Gransnet forums

Chat

just sitting about.

(46 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 21-Aug-18 14:56:32

I got up at 6.15 this morning and went to work for 8am to do care work for the older person.Once home i ate lunch then prepared our evening meal, cleared the kitchin up and swept the floor.Did a few bits in the garden now i am gonna put my feet up.It suddenly struck me that apart fro dealing with dinner and clearing away after, watering the garden i will probably sit for the rest of the evneing watching tv and knitting.Is this too much.quite honestly there isnothing else to be done in the house and garden at the mo.I am semi retired and do two shifts per week, on the free days i do other things walk to town, play bowls, am i being active enough?We are told constantly sitting still is bad for us, but quite honeslty i am bushed!!!

Auntieflo Tue 21-Aug-18 17:25:40

If you are 'bushed' , then just sit. And enjoy the sitting. No doubt you will be busy and pottering tomorrow.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 21-Aug-18 17:38:33

I have spent the last 61 years not sitting. When I have finished my grandma duties and the GC go back to school, I intend to do an awful lot of just sitting!!!

sodapop Tue 21-Aug-18 17:44:00

We are guilt tripped into thinking we should fill every moment with fulfilling things and exercise. Nothing wrong with sitting down and relaxing in my book. Enjoy travelasfar

Mapleleaf Tue 21-Aug-18 17:47:30

Enjoy just sitting, travelsafar. We do so much rushing about with one thing and another, that it’s nice to sometimes just sit and ponder or read/watch tv. Nothing to feel guilty about! ?

ninathenana Tue 21-Aug-18 17:52:01

I'm an expert at sitting smile it does involve crosswords, word search and jigsaws so at least the brain is active.
There are three adults in our house, we all do our sare of chores and we rarely have visitors. So not much in the way of housework. Sadly I can't walk far these days.
Enjoy the fact that you can 'put your feet up' you've earned it !

Billybob4491 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:08:12

Just taken my granddaughter to Selfridges in Oxford St London, covered all floors, spent hours browsing, battled my way through the underground, quite happy to sit it out for the rest of the day travelsafar.

BBbevan Tue 21-Aug-18 18:08:13

Yesterday,DH and I sat for the whole day. Our 2 DGDs, who had been with us for a week were collected byDS and went home. Enough said☹️

ginny Tue 21-Aug-18 18:15:42

‘What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare etc. etc.

DoraMarr Tue 21-Aug-18 18:17:21

it seems to me Travelsafar, that you have a full and busy life, so you can enjoy your just sitting about!

travelsafar Tue 21-Aug-18 18:21:34

Oh bless you all, you have made me feel so much better i now dont feel like i am lazy. I actually ended up mowing the the lawn front, back and side of house then did a spot of tidying up in our front garden Just about to go and finish it of before i do my 'just sitting!! ' lolsmile

NonnaW Tue 21-Aug-18 20:58:28

Heavens, you make me feel tired just reading about what you have achieved today! I really do feel lazy because I do far more sitting around blush

PECS Tue 21-Aug-18 21:08:04

You have been busy with your work..that will use some energy! I think your body lets you know when it is time to have a rest!

grandMattie Wed 22-Aug-18 09:46:12

I sit a lot too - both watching TV and crochet/knitting. I also sit when reading [a lot], and when sewing... Go for it! as long as you take exercise, gt up every so often to T&P then I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is those people who only sit who are at risk.

grandMattie Wed 22-Aug-18 09:47:11

And remember the old man at the back of a church when asked what he did, he replied "Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits"...

Bijou Wed 22-Aug-18 09:59:11

I wish I didn’t have to sit so much. Walking is so painful because of arthritis in both knees.

jenni123 Wed 22-Aug-18 10:11:35

I now have a disability which prevents me from doing very much so I am sitting/lying 90% of the day. I try to keep my mind active, I read a lot, am online most of the day, emails, writing letters, checking GN and FB, skype my sister twice a day, do my shopping online,play some games to keep my mind active, but all of this sitting down. I manage to go out (usually, tho not last week) once a week, a friend and I have lunch out if I am able to make it, my only other outings are via hospital transport for appointments.

rizlett Wed 22-Aug-18 10:21:06

We are told constantly sitting still is bad for us

I think because of this then maybe your sitting should incorporate a nice bit of lying down as well. grin

David1968 Wed 22-Aug-18 10:33:26

"Never stand when you can sit, and never sit when you can lie down" has always seemed like a good maxim, to me. I don't think I'd have liked the "standing desk" when I was working. Would anyone else?

Lilylaundry Wed 22-Aug-18 10:37:42

I'm an Olympic Gold Medallist at sitting, Once upon a time I would crack on with the wall papering, painting, cleaning, cooking, etc. until I almost dropped. Not any more. I do a bit then sit a lot. Now my energy and happiness levels are at an all time high.

I say don't read the rubbish printed these days, let your body lead you. If you fancy doing something, do it. If you don't fancy doing something, don't do it. Easy peasy.

Hm999 Wed 22-Aug-18 10:42:26

As a tea addict, I get up every hour or so to put the kettle on, which apparently is quite important, the getting up not the tea.

Sheilasue Wed 22-Aug-18 10:42:30

Having been a TA for 30 years and did a lot of standing and sitting on very small primary chairs. It’s nice to just sit.
At the moment gd doing lifeguard course so we have to leave at8.15 I then come back and do some housework and then relax. At the mo sitting here and waiting for Waitrose to deliver shopping.

goldengirl Wed 22-Aug-18 10:47:29

This makes me feel a lot better. I'm at my PC a lot in the mornings writing 'stuff' and at lunch time I watch a bit of TV and attempt the DT crossword. I do swim most days and attend a Pilates session but that's about it. I loathe housework and do the minimum - it's sooooo boring and not appreciated - but reading I love and occasionally even tinkle the ivories!

ReadyMeals Wed 22-Aug-18 10:52:50

As far as I am concerned, if you've done something in the day, then the evening is the right time to sit and relax. End of smile

OldMeg Wed 22-Aug-18 11:02:29

Feeling ‘bushed’ isn’t terminal. I often used to feel like that at the end of a long day at work but I had to walk my dog, and came back energised.

Anyone else relate to that?