Gransnet forums

Chat

Today's silly phone call

(84 Posts)
kittylester Thu 21-Jun-18 13:13:08

Phone rings - it's a number similar to DD2's but not hers

Me: Hello

Eddie: Hello Mrs Lester. I was talking to your neighbours about their loft insulation and they say it hasn't been done to the latest guidelines.

Me: Ours has. It was done last year by British Gas.

Eddie: Oh. Erm, what about your cavity walls - have they been filled?

Me: My house is built of granite and the walls are 18 inches thick.

Eddie: Well, I'm sure they would benefit from cavity filling anyway.

aggie Thu 21-Jun-18 14:13:08

Brilliant , nearly as good as the first floor conservatory !
I have just had , what sounds like a robot , telling me my internet is being cut off , missed the end as the kettle came to the boil and I needed a cuppa .

NanKate Thu 21-Jun-18 14:21:47

That gave me a laugh Kitty

Sometime back a young man came to our front door offering double glazing.
As you will see we already have double glazing I replied.
Well what about your front Door?
You mean this one where we had a wooden stable door especially designed?
Yes we could easily change it to PVC .

I was not amused ?

ninathenana Thu 21-Jun-18 14:28:49

kitty H is gringrin made his day

Panache Thu 21-Jun-18 14:32:27

Such humour makes the world a much nicer place....... amid all the other doom and gloom.

Keep `em coming Kitty..........its the way you tell `em!!

Mapleleaf Thu 21-Jun-18 14:51:20

Hilarious, Kitty. You do have to wonder about these people sometimes, don’t you? ?

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Jun-18 15:01:31

grin
perhaps there's a block of granite where his brain should be

Liz46 Thu 21-Jun-18 15:08:26

NanKate, you just reminded me of a double glazing salesman who came to give us an estimate. I loved the stained glass, leaded windows in our hall and had no intention of replacing them. It was other windows that we were interested in. The salesman stepped over the doorstop, made no attempt to find out what I wanted, looked at my beautiful windows and said 'we'll have them out and replace them with nice picture windows'. I turned him round and put him straight back out.

mimiro Thu 21-Jun-18 15:20:26

your windows computer is going to be shut down it is infected

don't do windows
oh

FarNorth Thu 21-Jun-18 15:49:10

Would you like some nice double glazed ones, mimiro?

JustALaugh Thu 21-Jun-18 16:27:29

What a dozy caller. I'm ex-directory and never give my number to anyone. We do get doorstep salesmen though, but I tell them the house is rented (it's not, it's all paid for), and they soon go away.

harrigran Thu 21-Jun-18 16:56:25

Phone rings and young man tells me that we are the only people in the street not to have cavity wall insulation and all our neighbours are thrilled with the results. Liar, liar pants on fire, every single neighbour has had a problem after having it done, my immediate neighbour actually has water running down the inside of her bedroom wall. There is no way that they would have recommended the company.

Angela1961 Thu 21-Jun-18 17:16:51

I've had a call in the past saying my neighbour is getting a quote for a double glazed porch and would we be interested for a discount. Problem is it's a shared driveway and the doors are opposite each other ! Connecting houses anyone ? !!!

ninathenana Thu 21-Jun-18 17:18:31

JustALaugh last time I tried that, she asked for the landlords details.
Had to tell her I couldn't say and had to end up shutting the door on her.
Persistant or what

Willow500 Thu 21-Jun-18 17:53:54

grin

Liz46 Thu 21-Jun-18 18:16:27

We have a sign on the front door (they are very cheap) and it even deters politicians and religious people!

Menopaws Thu 21-Jun-18 18:22:23

I've said it before but when been offered double glazing I said we lived in a cave and all the young salesman could say was...WOW! COOL!

NanKate Thu 21-Jun-18 19:44:59

Well done Liz46 I too love stained glass. These sales people have no class or discernment, like wot we ‘av ?

Nanabilly Thu 21-Jun-18 21:55:31

If anyone knocks on my door trying to sell something I always ask if it's free as I've got no money . They usually smile and walk away.

Skweek1 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:31:57

We live in a council house. We have problems with mould and when we checked found that we have no damp course. Some years ago, when they were last doing updates to kitchens, bathrooms etc, I went out to find a young man outside up a ladder. I asked what on earth he was doing. "Just checking your cavity wall insulation, luv." I couldn't believe it. "As far as I know, w haven't got cavity walls". "Oh . . . " He went away, never to be seen again.

Rosina Fri 22-Jun-18 09:36:52

I had that call yesterday aggie - we aren't even with BT! My current response is to lay the handset down (tip picked up from another Gransnetter) and walk away.
What a way to earn a living!

Juliet27 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:42:02

I had a caller at the front door inviting me to some celebration. I pointed to the word bible on the paperwork and she said 'not a believer?' I said 'afraid not' and she said she'd spoken to another atheist and he was really quite nice. I responded that we can actually be quite decent people!!

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:44:08

Oh the times.....

Hello Microsoft here your computer has a problem

Which one?

Your windows one......

This is a computer consultancy We have 14 computers all Linux apart from the two HP ux ones but don’t trust Windows !

Er....... CLUNK.

Works every time, complete tosh but it shuts ‘em up

youngagain Fri 22-Jun-18 09:45:16

I left Talk Talk nearly 2 years ago but my details were accessed when they were hacked. I still get phone calls from 'Talk Talk Technical Department' telling me there is a problem with my internet!!! I have bought a referee's whistle and I blow this down the phone each time. Unfortunately, my son says there is a device on the phone which subdues the sound. Shame!!!

Omaoma57 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:47:11

If i know it is a saleperson on the other end of the phone i adopt another language...or pretend my hearing has deteriorated or just breathe very heavily...silly i know but sometimes you have to get a laugh somewhere!