Gransnet forums

Chat

How much sleep do you get

(111 Posts)
Nannykay Thu 14-Jun-18 22:50:13

I have just posted about when I read, and mentioned that I often read during the night when I can’t sleep.

It got me thinking, DH sleeps as soon as he turns the light out, and will sleep for 8 hours, more if left. I go to bed about 10.30, but there is no point trying to sleep until gone 12. Then I wake about 3 for an hour or more then might sleep until about 6 when I declare it’s morning so can read. I would say I get about 5 hours sleep.

Jomarie Thu 14-Jun-18 22:59:11

You and me both Nannykay. Have the exact same scenario playing out at my house. Am slightly envious of DH but then I do so enjoy reading and feel no guilt when doing it unobserved. We don't share a bedroom now so no problem re disturbing him. I love it.

JustALaugh Thu 14-Jun-18 23:01:53

I don't get anywhere near enough sleep. My husband goes to bed between 9.30 and 10.30, and within 5 minutes is snoring like a stuck pig. I go at about 11.30, but can't sleep because of his noise. Last night I jabbed and kicked him until 2.30 (he still snored) and I got up, did some ironing, watched a programme on catchup, read a magazine and went to bed at 5.30am. He went to work at 6.45, and I slept on and off until 8.30, when I had to get up because of someone knocking at the front door. I am permanently tired!

cornergran Thu 14-Jun-18 23:04:29

Similar for me Nannykay. Mr C can sleep for 8-10 hours without a problem. Me? Sometimes I manage 7 hours but usually between 4 and 6. I wake at 2 and 4 most nights, often because of pain. It’s been like that for years, including when I worked in a demanding professional role. I wonder sometimes what I could achieve with sleep and a clear head. Oh well, we are as we are. There are many night owls on GN, we certainly aren’t alone.

callgirl1 Thu 14-Jun-18 23:18:12

I don`t go to bed until between 1 and 2am, because to go earlier would mean lying awake for ages. But I`m always tired because I`m up twice, sometimes 3 times a night to the loo, then have to get myself back to sleep again. The other night I got into bed at 1.40am, got up at 7am, and in between those times I was up 3 times.

Coolgran65 Thu 14-Jun-18 23:21:09

I go to bed at around 11pm and read. Sometimes for several hours. On occasion I get to sleep around 4 or 5am. My usual night is of 3 or 4 hours fractured sleep.
Thank goodness I am now retired.

Synonymous Thu 14-Jun-18 23:56:06

NannyKay you are not alone! There seems to be a few of us who don't sleep much. Funny how DH can claim to have not slept whilst I am listening to his snoring for hours! grin
I do get to a point when I am so tired that I sleep well for a change - thought it might happen tonight but sadly not yet!

M0nica Fri 15-Jun-18 00:00:27

About a decade ago I had lots of nights when I either couldn't get to sleep untilwell after midnight or woke in the night and couldn't get back to sleep. Several times a month I wouldn't sleep at all so would go downstairs and read or do some research.

Gradually over the years I have got it under control. I go to bed about 10.30, if it is taking me awhile to get to sleep, I go into the spare bedroom where I can relax and read as long as I like without being worried I am disturbing DH. that usually gets me to sleep within 15 - 20 minutes

If I wake in the night and can feel I won't drift back quickly, again I go into the spare room with my radio, turn it on softly, tuck it under the pillow and usually drift off quite quickly. I do go to the loo in the night, but barely wake at all.

My rule is not to turn on lights during the night, so I move between bedroom and spare in the dark and between bedroom and loo in the dark and do not flush the loo overnight. That way I minimise my disturbance level.

Then of course there are nights like tonight when my brain is buzzing and I am not remotely tired, so I am at my desk and writing this post!

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Jun-18 00:03:59

I aim for 7 hours a night on average, but it’s hard to achieve. I usually get nearer to 6 hours. I have a MiFit, which analyses my sleep and regularly berates me for not getting enough deep sleep and going to bed too late. I’m not sure what I can do about the former, but do find I sleep better if I go to bed before 11. Life gets in the way though!

Eloethan Fri 15-Jun-18 00:34:51

About 5-6 hours a night. I have got into a bad habit of staying up late and think I really need to go two hours earlier as I seem to be waking up early whatever time I go to bed.

Day6 Fri 15-Jun-18 01:52:26

Synonymous I too have a man who claims he doesn't sleep , even when I tell him I've listened to his snoring throughout the night. It drives me crazy.

I am wide awake, despite being up since 8am this morning and driving a round trip of 140 miles yesterday. Sleep won't come unless I am drugged. I seem to thrive however on about 3-4 hours a night. Sleep is supposed to be restorative. I expect I'd be much more energetic if I had a few more hours shut-eye at night. As I type he is snoring away beside me.

Is it wrong to feel resentful? hmm

Day6 Fri 15-Jun-18 01:59:10

Correction...is it wrong to think about bashing him over the head with a frying pan?

It's a good job I don't have one handy here in the boudoir. grin

Grannyknot Fri 15-Jun-18 06:54:11

I'm like the OPs husband - I say goodnight and go to sleep for 7 or 8 hours, been like that for most of my adult life. When I first got married, my OH couldn't believe how quickly I'd be "gone" and I'd be equally as surprised that he couldn't do it, and I'd say "But why say good night and then not go off to sleep?" grin

Nowadays I do (some nights) get up once or maybe twice for the loo, but I barely wake up in doing so ...

silverlining48 Fri 15-Jun-18 07:32:00

I go to bed at 10.30 latest usually drop off but wake every hour or so through the night. Not for the bathroom, I just wake up. I can’t sleep during the day so manage on very little. The only thing which works is medication, and my doctor limits these so I ‘save’ them for when things get too too bad. It surprises me how one can carry on for so long like this.

travelsafar Fri 15-Jun-18 07:42:24

i am usually in bed around 11-11.30pm i read for about 15mins then have no bother dropping off to sleep but i wake around 5.30- 6am but if i am lucky i can turn over and catch another hour till around 7am. The light mornings dont help plus i always sleep with the window open and the birds singing doesnt help. If i am lucky i can catch 20mins later in the day.

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 07:45:52

I do have trouble with dropping off (yet 10 minutes into most TV programmes after about 3pm sees me nodding off) and sleeping through. Years of listening out and getting up for Paw and/or Gracie must have become a habit.
After he died the Dr gave me Zopiclone(?) which I called Dopiclone for a few weeks but I find herbal Nytol works just as well and doesn’t leave me zonked the next day.
I think I usually sleep from around midnight till 5.30 and can usually go off again until about 7. My idea of luxury is to sleep through until I wake up naturally.

OldMeg Fri 15-Jun-18 07:45:55

We now have separate rooms. He snores and I wriggle about.

It works for both of us and we both sleep better.

Panache Fri 15-Jun-18 08:04:53

My sleep has very little pattern these days, other than I make a 2 hourly trip to the loo throughout!!
Yes,every 2 hours......... a darn nuisance but one of the "crosses" my health has brought.
If I have had a fairly busy day which may only mean meeting and chatting with new people,or going and doing something different either that day or the one to come......I can easily spend the whole night tossing and turning with non or very little sleep.
Dropping off is sometimes the nuisance and I have been known to revert to a book of crosswords to get me even more tired.....I have even sat and had the P.C on to browse through.............other times I drop off and do well for the first 2 hours and thereafter its more a case of "Will I or won`t I"
Needless to add I come to in the morning looking and feeling like something the cat has dragged in!!
Always feeling so very tired.........in fact totally drained.......and with deep black bags under my eyes showing the world my lack of sleep.

My DH on the other hand drops off within minutes and will sleep the whole night through be it 6,7. or 8 hours..........longer if he was that fortunate!!

One of my greatest wishes would be a good eight hours of soothing sleep per night and no more than one or two loo visits!! That would be a taste of heaven!!

Yet strangely enough if watching a favourite programme I can so easily nod off.............ah! well I giess that is called life!!

jusnoneed Fri 15-Jun-18 08:14:32

I go to bed at around 10 o'clock and read for a while, usually go to sleep pretty quickly once light is off. Most nights one bathroom trip needed but straight back to sleep after. Then I wake between 5/6 and get up about 6.30.
I have slept much better since having separate rooms from OH. He drops off anytime he sits down, watching telly etc lol. Snores like a train when led in bed.

Bathsheba Fri 15-Jun-18 08:27:14

OldMeg that could almost have been my post! Except that for me it would read "He snores and I keep getting up for the loo". Some nights I'm up just a couple of times, but more usually I'm up almost hourly - around 6 loo trips on an average night. Like M0nica, though, I always creep around in the dark and don't flush the loo in the night, so generally I can stay in 'sleep' mode and nod off again very quickly.
I yearn for a full night's sleep, 8 hours of oblivion without waking. I've forgotten what that feels like sad

Purpledaffodil Fri 15-Jun-18 08:31:18

DH up and down to the loo all night which is disturbing for us both. Read that a handful of raisins eaten at bedtime can help sleep, sounds like snake oil I know but apparently they contain natural melatonin. It has certainly improved his disturbed sleep and he wakes once or sometimes not at all. Hurrah for raisins!

Marthajolly1 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:06:42

I have to say I love my bed. I'm usually tired enough to turn in around 10.30-11 but OH likes to stay up longer and likes us to go up at the same time. I rarely take a daytime nap. OH always has about halh an hour in the evening. I'm out with the light and need the bathroom only once during the night. Quite often I'll wake at 4.20am (I don't understand why it's always 4,20) and stay wide awake with mindless thoughts for a couple of hours then fall into a really deep sleep, I then sleep right through the alarm which goes on for about 15mins! I have to have blackout blinds and eye mask at this time of year as the slightest chink of light disturbs me and hurts my eyes. I never disturb in the winter and always wake up late.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Jun-18 09:37:11

I have a blackout blind too, Martha, which DH cheerfully calls my shroud. He doesn’t need any sleep aids. I’ve known him fall asleep standing up and on aeroplanes when others are still boarding around him. Fortunately he’s not a snorer.

Maybelle Fri 15-Jun-18 09:48:48

Never seem to get enough sleep, drop off easily, but Dh finds it very difficult to sleep due to pain so will usually lay there for an hour or so then wakes me up so he can sit in a chair and wait until he can have more meds. Then he wakes at around 6.30 to 7 ish. seem to get 5 hours most nights.
He needs full time support as disabled and falls. Not always able to self transfer from chair to wheelchair etc.
I tend to nap in the day time when he has taken pain relief that usually sends him to sleep.
Sorry not always positive about this but know / you will understand that life is not always a bowl of cherries. Try to look on the bright side mainly x

Lazigirl Fri 15-Jun-18 09:54:18

I have periods of not sleeping, usually when anxious about something but since leaving work I generally sleep better. I think I was always in a constant state of alertness when working. Nowadays I put radio on world service if I can't sleep and often fall asleep listening to it, and OH will ask me to put it on if he is awake, which I can do in my sleep with no disruption. Apparently it is common for older folk to sleep less at night, more in the day. I find if I start counting how many hours I've had, whilst awake during the night, particularly if I have a busy forthcoming day I will never go back to sleep. Funny how the brain works.