Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do when World Cup is on.

(66 Posts)
suzied Wed 13-Jun-18 05:57:09

Will you be watching? Not me - I’ll be binge watching something on Netflix, dressmaking, going to the theatre or some other diversionary tactic. I’d like to go to a remote Scottish/ Italian/Greek Island with no TV or newspapers but that’s unlikely.

yggdrasil Wed 13-Jun-18 07:11:27

I have loads of Outlander episodes I haven't had time to watch yet, And the Bridge. And that new one Hidden too.
If it wasn't for sport, I might never manage to catch up :-)

sodapop Wed 13-Jun-18 08:16:53

Plenty of books saved up to read and some jobs to do which I have been putting off.
I love Outlander as well yggdrasil Not sure when the next book is being published.

Iam64 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:20:03

I'll probably be continuing work on a baby blanket with the footie on as background music (yep, I live with a chap)

rubysong Wed 13-Jun-18 08:39:21

On Monday I will be cooking a selection of Tunisian food for friends and neighbours who will come here to watch the match. Then when England play again we go to someone else's house and they cook food from the opposing team. It's been our tradition for quite a lot of years for world cup and Euro matches.

farview Wed 13-Jun-18 08:43:35

Love the world cupsmilewine

DanniRae Wed 13-Jun-18 08:45:43

Er? Watch it! grin

ginny Wed 13-Jun-18 08:48:28

All sorts of things other than watch it. Luckily DH is not bothered either. Same with Wimbledon.

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 08:49:06

I will be watching it too . Not every match mind you. DGS says he wants to wear the strip for every team England play.... ? this is awkward as I don’t want to wish them out after the first round but unless I win the lottery ??? He’s gonna be very disappointed.

Teetime Wed 13-Jun-18 08:59:40

Luckily Dh only watches a few games of football and mostly only the highlights which he records and watches when I have gone to bed. He has a TV in his study as well he can watch it in there.In the unlikely event that England get anywhere I shall be found on the golf course.

Anniebach Wed 13-Jun-18 09:06:50

Try to ignore it.

NanaandGrampy Wed 13-Jun-18 09:10:38

Love that idea Rubysong!

I don't like football , so I shall either go shopping ( its amazing how empty the shops are when England is playing ) or I shall take my self off to the craft room, drink good coffee, listen to music and craft!!

petra Wed 13-Jun-18 09:11:53

When is it on ?
I have an automatic switch off button whenever the word is mentioned.

ninathenana Wed 13-Jun-18 09:12:47

Watching DVD's netflix, the other channels, jigsaws, reading.

Luckly it's the wrong shaped ball for H, he's only interested in ?? which I enjoy too.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 13-Jun-18 09:20:22

Hang out on Gransnet - naturally!! grin

Foxyferret Wed 13-Jun-18 10:49:40

I for one love it and Wimbledon. People complain, but it is only once every 4 years ( the football I mean).

gillyknits Wed 13-Jun-18 10:55:17

I’m so glad my husband isn’t a football fan. We can watch other things, go out, read books etc. without him worrying that he’s missing something.

maryhoffman37 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:58:03

Being completely uninterested in football and married to a lovely man who feels the same, it will not impinge on me in the slightest. And I have a boxed set of Spiral (Engrenages) I have started yet.

wolfie1 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:58:05

I will be watching it all. As for my hubby, he can find plenty to do. Roles are reversed here and he doesn't complain when our holidays are arranged for when my babbies (Wolves) are playing at home. It's been like this for almost 48 years and he knew when we married what it would be like.

DanniRae Wed 13-Jun-18 10:59:53

Most of the England matches we will watch at our local bowls club where we are social members. It's a great atmosphere and when (or if) England score the whole place goes crazy. I love being there when that happens.

Alima Wed 13-Jun-18 11:02:47

Watching it when England play. Hoping we get more than 3 matches.

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 11:02:55

Yes me too DanniRae . The atmosphere is fantastic. I'm really looking forward to it actually.

hildajenniJ Wed 13-Jun-18 11:03:08

Here too wolfie. I'll be watching, DH will probably find plenty to do in the garden. He doesn't do sport of any kind!

DanniRae Wed 13-Jun-18 11:11:48

(I have sent you a PM gillybob)

Sheilasue Wed 13-Jun-18 11:38:22

Going to meet up with friend and cousin and will disappear off with my book to the garden or tele in the bedroom.
Have said if there is something on sky I want to see he goes in the bedroom with the hd television.