Gransnet forums

Chat

Excessive sweating

(58 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 22:13:59

Recently I've been doing just that!
I'm not ailing in any way, certainly not losing weight, sadly, but I find that I'm literally dripping with sweat at some point each day. (And all of the night!)
Its getting embarrassing.
Does anyone else suffer this problem, or have any suggestions to help, please?
I went through the menopause around 4 or 5 years ago, so I don't think its connected to that.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 20-Sep-18 22:40:28

Some people suffer from hot flushes intermittently for years and years. Is it just possible that it is connected to the menopause?

Other than that, I've no real idea. I suppose, if it persists, you'll need to ask your GP.

Hope the problem just disappears for you.

Eglantine21 Thu 20-Sep-18 22:43:01

I think it might be a symptom of stress. An adrenaline rush?
Or maybe a recent change of medication?

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 22:45:04

I suppose it could be a kind of second menopause?
I have wondered if it could be stress related?
I'm new in my job, have to meet lots of new people, and look like the wild woman of Borneo most days.
Hair sticking up, feet sliding around in my shoes - not the most flattering image!

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 22:49:14

Ah, crossed posts, Eglantine, but we are thinking along the same lines, it seems.
I have started taking anti depressants, so maybe that could be it?
Its very debilitating: I have to just ignore it at work, but I'm embarrassed, which probably makes it worse.

Eglantine21 Thu 20-Sep-18 23:07:55

Could you google your anti depressants and see if it’s a side effect?

Actually a new job, having to meet new people that’s mega stress, apart from anything else.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 23:13:05

I am finding it hugely stressful, I have to say.
Its all of it.. life has changed so much in the last little while, and I decide to take on a new job role into the bargain.
Anyway, I'm off to Google side effects smile
Sweat rolling down my neck now, just thinking about it..

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 23:16:06

Listed under the rare side effects is sweating.
Its more likely stress, I suppose.

shysal Fri 21-Sep-18 10:13:37

I have been a hot and sweaty person most of my life, but have been even worse since the age of 50 (now 72). However I do remember reading that it can be one of the symptoms of an over-active thyroid. Perhaps it would be worth a check up with the GP in case there is an underlying cause.

gmelon Fri 21-Sep-18 18:28:59

Give your GP surgery a call. Can you request a call from a GP?
Maybe it is your medication.
Some years ago I inadvisably decided to stop all my medication for multiple sclerosis. I got in a big sulk and decided I was "normal".
Part of the massive onslaught of symptoms was sweating as if I'd been swimming fully clothed.

gmelon Fri 21-Sep-18 18:31:23

To add to my above post.
The sweating was withdrawal from my drugs.

grannyqueenie Fri 21-Sep-18 18:38:05

A friend of mine takes a mixture of medication to treat long term depression, she has extreme perspiration, especially on her facial area which she finds really embarrassing. I would go back to your GP, after all you might be that “rare” person! It might be worth having your thyroid function checked out too.

icanhandthemback Sat 22-Sep-18 11:21:20

I get this when my blood sugars are high and when my weight goes up. It may be you need to check whether you are pre-diabetic.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 11:28:15

It could be a mixture of all of the suggestions.
Weight, stress, meds.
Strangely enough, it seems to have been very slightly better since I posted about it!
Maybe a problem shared really is a problem halved.
grannyqueenie, its the sweaty face that I find the worst of all; that is so embarrassing.

grannyqueenie Sat 22-Sep-18 11:32:53

MissA, my friend now carries some dry face flannels around with her so she can discreetly dry off when she feels it’s just getting too much. Hope you can find a solution x

Persistentdonor Sat 22-Sep-18 11:35:00

If you eat a lot of sugar that just might be causing a sweaty outcome.
Not just sugar added to drinks, but also fruit, cereals, syrupy drinks, sweets/chocs, jam, biscuits, cakes, fruit yogurts and processed foods such as ketchup and baked beans. It can be lurking places one does not expect, and really adds up during a day, so it might be worth doing and audit?
Hope you find the cause and sort it out. flowers

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 11:35:33

Thank you.
Now why didn't I think of that? smile
I figure that if I have some practical solutions, it may help with the worry about it, and hopefully be able to get on top of it, as it were.

Buddly Sat 22-Sep-18 11:55:18

I get hot sweats all the time, started menopause about 10 years ago. Unfortunately everyone I have spoken to has said they may never end ?

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 11:58:03

I had terrible sweats during the menopause, but nothing for the past 2 or 3 years.
Maybe its a resurgence?
The innersoles of my shoes have rotted away! blush

Happygranny123 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:07:13

When I was taking anti depressants I had a major problem with excessive sweating, especially on my face. It was very embarrassing. I did but some spray cooling water from Boots and also from one of the major cosmetic companies( I think either Este Lauder or Elizabeth Arden) which helped a little. Unfortunately the problem continued until I came off the medication.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 12:17:07

I have an advert now for something called 'perspirex', but I wouldn't know where to apply it.
I could probably use the whole thing in one go!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:18:29

Something that might make it more bearable is to wear as few synthetic fibres as possible. I'm not suggesting that synthetic fibres cause sweating, but cotton is more absorbent.

Have you noticed whether it makes any difference what you eat? Since the menopause I have found that very spicy food or too much sugar seems to cause me to sweat more.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 12:24:55

I haven't monitored my eating, but I don't really go for sweet things and sugar, although there is probably all kinds of ingredients in the savoury stuff I like.
It may be worth me keeping a note.
I'm really worried about smelling sweaty!

B9exchange Sat 22-Sep-18 12:31:10

Sounds like hyperhydrosis, which is just another name for excessive sweating, but your GP will know what that is.

There are all sorts of treatments, you can read up about them here
www.nhs.uk/conditions/excessive-sweating-hyperhidrosis/

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 12:38:14

Thank you B9exchange.
I'll try the things listed, and then I suppose i'll have to see my doc if they don't help.
I don't want to stop the ADs, but the stress of the sweating is making me wonder if I wouldn't be happier without them.
I used to be such a dry person!