Gransnet forums

Chat

My post is showing on Google search. Disgusted

(31 Posts)
thomsnannie2 Mon 16-Jul-18 13:36:23

I am very unsettled to see that the start of my post is quoted on Google search in gransnet. Please help me get it removed.

thomsnannie2 Mon 16-Jul-18 13:37:26

Post showing on Google. Disgusted and panicky. Please help mebremove thid

MissAdventure Mon 16-Jul-18 13:40:29

Hi,
You need to email admin here on the site and they will remove it.
I'm not sure how to do it, but someone will be able to tell you, I'm sure.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 16-Jul-18 13:44:12

If you mean you have googled Gransnet on your phone, I think you will find that many people's posts or parts of posts are in the public domain. You don't need to sign in.

I think Gransnet does warn you when you sign up.

What I have written above might sound a bit unkind and cold to you but I do not mean it that way. Written word often harsher than speaking face to face.

If I am wrong or have misinterpreted your query, I really do apologise.

ninathenana Mon 16-Jul-18 13:49:17

This is an open forum, anyone can see posts on here. Be aware that if it is removed from Google non members can still view it on GN web site
You may also find your post comes up on Facebook.

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Jul-18 13:51:40

PLEASE please be aware that All THREADS and Photographs posted on Gransnet and Mumsnet are on Google!

Also information. posted on geneolgy sites can be found on google.

Pittcity Mon 16-Jul-18 13:55:22

Google search is compiled by robots trawling the internet. Anything you post online will be on there if you put in the right words.

notanan2 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:05:52

Gransnet doesn't chose what shows on google. Google robots and algorithms do (and it will be different depending on who is viewing it).

You have publicly published your posts, they're not yours any more

petra Mon 16-Jul-18 14:31:58

When are people going to understand that the minute they put fingers to keyboard it's out there for the world to read.
There's a clue: it's called the World Wide Web

lemongrove Mon 16-Jul-18 14:44:13

I like to think of it as cafe chat, but we know it isn’t, especially as it can end up in newspapers and on FB.
Be wary, if new to forums, of putting too much personal info out there.

notanan2 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:52:13

there are also bots that can identify your individual writing style, so bits and bobs you've posted on different forums under different usernames can be linked up.

And "Doxing" goes on a lot: linking up peoples "anonomous" posts with their real life contact details. Its easier done than people realise.

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:55:33

Sadly Petra no matter how many times/threads people are reminded that it is out there for ever they are lulled into the Cosy Gran's chat.

Any posts or photographs will be on Google for ever more.

I have traced lost relatives and and friends (inform them my Father had passed away) through Google searches.
It was sooo easy.
One relative was a retired headteacher in USA. His school had wrote a nice piece about him and placed pictures in local newspaper.
On Google.

My father's cousins son owned a shop and advertised on the web
On Google.

Another cousin had an extension on theie house, again in the web 're planing permission.
On Google.

Found another through Company House.
On Google.

Almost everyone has a paper trail on the web.
Must save private investigators a fortune in show leathergrin

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 15:03:30

It hasn't decreased the amount of paper being used though Cherrytree!

Unless the thread was picked up by another site, it should disappear when it is deleted, shouldn't it?
They are deleting it, thomsnannie

Elegran Mon 16-Jul-18 15:22:51

But, Jalima things are still floating about in the internet, even though they have been deleted.

Whatever you put onto the internet is there for Google Search to find it, for ever . That is what is meant by Search - it has not been copied by anyone else or hijacked or repeated, it has been found where you left it, like a heart carved into the bark of a tree. It is where you put it, and if someone searches for words or phrases of it, they will find it. No-one puts things onto Google, they are still on the site where they were posted. Google is just a search engine, it finds things when asked, like a sniffer dog.

This should be engraved on the keybnoard of everyone who connects to the internet and uses it to post on social forums like Gransnet (and many others) or who has a Facebook or Twitter account and posts things on those.

Gransnet will delete a post on here, on Gransnet or on the Gransnet Facebook page, if you ask for it, but it is still possible to find whole websites which have been deleted posts, even if they are no longer on the current or future website. There is actually a question and answer on that subject on the net - suiteminute.com/how-to-find-old-deleted-websites-or-blog-posts-wayback-machine-and-googles-cache-video/

If you don't want it to permanently on view, don't publish it.

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Jul-18 15:46:19

Thank you elegran your heart analogy nicely sums what I was trying to put across smile

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Jul-18 15:47:08

Ps shoe leather!!

sparkly1000 Mon 16-Jul-18 16:04:17

I suggest that you could request to change your GN user name and not include anything that could link you to your family.
I googled your user name and it immediately flagged up your previous posts including the one deleted by GN.
I do hope things work out for you and your family.

mimiro Mon 16-Jul-18 16:23:08

petra and cherry have been trying for 2 decades to get this point across.also if you store things on your phone it becomes part of cloud storage.a whiz kid in his bedroom can access it given enough time.not even counting the real malicious hackers looking for info to sell.
www.visualcapitalist.com/much-personal-data-worth/
www.computerworld.com/article/2483552/cloud-security/no--your-data-isn-t-secure-in-the-cloud.html

since most govt/businesses use cloud storage,its all out there.google tracks you whereever you "go"

bottem line if you send it out, its out there somewhere forver.if you have paperwork you need to keep put it on a thumbdrive.dont store it on your phone/computer or device.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 16:58:31

Elegran I had assumed that, if a thread was deleted on GN, then the Google link would lead to just a deleted thread.
I do realise that Google is a search engine smile but, if the thread has been deleted, I thought that the search would lead to 'Thread Deleted'.

Never assume anything.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 17:07:44

Don't panic too much thomsnannie - I asked for a thread to be deleted the other day and a quick Google search leads to a 'Thread Deleted' page on GN.

I am sure if anyone was determined they could pursue the Google search but, if you are concerned, perhaps GNHQ will advise you further.

Elegran Mon 16-Jul-18 18:01:29

That is good, Jalima. I think it takes a fair bit of ingenuity to find things that have been deleted, so although in theory it is possible, it is unlikely to happen unless it is something a hacker desperately wants - not an everyday Gransnet post.

notanan2 Mon 16-Jul-18 18:06:10

Nothing you delete is gone, its just made less visible, but its still there and can be retrieved if someone really wants to.

Once its online it leaves a permanent trace forever, deleted or not

notanan2 Mon 16-Jul-18 18:08:37

Doxing happens to ordinary people.

The "plane bae" lady was Doxed, she didn't peruse the spotlight the couple sat behind her snapped her without her knowledge then other people dug up her real life details

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 19:05:56

I've never heard of that

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 19:07:09

Oh dear - surely that is an invasion of privacy

(I had to check to make sure it wasn't me - no, it's not)