Gransnet forums

Chat

I can picture you now...?

(38 Posts)
Mamissimo Sun 16-Sep-18 14:57:26

I have lurked a lot, posted a bit.....met a few...but after nearly a year of semi lurking I have wonderous pictures of everyone in my mind. I know I’ll never meet you but there are some I’d really love to know....you’re my imaginary friends with lumps on! Thank you for making my life both brighter and lighter!

I’m 63, one Gc, one OH, three Dc. I’m retired from BBC, journalism, retail, education....from shopfloor to management. I campaign actively for chronic illnesses and common sense.

I’m lively, somewhat sardonic....well caustic really....and I have learned so much from lurking.

I would love to meet.....but I think I’d better keep my wonder clique private ? bet you won’t name yours!

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 15:07:27

I've met lots of my 'clique' so don't need to imagine them.

Maybe you could look out for a meet up in your area - where are you?

Mamissimo Sun 16-Sep-18 15:21:04

I don’t think my clique lives near me....we’re a national bunch!

I’d really like to have a “like” button so that posters knew who was on their wave length??

Luckygirl Sun 16-Sep-18 15:26:00

No meetings in this area! - too far out.

BlueBelle Sun 16-Sep-18 15:42:05

I haven’t been to any meet ups either there were one or two in my area that I couldn’t make then they seemed to fizzle out but I have exchanged emails and photos with one poster and we have become very good virtual friends
It’s funny how you get a mental image of someone from their posts and are probably quite wrong
This reminds me of a gentleman I had to ring through work he had the most beautiful velvety voice and a lovely way of putting things I fell completely in love with him (not really) and then we had to meet on a business level I have never met anyone so unlike his voice I really had imagined him tall dark and handsome, and he really wasn’t

Jane10 Sun 16-Sep-18 15:49:57

That is sooooo disappointing BlueBelle! That's happened to me too.
There are some GNers who I think are on my wavelength but I've never met. I'm lucky that the Edinburgh meet ups seem so popular so I have met a fair few Grans. They've all been great company.

oldbatty Sun 16-Sep-18 16:00:01

I picture you Manmisso as tallish and slim with a penchant for black cigarette pants and ridiculously expensive cashmere knitwear, which you hunt down in boutique charity shops.
You favour amber and sport 3 large rings and although you don't tell every body about this , you were Captain of the Olympic archery team back in 1967.

Mamissimo Sun 16-Sep-18 16:00:14

Maybe GN works because we can’t see each other? ....or is it the case that by forming our impression by posts we see the “real” GNetter in its essence? Maybe our pictures would create false impressions? Not in my case, I hasten to add, I’d still be a middle of road grey haired, slightly wrinkly woman that you might vaguely think you knew from somewhere or other!

I quite like reading and commenting without the clothing clues, or the background indicators. I love GN because we are!

Mamissimo Sun 16-Sep-18 16:17:06

oldbatty you are too kind! ? in my youth I might have aspired to your picture but I’m 5’7, size 16, grey haired and my face has contours! I love shopping and cashmere...but never full price...and I’m so bad at sport that I was always the last one picked!

morethan2 Sun 16-Sep-18 16:21:26

I had imagined you as an Italian, who loves his mama. I liked oldbatty’s description though it made me grin. grin It is odd how we get a mental picture of somone from their voices or their post. We gransnetters do give clues from time to time on some our posts. I have seen the odd photograph and some post about where we were born, where we live now and what we did in our misspent youth. In someways in nice to stay anonymous though.

Jane10 Sun 16-Sep-18 17:05:06

There was a thread a few years ago where we all posted our pictures...

lemongrove Sun 16-Sep-18 17:09:24

Yes, there was Jane but I can’t remember now what anyone looked like.grin

Mamissimo you’re not Mrs May are you?

Mamissimo Sun 16-Sep-18 17:12:27

lemongrove haha! Nope!

Grammaretto Sun 16-Sep-18 17:33:03

I suppose I do picture people too but not in focus.

I was at an art gallery today and definitely saw some of you there.

I sometimes wonder if my SIL is one of the posters as it can look all so familiar!

phoenix Sun 16-Sep-18 18:09:37

I am totally unique, have no clique, nor (despite my name) a beak! grin

Willow500 Sun 16-Sep-18 20:14:17

I normally have an image in my head of people I speak to on the phone (they rarely meet my expectations grin ) but on here I don't get any impressions of what people look like. Maybe it's only to do with voices.

Greyduster Mon 17-Sep-18 09:09:47

I have had the pleasure of meeting a few of my fellow GNs, and none of them fitted the images in my head; neither have the photographs I have seen of those at various meet ups. But those I have met were all perfectly charming people and good company. Like Bluebelle I have one Gransnetter with whom I exchange regular emails. We have yet to meet but it will happen.

ffinnochio Mon 17-Sep-18 09:19:02

Mamissimo ?

I’ve met some the Edinburgh lot - great visit - sadly just the once, as life got in the way.

Now I’m back in the uk, would love to attend some more in my area. Somerset/Dorset ... any takers?

Teetime Mon 17-Sep-18 09:38:23

Hello mamissimo sometimes our Gransnet name reveals something about us- I cant guess anything about yours other than perhaps an Italian influence but you should be able to with mine and thus envisage a short fat woman and her pastime. smile

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Sep-18 09:46:47

Hello Mamissimo and welcome

I imagined you as tall, slim, dark-haired and rather Italian-looking too, wearing rather a lot of expensive jewellery.
You may imagine me as 5' 10", slim, still blonde and very stylish wink.

There was a thread a few years ago where we all posted our pictures...
Yes, I can remember your picture, Jane10, and every time I reply to you I have a mental image smile!

I remember Ana's picture too, she is no longer on GN sad.
But not anyone else, sorry

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 09:53:08

Your name doesn't tell anyone about your irreverent sense of humour though Teetime.grin

I'm not sure a like button would tell people that you like them or feel that you are on the same wave length. I like lots of people on here but wouldn't necessarily like their posts. There is someone that I imagine I would get on with really well in real life but I disagree with some of her political views so wouldn't 'like' them.

Grammaretto Mon 17-Sep-18 11:46:29

I used to pride myself that I could tell a lot about someone from emails and photos.. This is from years of being on message boards and as a host to international visitors.

However I have sometimes been completely fooled and on meeting the person was unrecognisable.

So I have stopped boasting.

farview Mon 17-Sep-18 11:57:40

Interesting....I do but faces to names on GN...had to laugh to myself because recently MawBroon posted a photo of herself and I actually said out loud "that's not Maw!!"..

gmelon Mon 17-Sep-18 12:11:08

kittylester A button to like the post. I think that's what is suggested.
Then we would agree with the persons opinion. We'd be on their wavelength.

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 12:26:03

I do get that geelong! But only for that one topic!