandma70s Wed 13-Jun-18 08:22:04

If you will read tabloid gutter press papers, you will get indignant about all sorts of minor things. It must be very wearing.

The DM offers no evidence about the funding for this trip. It just makes statements.

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 08:29:30

Okay maybe it’s all made up and the photos of him getting off the private plane were photoshopped . Maybe he really did drive there or maybe as Maw suggested he “ Took the National Express, when you life’s in a mess..... “ wink

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 08:29:51

Ear worm ?

Grandma70s Wed 13-Jun-18 08:52:52

Lots of rich people use private planes. I’m not saying he didn’t make the journey. I’m saying there is no apparent evidence about how it was funded.

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 08:56:38

If you choose to believe he paid for it with his own credit card. That’s fine . smile

MawBroon Wed 13-Jun-18 09:00:24

Does it matter ? hmm