Gransnet forums

Chat

to vape or not to vape, that is the question

(49 Posts)
petunia Fri 17-Aug-18 18:35:06

On the news this evening, there was a piece about vaping. There have been a number of suggestions put forward from the government committee; two of them really bother me.
Firstly that rules around vaping should be relaxed meaning that individuals could be allowed to vape on public transport and some public spaces.
The second being that the NHS should fund vaping as a means to quitting smoking.
Personally I would be very unhappy for vaping to be allowed in public and on public transport. The clouds of vapour and the sickly sweet smell are not at all pleasant and there is still a question mark over the long term safety of the vapour. I would not enjoy sitting on the bus and someone next to me begins vaping.
What do you think?

Nanny27 Fri 17-Aug-18 18:54:56

I wholeheartedly agree with you petunia. Vaping is horrible. Walking down the street minding your own business and suddenly you get a mouthful of foul tasting steam. Ugh! As for asking the tax payer to fund it! No no no. They got themselves addicted to tobacco so they can pay to get themselves off it. Btw, I am an ex smoker who never expected anyone else to fund me.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Aug-18 19:00:25

I think the reasoning behind it is that it is 95 percent better for a person than smoking, so it seems silly to treat it in the same way.

Welshwife Fri 17-Aug-18 19:19:09

From the vaping I have seen it appears to generate far more of the smoke or steam or whatever than cigarettes. The people vaping seem to make as much smoke as possible with every huge suck!
We were in a restaurant the other evening sitting outside and at another table someone was vaping and the smell was not at all what we needed while eating our meal.

sodapop Fri 17-Aug-18 19:20:14

I do not want to be subjected to other people's vaping, its still an unknown quantity.
I gave up smoking without resorting to this alternative habit so don't see why I should put up with this unpleasantness.

Framilode Fri 17-Aug-18 19:27:16

I vape after years of being a heavy smoker and many attempts to give up. My husband is a non smoker and I have never smoked inside.

He does not mind me vaping inside as he says there is no smell associated with it.

What is breathed out from vaping is steam not smoke. I don't see why the manufacturers need this smoke effect from vaping.

I would never vape in a restaurant or where it might affect others but it has helped me tremendously to break the habit.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Aug-18 19:33:15

Yes, I vape, but I'm always mindful of other people who may be affected by my little bit of vapour.
I don't have huge plumes like a steam train!

TerriBull Fri 17-Aug-18 20:24:46

I'm amazed at two things, firstly, the number of Vape shops around, although I have noticed one near us has closed recently, If they sell only those products I wouldn't have thought they would make enough to cover their overheads. Secondly, the vapour trail when a vaper, if that's the right word, passes by. Powerful!

petunia Fri 17-Aug-18 20:31:21

im not to keen on the plumes of vapour pouring out of car windows or the cloud that hangs around groups of vapors outside pubs,hospitals etc. but i can walk by. what does bother me though is if vaping on public transport is allowed. on single decker buses there will be no escape

grannyactivist Fri 17-Aug-18 20:32:07

I have every sympathy with anyone who is trying to give up smoking and if vaping helps them then that's good. However, I have no desire to be in an enclosed space with someone who is vaping as many of the smells are horribly sickly sweet and I find them really off-putting.

sodapop Fri 17-Aug-18 21:25:36

If vaping helps them that's fine, just don't inflict it on me.
What happened to good old will power.

cornergran Fri 17-Aug-18 21:32:44

I’m another who finds the odour from vaping very difficult to tolerate. I truly don’t understand why there is so much vapour from the majority. If it were permitted on a bus or other enclosed space it would be more than unpleasant. I guess the people making up the committee suggesting it could be permitted don’t travel on buses.

phoenix Fri 17-Aug-18 22:04:54

I am a vaper! There, said it!

There are many different vape liquids available, unlike the standard smell from cigarettes. One of my work colleagues smokes, and I can tell from a fair few paces if he has recently had a cigarette!

My personal choice of liquid is columbia coffee, and I don't choose the type that is known as "cloud chaser" which is designed to produce very large amounts of "smoke".

Mr P prefers a blueberry/raspberry one, which is rather on the sweet side (must admit I don't particularly like the smell myself!)

I would never dream of vaping on public transport, and when we go out to a pub or restaurant, obey the same rules that apply to smoking cigarettes.

I have never had any complaints from people in the vicinity when I am vaping, and indeed have often been asked what I am using because it smells so nice!

phoenix Fri 17-Aug-18 22:06:46

Sorry, meant to ask, "which would you prefer to be walking past, or standing next to, a vaper or someone smoking a cigarette?

sodapop Fri 17-Aug-18 22:14:11

I don't want to be near either phoenix and feel strongly that vaping like smoking is not acceptable in public places.

lemongrove Fri 17-Aug-18 22:17:24

A cigarette to be honest Phoenix I don’t like the vape steam.
However, yes, if it helps people not to smoke it’s fine, but not on public transport I hope.

Auntieflo Fri 17-Aug-18 22:23:01

Sorry, but why, when the long term effects are unknown, are the powers that be, going to allow vaping in public places?
Also, I certainly cannot see why this self chosen habit should be funded by money that could be used to much better effect on treatment and/or research, for patients who have developed an illness, by no fault of their own.
I am so cross about this proposed change, that I probably haven't made much sense, so apologies.

M0nica Fri 17-Aug-18 23:02:26

Cigarette smoke gives me migraine and the smell of vapes (what a horrid word) makes me feel sick.

SpringyChicken Fri 17-Aug-18 23:16:21

When I first saw the quantity of vapour these things give off, I thought it was a joke. Like a Kenny Everett sketch. The smell is disgusting.

Nelliemoser Fri 17-Aug-18 23:26:11

No! No! No! Do not let people vape in indoor public places, Smokers are used to to going outside for a smoke. Don't go back on this.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Aug-18 01:00:10

Assuming that vaping really is 95 percent safer than smoking, people want the ban to continue because they just don't like it..
I don't have a problem with things as they are now, by the way.

sodapop Sat 18-Aug-18 06:42:40

Yet another case of minority views taking precedence over the majority.
The long term effects of vaping are unknown so I don't want this affecting me or my family.

petunia Sat 18-Aug-18 07:20:16

There was also the suggestion that vaping be supported on prescription. I have a bit of a problem with that. On the one hand the hardened smoker who is committed to giving up smoking is one thing. But on the other, evidence suggests that people are taking up vaping who are not smokers. How does the hard pressed GP/no smoking clinic health professional distinguish between the smoker who needs support and the vaper who fancies having the stuff on prescription?

M0nica Sat 18-Aug-18 07:38:52

Just because vaping is not as dangerous as smoking, it does not mean that it is safe. There are innumerable reports of its negative affects, many of them from reliable sources like the NHS.
www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/vaping-damages-dna-mice-which-may-increase-cancer-risk/ and while vaping may be safer for smokers than cigarettes, the reason smoking is banned in enclosed spaces, and some outside spaces is because of the health dangers to non-smokers of inhaling other peoples cigarette smoke.

Non-vapers should equally be protected from the harmful vapours and strong odour of e-cigarettes, which can equally be an irritant to eyes and throat.

gillybob Sat 18-Aug-18 08:07:33

I hope they don’t manage to change the rules and allow vaping inside restaurants and confined spaces etc. Imagine 2 or 3 (or more ) people doing it at the same time you wouldn’t be able to see for the clouds of smelly steam. One of the guys at work stands outside and vapes and the strong vanilla smell makes me feel physically sick. Okay I get that it’s better than actual smoking (as *M0nica said are they entirely sure it’s harmless though?) but why should anyone else have to breath it in ?