Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me ........

(76 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 22-Sep-18 14:37:03

That thinks posting on FB a picture of a cake with Welcome Home on and a balloon with the same is a little OTT when it's for your 9 yr old who has been away on a school trip for 4 DAYS (3 nights)
I only saw this as a friend commented on it on FB. She was also very gushing about her "little man" and how she couldn't wait to snuggle on the sofa and watch a film with him. Yes she is married and they have 2 children.
It would be sad if she hadn't missed him but a bit much, don't you think ?
confusedconfused

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 14:44:57

A "hello, how was it?" is the most anyone could expect from me. smile
Its the posting it on Facebook that makes me question who's benefit its all for.

OldMeg Sat 22-Sep-18 14:54:44

I’m more of the ‘did you miss me Nana?’ ‘Why have you been away somewhere?’ ? school of child/grandchild rearing.

Benign neglect is my speciality.

kathsue Sat 22-Sep-18 15:23:00

I really don't understand why people have to post anything and everything on facebook. If I were the "little man" in the OP I think I would have been embarrassed by all the fuss.

BBbevan Sat 22-Sep-18 15:26:43

Well it's all about "Look at me. Aren't I a wonderful mother ? " isn't it?
Probably counting the 'likes' as I write.
Very shallow.

PECS Sat 22-Sep-18 15:32:42

Oh dear! My DGS just got back from school journey yesterday. I sent a text to DD to see how he had enjoyed it. Apparently he has lots of blisters! She did not post on FB.... I think that some folk have tough and dull lives. Maybe they watch soaps and aspire to the excitement & OTT lives of characters so post everything in the hope that it will feel exciting?

BlueBelle Sat 22-Sep-18 15:39:04

Blooming ridiculous, what do they do when he goes away for three weeks, hire a space in the newspaper

oldbatty Sat 22-Sep-18 15:42:55

Can't stand * little man*. Its a child.

DanniRae Sat 22-Sep-18 15:47:58

Just showing off, I think..........hmm

merlotgran Sat 22-Sep-18 15:55:21

I always used to make their favourite tea and maybe bake a cake when they returned from school trips. No facebook in those days of course and I didn't make a song and dance about it but it was nice to show them how much you've missed them and in any case they were always ready to gnaw their own arms off with hunger. grin

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-Sep-18 16:33:10

I used to send them straight to the bathroom for a shower and then a soak in the bath as they were normally extremely smelly and filthy.
Make their favourite dinner then an early night, their exploits were then discussed over breakfast, after a good nights sleep.

PECS Sat 22-Sep-18 16:47:35

I would not use that language or imply such an emotional return myself. The world is made up of all sorts of people and it is not particularly harmful. Sometimes I catch myself thinking badly about someone on FB but have to pull myself short and say ' Don't be snobby' ..because that is what it is a out.

sodapop Sat 22-Sep-18 16:53:09

I agree DanniRae just showing off. When my daughter was older she said that when she went on a school trip all the other parents waved the children off on the bus but her father & I were getting back in the car and leaving !!
Maybe benign neglect OldMeg

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-Sep-18 16:56:09

I will confess now, H & I forgot one time that one of our C was due home from a scouts trip, only to have him brought home by our vicar!!!

ninathenana Sat 22-Sep-18 18:51:42

smile Grannygravy

Melanieeastanglia Sat 22-Sep-18 20:36:38

It sounds over the top to me. I also wonder if the child concerned might have felt a little embarrassed.

GrannyGravy13's post made me chuckle.

I did once move house while one of my children was on a school trip and I joked to people that I wouldn't be giving my child the new address on my return!

Melanieeastanglia Sat 22-Sep-18 20:37:14

Sorry - I meant to write "on their return".

Willow500 Sat 22-Sep-18 20:47:59

I agree - some people post things on FB just for attention. I did see one the other day for the same reason but the child in question and all his clothes were filthy and being sent to the bathroom - it was a funny post not a gushing one.

M0nica Sun 23-Sep-18 08:23:48

Another of those Grandmas who 'loves, not wisely, but too well'

I am not sure every child wants this kind of full on treatment after they have been away on a school trip like this. I find many children need time to mentally digest all the new experiences they have had, and probably want a few quiet days at home before they even begin to talk about everything they did and felt.

Daisyboots Sun 23-Sep-18 19:41:04

Just like a friend's DD who posted a picture of a plate containing chicken nuggets, baked beans and those smiley faces fried potatoes saying how her son had complained he hadnt that for years so that was dinner for them all. So?

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Sep-18 20:25:14

I think people who post on FB in this way are needy, insecure and have very dull lives and so feel the need to let everyone know they have someone to love to prove they exist.

Mapleleaf Sun 23-Sep-18 21:50:48

I have to say I don’t do Facebook and can’t ever see a time when I will. ?

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Sep-18 07:27:01

I do FB as a way to keep in touch with friends I don’t see often, but I’m very picky as to who are my friends (I only have 38) and have tight privacy settings. I am in a couple of local groups and it’s a good way to see what’s going on in a community as so many organisations publicise events etc on FB.

Nanabilly Mon 24-Sep-18 07:59:27

I hate to see all this gushing of feelings for your children as if you are the most living parent ever. I have family members who post pics of themselves and child every single day and now having a second one so we also get "bump" photos weekly too.
There lives must be so sad and boring to have to do that.

PECS Mon 24-Sep-18 08:00:10

I use FB for same reason . Have 3 closed groups of friends plus,a couple of others. I use it less & less for anything else.