Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling older than I did

(46 Posts)
nanasam Thu 11-Oct-18 11:03:49

I had my NHS health check yesterday. I count myself fortunate that I don't take much medication and feel very fit and healthy with no major aches and pains.

I was chatting and laughing with the nurse, saying 'no' to all the usual 'have you had...' questions, whereupon she said "well, you ARE sprightly".

Excuse me - sprightly SPRIGHTLY ???? I always thought that was said to old people. My DM, at 96 had it said to her on many occasions. I felt older when I came out of the surgery!

Anyone had a 'compliment' that didn't quite hit the mark, or am I being a bit sensitive? I am 70 so I suppose I must seem old to the 45ish nurse!

winterwhite Thu 11-Oct-18 11:25:01

Asked to 'confirm' my age at a recent hospital appointment I said 73. 'Well!', was the response 'You could easily pass for 72!'

MawBroon Thu 11-Oct-18 13:50:19

“Damned with faint praise?” grin

NanaMacGeek Thu 11-Oct-18 14:10:10

I recently attended the phlebotomist in hospital for a routine bloodtest. I was asked for my date of birth but the phlebotomist evidently had trouble finding it. I gave it again and she looked at me and said that she'd made me 10 years younger by looking for the wrong year of birth. She then added that I could easily have been 10 years younger! My favourite phlebotomist!!!

Jane10 Thu 11-Oct-18 14:27:33

A 'friend' once told me that I was very smart in my own way!

ninathenana Thu 11-Oct-18 14:32:26

I don't walk as fast or as far as I used to. Wandering around a large shopping centre with DD I joked that maybe I need an electric scooter.
"I've been waiting for it" replied DD seriously !

paddyann Thu 11-Oct-18 15:12:21

You look fantastic...for your age .

Nonnie Thu 11-Oct-18 15:34:06

What is old? When does one become elderly? I think it is always 10 years older than the person asking the question.

Came back from town on the bus today with the grumblers and decided we will never get like that. One man was really beastly to the driver because the bus was late and 2 came at once. I thought the driver was very restrained. I really wanted to suggest to the man that it could be the second bus that was late and why would any bus driver be deliberately late but I restrained myself, Having sat by the window I was joined by another grumbler who complained that the driver didn't give her time to sit down. So the driver is supposed to wait for passengers to sit down but also not get behind the timetable. Hmm

mcem Thu 11-Oct-18 16:24:31

Feeling out of sorts and exhausted while recovering from a broken leg, I was surprised when my gp said we'd get me back to normal very soon as I was 'young and fit'. I questioned this and pointed out I 'd recently turned 70!
"Ah, but you're a young fit 70 and that's what we'll get you back to!"
I'm happy with that and greatly encouraged!

ChaosIncorporated Thu 11-Oct-18 18:37:21

In my 50's, I visited my ex MIL, whom I had not see for about 6 years (post divorce, and living overseas). The welcome has entered the family annals! "you are looking exceptionally well, dear, and you have aged into your face at last"

Just as well I loved her.

Asaded Mon 22-Nov-21 17:07:00

Perhaps it doesn't sound so offensive if you hear this from children. Neighborhood children once asked how old I am. I told them that I'm 67. You should have seen their faces. The guys are only 5 years old, and it seems that my age made them think hard about something.

Sapphire24 Mon 22-Nov-21 17:19:00

I'm blessed with youthful looks, so I'm told. Mid 50s but most people think I'm mid to late 40s (I wish). However in my youth it caused me all sorts of nightmares getting into pubs and clubs. One particular trip to USA when I was 31, I got asked for ID to prove I was 21. I could've kissed the barmaid and told her she was my best friend ...still had to show my ID though LOL

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 22-Nov-21 17:19:24

My son went to the same primary school as I did and I foolishly agreed to give his class a little talk on how the school had changed since my day. Things like some of the buildings had been put up since my day, we had outside loos, no school television, none of the children were dropped off in cars. One charming little girl asked me in all seriousness if I went to school in a horse and cart. I would have been about 40 at the time …

grandMattie Mon 22-Nov-21 17:22:28

Ditto…. “You look terrific - for your age”! ? Grrr

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 22-Nov-21 17:40:57

I would be very happy to be told I looked terrific (even good) for my age! Any compliment, no matter how back-handed, welcome here.

Marydoll Mon 22-Nov-21 17:53:54

A few years ago, I had an appointment on my birthday with the hand surgeon. He looked at my notes and said Wow, you look so much younger than your actual age. Best birthday present that year!

Marydoll Mon 22-Nov-21 17:54:59

PS, he wouldn't be able to say that nowadays!.

Kate1949 Mon 22-Nov-21 18:14:41

Sprightly grin Last year I had my flu jab at the pharmacy. The pharmacist asked me how old I was. I said 71. He said 'Really? My goodness'. I said 'Is that a good my goodness?' He replied 'It certainly is'. I floated home!

grannyrebel7 Mon 22-Nov-21 18:17:51

Our painters arrived a day early so I had to deal with them as DH was out. When he came back one of them said that they'd spoken to the "young lady"! Made my day smile

Witzend Tue 23-Nov-21 11:53:02

Don’t blame you, nanasam!

An aunt* of mine once said it was my mother’s own fault that she’d got Alzheimer’s. Now, if she’d only been more like the ‘sprightly 91 year olds’ at her church….

*not a favourite aunt, needless to say!

kircubbin2000 Tue 23-Nov-21 11:56:12

Out for a walk with dil she said now I know why old people never hurry crossing the road!
I can't go any faster.

kircubbin2000 Tue 23-Nov-21 12:04:12

When I went to a and e last year the nice nurse found me a chair in an alcove. I like to keep all my elderly seated over here she said.

sodapop Tue 23-Nov-21 12:18:19

grin that made me laugh nanasam sprightly is for old people not those of us only in our seventies.

grannyactivist Tue 23-Nov-21 12:22:02

I’m 68 and when I had my flu jab (under unusual circumstances) the doctor asked me if I was over 65, with the rider that she could see I’m not, but the protocol was to ask everyone who looked 50+.

I’ve got no hang-ups about my age, but I’m mostly presumed to be younger than I am. I think this is more to do with the fact that I’m still working in a fast paced job than about how I look.

lindiann Tue 23-Nov-21 12:34:27

A few years ago the road was icy a lovely young lady about 12 said be careful its icy let me help you across the road. I was in my 50's lol. Lovely thought though shows all the youngsters aren't the same smile